First time changing oil - help!

Hi guys. Not been around much but I try and pop my head in the door..

Anyway I've decided to give the car a mid-service oil change but I've never done it on my car before.

I was planning on jacking the car to gain access to the bottom tray and it should help as the drain point is at the rear of the engine, but can i put the stands on the sills or on the front susp. console brackets?

Do i need a special 'cup' to undo the oil filter top? I think there is a square 'nut' on the top of it, can i just use a spanner or wrench on it?

Thanks for the help!

but it won't do it any harm if you wish to change the oil more regularly than the Skoda recommended service schedules

its your money afterall

i've done mine every 2.5k , but then i got the oil for free

Thanks guys. But the turbo blowing last year has kind of swayed my mind into doing a mid-service change. Plus my driving habits had changed as i moved jobs so the engine is getting used more aggressively, stop-start short journeys, rather than the motorway driving i was doing where the oil and coolant was flowing around alot.

The oil from the garage seems cheap enough £18+VAT. Is it any good?

Hi guys. Not been around much but I try and pop my head in the door..

Anyway I've decided to give the car a mid-service oil change but I've never done it on my car before.

Thanks for the help!

Suck it out. Screwfix do a suction pump with all the pipes. Stick it in the dipstick 'ole, and out it comes. Leaves a bit of oil in the filter, they say. Use mine for 5000 mile oil changes.

Thanks guys. But the turbo blowing last year has kind of swayed my mind into doing a mid-service change. Plus my driving habits had changed as i moved jobs so the engine is getting used more aggressively, stop-start short journeys, rather than the motorway driving i was doing where the oil and coolant was flowing around alot.

The oil from the garage seems cheap enough £18+VAT. Is it any good?

The PD oil is about £13 per litre from Skoda so I would said that seems a bit on the low side if that's for 4.5l

I thought that it was the turbo feed pipe that gets clogged up due to 'cooking' the oil as opposed to how long its been in there?

Mine blew due to a nut detaching itself from the end of the turbine shaft but the chap did also change the feed pipe and there were definate signs of build up.

Make sure you get the correct spec for it.....can't remember the spec 501 something? I'll look it up, or somebody may be along to tell you.

Don't for christs sake put in the non spec PD oil....

Ta

I rang up the dealer in MK for front and rear pads, oil filter and they definately quoted 18+VAT for 5L of Oil. I've been in there a few times so i think its the Quantum oil, but i'll look tommorow when i go and decide then. There is always the Halfords 505.01 stuff for just over 30 quid anyway. Been buying their 1L bottles for top-ups.

Was going to do the pads all round and oil change at the same time. Just not looking forward to taking the rear wheels off!

Check the spec of the oil on the back of the can.

VW normally use Castrol GTX I think.

I just use AC Delcos 10w40 semi synth (it says petrol and diesel on the container) £11 for 5l from a local auto shop.

My local Skoda garage use Shell oil, (last time I bought some for a top up).

Not sure ablut the GTX bit though, I thought it was a special one just for VW group cars that Castrol made because of the PD engines?

Just make sure it's the correct 501 spec oil, you can't just sling in any semi synth oil!!!

The OP seems to have a Fabia vRS from his sig. so it's the PD engine.

ISTR my dealer uses Shell too (and if you check Henry Bros in Reviews -> Scotland, you'll see I think they're a good one).

Agreed you want a VAG 500 series diesel oil, for pretty much any of the current (any FWD Fabia, Octavia or Superb) diesels. The Delco stuff is fine for a Felicia diesel though.

Thanks guys but i know what type of oil i need! I've changed the oil before , in my old Saxo but i've never done it on my vRS.

I've just never really seen Shell oil for sale and in the garages i have seen it for sale, I've never seen the any as being 505.01 approved.

I thought Skoda garages used their own VAG statand stuff, Quantum isnt it?

Thanks guys but i know what type of oil i need! I've changed the oil before , in my old Saxo but i've never done it on my vRS.

I've just never really seen Shell oil for sale and in the garages i have seen it for sale, I've never seen the any as being 505.01 approved.

I thought Skoda garages used their own VAG statand stuff, Quantum isnt it?

As has been mentioned you need the correct oil.

At least £30 for 5 Litres. £18 is bobbins and probably the wrong stuff. You need liquid gold in the VRS or it may lead to premature turbo failure ETC.