Toms BMW 328i Project Journal

Tom_vRS

I'll keep quiet that one of my customers has a few in stock then. :o

Why not PM me some details ;). Has to be a 328i Sport LSD though (i.e. the car won't have ASR), not interested in an M3 et al diff. :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry mate!

Basically the headlight is built up of bulb holders, then reflectors, then lenses, then the glass. By removing the lense (de-lense) it makes the headlight look nice and crisp and modern.

:eek:

Bit of an update.

A few things in THIS thread...

Some pics of the damage to my bonnet where it flew open on the motorway :(

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

The lovely Apline X100 head unit with iPOD below the OBC.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

A couple of new interior shots

IMG_0010.jpg

Love the funky centre arm rest with movable cup holders etc!! :)

IMG_0009.jpg

Love the dish on the wheels

IMG_0017.jpg

And a couple of other random shots...

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

And look what arrived! Dear God its going to be fun building this...

IMG_0018.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Just a mini-update.

Fitted a replacement ignition barrel today as the old one was spinning round occasionally. Piece of cake, took 15mins. :thumbup:

Jesus!

You had a Mondeo when I moved house

Not had real internet access until today, and now I see that the Mondeo's gone and you have a beemer now :eek:

You dont hang about fella.

Anyway not seen all the pics/thread, but the first page pics are great :thumbup:

Looks a very nice example does that, so try and keep this one eh? :)

Cheers

Damian

Well, I just got back from 1400 miles of motoring bliss.

Yet to work out mpg, but don't care. The car didn't miss a beat, was soooo smooth, went very well especially when 5 up with a boot full of luggage, and was an absolute joy to drive on the lovely twisty A roads through Somerset, Devon and Cornwall. :) Approach a corner, ease off the gas, hint at the steering, then increase throttle input and steering input to balance the car perfectly to bring body roll down to tiny amounts, harder on the power once the bend opens up. Sheer motoring bliss. It enabled me to cover ground really VERY quickly with passengers who would normally be ill at being thrown round bends, or scream at the thought of such high cornering speeds. I love it completely!!! I've never had a car thats put such a smile on my face. :)

Its safe to say I don't have any reason to think I'll not be keeping this one!!! :thumbup:

Approach a corner, ease off the gas, hint at the steering, then increase throttle input and steering input to balance the car perfectly to bring body roll down to tiny amounts, harder on the power once the bend opens up. Sheer motoring bliss. It enabled me to cover ground really VERY quickly with passengers who would normally be ill at being thrown round bends, or scream at the thought of such high cornering speeds. I love it completely!!! I've never had a car thats put such a smile on my face. :)

Tom you crack me up mate, I knew the above statement rang a bell and low and behold back in April after driving your Octy VRS back from a meet you stated (is having a smile on your face better than being in heaven BTW?);

brake quite late, keep it on the threshold of ABS cutting in, blip the throttle by heel and toeing on the down changes, flick left and balance the throttle while flicking right, a hint of wheelspin and back right off the gas to kick the back end out a touch and back into line, feed the power in nice and smoothly and unleash the beast... oh I was in heaven!!!

Glad your enjoying the car :thumbup:

(can't wait to hear about your next one in a few weeks time)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've done 2500 miles in the 328i, and I love it. Extremely pleased with the average fuel consumption too, which was my only real concern when I bought it! Can't complain at nearly 30mpg from an old skool 2.8!!

Mini update (boring lol).

• Going to collect the replacement bonnet on Saturday, so looking forward to fitting that.
  • I spent all day Saturday working on the car, stripping down the door to fit a new lock barrel. Real PITA job, but not as bad as people made out it would be. However, after tumbling the new lock etc, it turns out its the door handle itself that is faulty. I sourced a second hand one, and it works, but its very stiff so I'll be looking to source a whole set of handles to respray in satin black, and a new set of seals too just to tidy things up.
  • Fitted the 18 button OBC best I could, but not hooked up the EWS connection, or the dials, and the check control all works as it should, but I think the small clock display is broken as the display says "insert date" but nothing comes up on the small display at all. Gutted, so thats something else to sort.

Next on the list is to get the bodywork dings removed, and replace the poorly BMW alarm with something a bit better quality.