MOT Fail CO2 emissions

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh point taken, mines a 100cel and just made it through emissions @ 0.29 max allowed 0.30 with 108 000k on clock. I have heard about the lambda sensor replacement and have also read that a lot of people are throwing away good cats just because of a lambda fault, so it might be worth a try.

Having had the turbo back Blueflame system with the 100 cet sports cat for many years, I have to say I have never had a problem and it sails through the MOT every time, having just done so a fortnight ago.

Edited by Beretta

Gerry mate;

Your one of those that fell into a bucket of tits and didn't come out sucking your thumb!

Lodsa peeps have the same system & the same problems, whats the cure?

Gerry mate;

Your one of those that fell into a bucket of tits and didn't come out sucking your thumb!

Lodsa peeps have the same system & the same problems, whats the cure?

Sorry mate, cannot speak with my mouth full...:D

PS:- Happy Birthday to my Octy vRS, it was seven yesterday, and still looks brilliant, and goes the way it should, and quite a bit more besides.

Basic fault finding for advanced emission test failures:

If a vehicle fails for high CO at idle and /or fast idle then.... if Lambda is too low, the mixture is too rich. This can be caused either by a misfire or by a faulty Lambda sensor. If it's running very rich, the 02 and HC will be higher than normal.

if it has a high Lambda and high 02 (0.5 to 1.5%), the "CAT" could be faulty. Before condemning it make sure its hot enough to work, the Lambda and other sensors are working OK and the exhaust downpipe hasn't got any leaks.

if the vehicle fails for high HC then ...if the CO passes, the vehicle is probably misfiring. Or if the CO fails and the Lambda reading is too low, the mixture is probably too rich and it may also be misfiring.

if the CO fails, the Lambda reading is high and the O2 reading is high (0.5 to 1.5%) the "CAT" could be faulty. Again check out the simple measures above before condemning it.

if the Lambda fails then...if its too high the Lambda sensor may be faulty, the mixture may be too weak or there may be a hole in the exhaust downpipe. If Lambda is too low the sensor may be faulty, the mixture may be rich or the vehicle may be misfiring.

Loads of stuff on google about it.

Very interesting Dr Martin, & now in plain English? :D

I get the gist of what your saying ,,,,,,,,,,,,, but!

The BF system was less that 3 months old when the engine light chucked a 'benny', so I would assume that all was well in the cat/downpipe/exhaust department.

How do you check that the Lambda & other sensors are working OK?

Also, I ain't got a misfire, deffo ,,, well not that I've noticed, and I assure you I would!

Still :confused:

Sounds like checking the lamda sensors might be a good idea. Anyway to check if they are in good working order? Also just for future reference does anybody know how much it is to replace both lamda sensors?

Thanks

I have had the same Blueflame 100CEL System on 2 different cars over 3 MOT's and it has sailed through no problems....just coming up to the second MOT in the next couple of months

• 2 weeks later...

Changed both lambda's and had it back in for emissions today and it still failed! Had dropped slightly from 0.9 to 0.7 on fast idle when it should be 0.3 or below and from 0.99 to 0.54 on idle when it should be 0.5 or below. I got the car nice and hot aswell. Only thing I can think to do now is go back to blueflame?

Spoke to Blueflame and they said they don't give any warranty for the cat. The car is running sweet as a nut so its not like its overfueling or anything its just I can't get it to pass the emissions test. The only thing I can think is that I will have to buy another cat off them even though my full system is only 9 months old. Will a normal garage be able to test a cat to see if it is working? Anything else that could effect emissions?

Thanks

definitely take it to be emissions tested somewhere else for a second opinion before you shell out for a new Cat.

Has the Cat had any bad history that you are aware of - rich running, misfire for extended period, physical trauma.. anything that may have caused the Cat grief at any stage?

Spoke to Blueflame and they said they don't give any warranty for the cat.

They didn't say that when I got mine.

The statement was " the system is guaranteed for life while still in my ownership".

I'm sure others were told this, sounds like a cop-out from Blueflame to me.

Anyone thinking of a Blueflame zorst ,,,,, think again!

The cat hasn't had any problems at all so I think I will get the emissions tested somewhere else and then if still too high I will have another word with blueflame and see what they say.

Thanks for all replys to my thread

it does seem poor that they would be so dismissive of any responsibility at 9 months old, but I suppose from their point of view there are too many uncontrolled conditions that could cause Cat damage. There's only really three main failure mechanisms which are due to "misuse" if thats the right term -

Melted core - excess fuel for extended period causing excessive core temperature

Broken core - physical trauma causing the core to break up

Poisoning - leaded fuel or silicone contamination for example

These causes should be identifyable by inspection by the manufacturer, it would be nice to think they would offer to inspect it rather than relinquish any responsibility for warranty, even if only for goodwill

It would be nice to think they would offer to inspect it rather than relinquish any responsibility for warranty, even if only for goodwill

I dought it mate, they've had lodsa dosh from us here, maybe the guv is now thinking about his villa in Costa del Robbers.