Alloy wheel corrosion under warranty?

One of my alloys has started to develop a nice blister. How bad does this have to get before dealers will treat it as a warranty issue?

I'll get a picture later.

I think they will politely tell you where to get off, mine did, had same problem on my Seat, they replaced all four wheels. Seems you get a decent warranty with Seat, the Skoda one is like Tesco Value.

I've never had a problem with Skoda warranty issues...

your lucky, will have to try another dealer. I was told I should wash my alloys every week, more if salty weather conditions. Not only to wash the alloy wheel face, but to remove from car and clean behind as well.

I've found Skoda warranty claims (certainly from Autosales Cannock) too much like hard work- they don't return calls, they claimed my front bumper has been repainted- so I didn't even try to claim for the small blisters on one of my Fabia alloys. I've found Audi dealers the most cooperative, one Seat dealer (which no longer has the franchise) very good, and VW a bit variable.

I'll probably get the wheels refurbed one day, if I can beg/borrow/steal a set to use.

Can't see why it shouldn't be covered if the wheel has no signs of damage. I think it comes about from poor design where the spokes have sharp edges rather than having a radius on them. When they are painted the paint is thinner on the edges. You could argue that as the paint on the wheels is not up to the job of protecting them from corrosion and by its use in this application Skoda have deemed it fit for this purpose, the paint on the wheel is defective or its application is defective. The warranty states that the car is covered against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two years unlimited mileage or three years upto 60,000 miles.

I've found Skoda warranty claims (certainly from Autosales Cannock) too much like hard work- they don't return calls, they claimed my front bumper has been repainted- so I didn't even try to claim for the small blisters on one of my Fabia alloys. I've found Audi dealers the most cooperative, one Seat dealer (which no longer has the franchise) very good, and VW a bit variable.

I'll probably get the wheels refurbed one day, if I can beg/borrow/steal a set to use.

At the end of the day the dealer doesnt pay the warranty claim Skoda do. Most warranty repairs go for a pre claim autho so the dealer doesnt get stuck with a bill that Skoda wont pay for. If Skoda say no then thats it.

At the end of the day the dealer doesnt pay the warranty claim Skoda do. Most warranty repairs go for a pre claim autho so the dealer doesnt get stuck with a bill that Skoda wont pay for. If Skoda say no then thats it.

The dealer I went to said to me that they would have to foot the bill for the wheels and then try and claim the money back from Skoda warranty.

In this case the dealer didn't refer to Skoda UK. Isn't the 2nd/3rd year provided the dealerships?

I did get SUK involved, but then suffered the dealer not calling me back. Ever. Got bored with it in the end, so they won't get any servicing, parts, or future car business from me.

Had all four wheels on my previous fabia vrs (only 2 years old) changed under warrenty due to blistering/corrosion some on the spokes some on the inside of the wheels.I had to argue and provided numerous photos, the dealer was autosales in cannock, the service manager there didnt want to know had to push all the way,wont use them for service off my new car.

the dealer was autosales in cannock, the service manager there didnt want to know had to push all the way,wont use them for service off my new car.

Tell me about it. Happy to sell the car, happy to take money for a service, not interested in warranty, never called me back. Sales staff seem OK for car salesmen. Midland VW got the work for my last service: I won't hurry back to Autosales.

I phoned the Bilston Autosales a couple of months ago after some information on a vehicle that they supplied, still waiting for a call back. I read recently about one importer who replaced the chassis on a 10 year old 4X4 which was paid for under warranty, this makes Skoda seem a trifle miserly.

Had all four wheels on my previous fabia vrs (only 2 years old) changed under warrenty due to blistering/corrosion some on the spokes some on the inside of the wheels.I had to argue and provided numerous photos, the dealer was autosales in cannock, the service manager there didnt want to know had to push all the way,wont use them for service off my new car.

I am getting mugged off by Skoda warranty about my wheels. All four are blistering on the inner rim, and have been told this is wear and tear.

Edited by jamesmckelvie

Mazda wheels are notorious for this but to be fair mazda seem pretty good in changing them. I wouldn't be happy if my dealer/manufacturer wiped their hands of the issue.

Without explicit care instructions in the manual how can they refuse a claim unless there's obvious damage - stone chips, kerbing etc?

autosales originally told me they would change the wheels but if skoda then rejected the claim i would have to pay for them, refused to do this so after a call direct to skoda customer services they agreed to change them at no risk to myself,couldnt get one of my rear brake calipers changed though which the green paint was coming off,they said it was the way i had cleaned the wheels,the fact that the paint was fine on the other three calipers cleaned the same way made no difference.

I am proper getting mugged off, because my wonderful local dealership have said the wheels are corroding due to wear and tear, Skoda UK are not willing to help. I do not see how Skoda UK can say this when they haven't seen the wheels, and going off the word of one person who may be wrong. Can anyone give me any advice please. Thanks.

I am proper getting mugged off, because my wonderful local dealership have said the wheels are corroding due to wear and tear, Skoda UK are not willing to help. I do not see how Skoda UK can say this when they haven't seen the wheels, and going off the word of one person who may be wrong. Can anyone give me any advice please. Thanks.

Try another dealer, or write to Skoda UK.

Other than that? Find a refurb firm :mad:

My missus Toyota Rav 4 had the same problem all 4 wheels bubbling. Took it to the dealer one quick look and then within the hour she had brand new wheels on it. Fantastic service. I use Autosales Bilston for all my warrenty work and never had any problems with them. If the wheels are corroded then Skoda should foot the bill. Might be worth getting a second opinion on them from a independant bodyshop or something.

• 3 years later...

I know this is very old but I have noticed all 4 wheels have bubbling rust underneath the paintwork around the air valves. There is no damage to the wheel to cause this so I am assuming this is corriosion underneath the paint. The wheels are cleaned (ph neutral cleaner) and sealed so I cant see how this has happened due to me. Does the 10 year paint warranty cover for this or will i be paying out for a referb? thanks

I know this is very old but I have noticed all 4 wheels have bubbling rust underneath the paintwork around the air valves. There is no damage to the wheel to cause this so I am assuming this is corriosion underneath the paint. The wheels are cleaned (ph neutral cleaner) and sealed so I cant see how this has happened due to me. Does the 10 year paint warranty cover for this or will i be paying out for a referb? thanks

As with everything, it's worth trying to claim under warranty, but I suspect wheels won't be covered, even under the paint/perforation warranty due to the abuse from the elements. You'd struggle to prove that the damage is due to poor build/materials as opposed to damage and/or wear an tear.

Like I said though, definately worth a try. If you don't get the answer you are looking for skoda may pay half your refurb or replacement costs as a goodwill gesture.