Superb after a thousand miles

Poor old thing has done 1000 miles in its first week :eek: Was averaging 20k per year in the Passat, though due to changes at work, I may be doing more in the Superb.

I've tried to stick to 3000 revs and below, which usually is fine as the turbo kicks in so early. If I take my time, I do get 50mpg out of it, but the average is closer to 45mg. I do like the power delivery and torque - though I don't like the smoke out the back.

This is my first diesel though, so I've got to get used to this sort of thing. Filled it up twice already, and got covered in diesel. Is it normal for the diesel pump handle to be covered in the stuff? I'll have to get used to filling up with spare tissues!

As I mentioned in another thread, the Superb has more road presence than the Passat, with people , moving over quicker on the motorway. I have had admiring glances at the car, and I just know they're trying to work out what it is!

On the way up to Runcorn the other day I saw two other Superbs :eek: - the things are getting common ;):D Felt like I was out wearing the same dress. (Well not dress, but doesn't sound so good if you say the same shirt :D ) Just shows how rare they still are - 2 in 200 miles isn't a lot. One was silver (on the M56 westbound in case it was anyone on here), and the other was a taxi on the Runcorn Bridge. Seem to be a few Superb taxis on Merseyside.

The kids love the car as they are too far back to reach to smack :D Just got to make sure I make a big effort to keep the car clean - so hard to do with kids in the car. :(

Cruise Control is a bit of a waste of space on most UK roads these days, as you'd only be able to cruise for 20 yards before having to brake. However, put it to good use on the M6 Toll, which for the most part is quiet enough. Too easy to go far too fast on that road, and I've seen a lot of drivers pulled over, so the cruise set to just below 80mph, saves even more diesel, and my licence! Totally different road to normal motorways - that speed puts you in the first lane with all the slow moving traffic.

I do like the foot rest too - for some reason, the Passat had a half size thing which was too small to rest your foot on. The Superb has a full size one, and is getting a lot of use on the long Motorway trips.

Auto-Wipers. Took me a while to suss that they work on the normal intermittant setting. I find that they don't come on quick enough when it starts raining - seem to need to wake it up by clicking the wipers on manually, then the autowipers get into their stride. Only thing is I forget whether they are on or not, when it's not raining. So when it starts to rain, and they don't start (which they do, when they are on, as explained above!) I'm thinking - "they're going ot come on any second", then "but did I swith them off earlier?" - suppose it keeps my mind ocupied on the dull motorway journey!

When I've been parking, I'm paranoid about scratching the alloys - also try to park where no one else is likely to park. Not always possible in busy car parks which makes me even more paranoid about car park dings. Anyway, so far so good - just the stone chip on the bonnet (after about 130 miles!).

Love the car. Why are more people not buying it? Exclusivity is part of the appeal, but surely the badge snobs must be turning their attention to other marques by now???

kprm77,

Good post, glad your enjoying your car.

I love driving mine also it was great on a recent 3500mile European holiday, especially on the German Autobahns were it was so composed and quiet even when running at 120+ its just as enjoyable as my Octavia RS on these roads. I do wonder sometimes about the motoring press about the Superbs and Passats drive, I have found it a good arounder even when pushed in country roads.

Just had a new windscreen fitted due to a stone chip on the recent holiday- no problem as it was in stock being the same as a Passat with the fitted used to fitting them, the auto wipers still work fine after the new screen.

John

Good post that Kevin. I'm still as paranoid as you regarding where I park with fear of getting damaged doors and scuffed alloys.That's aftrer 3 months too!

Just wish the Superb was a hatchback. Couldn't live with a booted car anymore. Couldn't live with those wretched auto wipers either. Got them on our citroen. Totally hate them.Total waste of space and money. The variable wipe with timer on the Fab is much more user friendly IMHO.

The exclusivity bit is the best isn't it. People are totally amazed when they see a Skoda close to now. Good init!! Lets hope it stays that way.

Just looking at the price of that new polo gt thing. Notice the price of the 3 door is

Good post Kevin. Diesel on hands is not nicie :thumbdwn: . As Colin has pointed out its a shame its not a hatch or my dad would have one. He really likes the car but hes had a saloon before and hated it with his work tools and diy. Pitty would of liked swaping cars now and then.

I would agreed with you Colin on the sensor wipers, until I had spent some time with them and now I think there heaps better than set-time intermitent wipers, even if time adjustable. I find the sensortivity adjustment perfect, and have no problems with them and find them a real bonus when you get that sudden burst/spray that normal timed sweeps would be caught out by.

As for the hatchback thing, well I would not have one if it was a hatch back, estate maybe but hatch no.

Must admit, the only real problem I had with the Passat, was the boot and its limited access. And I go and get a Superb with exactly the same boot :rolleyes: A lot of the manufactures seem to think that the boot is the way to go, and a hatch is too downmarket. This happened with Saab, where they used to do a huge hatch - the 9000, then built the 9-5 with a saloon. There are no end of people in 9000's who want another big hatch, though even the 9-3 is a saloon now.

As has been said here before, a Superb Estate would be a winner - but maybe too much of a winner, likely to take sales from the Passat Estate.

As for the diesel - I'll have to drive round with spare gloves/towels in the car. The petrol station where I got covered in the stuff had nothing on the forecourt - had to ask in the shop for some paper towels.

Definately exclusive - mine's the only one I know of in Hinckley where I live. Have seen a Superb taxi in Nuneaton with 17 inch solid alloys, and that black lowered Superb with the non standard big alloys on the A47 towards Leicester and that's it. Used to be pleased that the Passat was the only one on our street! Actually there's an Estate down the road, so I suppose my part of the street. I digress :rolleyes:;):D

Feel almost like a pioneer getting a Superb - going to the places the badge snobs, and the sheep dare not go. My Mrs was totally against me getting a Skoda - got it anyway :D Think she's changing her mind now we've got it. :thumbup:

Dont you just love watching Passats yo-yo past you?

The look of horror/disgust on Passat drivers faces is priceless, and its even better when the "wife"is riding shotgun and gives it the big point and questions said driver....oh so funny. Although, we have got a little tired of waiving and grinning at them.

Think Andy that if the C5 had the same facility on the auto wipe that yours obviously has, I may see it in a different light p'raps.

Still couldn't do without the hatchback though. What you are used to i suppose.Shame 'cus it's a fine looking motor...especially in Kentish blue!! :D

Dont you just love watching Passats yo-yo past you?

The look of horror/disgust on Passat drivers faces is priceless' date=' and its even better when the "wife"is riding shotgun and gives it the big point and questions said driver....oh so funny. Although, we have got a little tired of waiving and grinning at them.[/quote']

Think I know what you mean :D :D I'm sure there have been cars that have let me past just to take a look!

a very good friend of mine traded his older passat 1.8t for the latest model, highline version, which is the fullest

after getting in my car, he wasn't very pleased with his

so i entered his car to see why..

well, looks like many small details are better on superb

door handles, interior lighting, refrigerator, small right mirror, and many more details make a bit difference here and there..

the dashboard foamy stuff is at least of equal quality to highline passat, and i was surprised because I have heard in the past that the plastic quality was better on the vw

well, it's not.. no way

my friend even swears that the car looks and feels bigger from the drivers seat..

here in greece, more and more taxis are becoming superbs, which is prove for their excellent quality

in the skoda dealership -garage i go for service, lots of taxis go also (in greece, a good way to find a good garage is to see where the cab drivers go ;) )

so, i have heard from them tha diesel version superb is much faster than diesel octavia..

of course not even counting the v6 version..

i found this strange, because of the extra weight, but who am I to question the cab drivers?

a, also here in athens diesel engines are not allowed for private use.. only gasoline..

strange, huh?

ps. also i know that a lot of them had problems with a specific part, which they found out is best replaced by a vw passat v6 component

i am not sure how to translate the part in english, next time I go to the garage i will try to get the name of the part in english

a very good friend of mine traded his older passat 1.8t for the latest model, highline version, which is the fullest

after getting in my car, he wasn't very pleased with his

so i entered his car to see why..

well, looks like many small details are better on superb

door handles, interior lighting, refrigerator, small right mirror, and many more details make a bit difference here and there..

I'd agree with that - love the lights on the door handles, the lights on the door mirrors, the silver plate thing (kick plate?), plastics do seem the same quality as the Passat. The only thing that does seem to be worse than the Passat is the seats - if I get another Superb, I'll go for the leather, then it'd be perfect.

my friend even swears that the car looks and feels bigger from the drivers seat..

It does! Don't know if it's the slope of the bonnet - more aware of the front of the car in the Superb than the Passat. Used to have a Mk IV Cortina, and its bonnet seemed to go on for miles, making the car feel huge!