Wot No 58 Plates

loads in leeds...

what doesnt help is that from a distance its very hard to tell a 58 from a 56 or a 55.....

Strange, I have not seen any in Leeds :confused:

6 Months ago there were plenty of new cars at work, but none this time...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst car sales since the 1960's.

Might be something to do with the governments screw the motorist campaign

What, you mean it's nothing at all to do with the credit crunch, falling house prices, the cost of oil, petrol companies making vast profits, etc etc? I'm not at all suggesting that the government is blameless in all respects, but it's rather inaccurate to blame this particular problem on them!

The only thing I can think of that the government has done that's actually targeted at car users is the VED rate change, and the effect that would have is to change the type of car people buy, not stop them buying one altogether. They've even suspended the fuel duty escalator that was actually put in place originally by the other lot.

Come on, we CAN do rational rather than rant on here, can't we?

This time last year, lots of us were boasting about our new cars. Yet, I'm still to see a 58 plate on any motor :(

There must be some stunning deals about!!!!!!

Edited by Ray_Green
Crap spelling, again! It does my head in.

Worst car sales since the 1960's.

Might be something to do with the governments screw the motorist campaign

That might affect sales of larger thirstier cars under your theory , but instead wouldn't that see plenty of people all buying more efficient cars instead?

The reason there are so few new cars is because of fairly heavy inflation (especially on fuel) , poor availability of cheap credit and general financial uncertainty.

They are all contributing to putting people off making a large purchase which is hardly surprising.

I'm sure you think this is all down to a Labour government and none of it would have happened if Maggie was still in charge

What, you mean it's nothing at all to do with the credit crunch, falling house prices, the cost of oil, petrol companies making vast profits, etc etc? I'm not at all suggesting that the government is blameless in all respects, but it's rather inaccurate to blame this particular problem on them!

The only thing I can think of that the government has done that's actually targeted at car users is the VED rate change, and the effect that would have is to change the type of car people buy, not stop them buying one altogether. They've even suspended the fuel duty escalator that was actually put in place originally by the other lot.

Come on, we CAN do rational rather than rant on here, can't we?

You'd think so , wouldn't you....

This time last year, lots of us were boasting about our new cars. Yet, I'm still to see a 58 plate on any motor :(

There must be some stunning deals about!!!!!!

I think there must be some good deals around, but finance is more expensive and more difficult to come by - for example Skoda are now charging 8.5% on its Solution scheme for the Octavia, whereas last year it was 5.5% plus they may be more choosey over who they give credit to.

So if you've got cash you can probably grab a bargain on almost any make, particularly anything with a high C02 rating.

Time for that Aston I think (just need a lottery win first :rolleyes:)

here's the picture taken of mine today... as you can see, not quite ready to go on the road yet :D
(sorry, not a great phone-camera thing but basically the top is covered in that white stuff to protect the paintwork)[/
quote]

That's a Skoda steel topy to stop the incoming hail stones:rofl::rofl:

Seen quite a few, in fact I'm sure I saw one on the road before the official release date (3rd September wasn't it?)

Saw a gunmetal grey 58 Golf last weekend, also a white 58 Mazda 6 on my way to work earlier this week, and have seen a couple of the new BMW 1 series coupe/convertibles on the way to work (there were hundreds of them out in Germany in July)

I have seen one blue vRS 58 estate on the road too. :thumbup: