Felicia rear disc brake conversion

• 1 year later...

I am sorry if I post in an old discussion... but I think that it can interest some people that look years ago this topic...

From 2009 to nowdays... have you some news about the spacer and the camber?

About bolts, use you steel bolts?

With the camber, used you normal hole, or you do the hole in plan?

Cheers Act...

Stock felly have at the rear usually 1°of negative camber. Im using 20mm spacer with additional 2° of neg. camber and its working fine. Tyres are worn less than on the front. Bolts are class 10.9 and i didnt care about the angle cause bolt spacer i used is quite soft so it deformed.

On the other end i dont recommend bigger negative camber on the rear without mods to the front axle, understeer will massively worsen...

• 3 months later...

I have read this alot know. have sombody figer out wath chana handbrake cabel to use?? i traid Polo, golf, and audi. can`t find the right cabel.

HELP!!!

Whats wrong with using the felicia handbrake cable? You will need to make a spacer though to fit either at the caliper end or inside the car.

Plus this setup wont work unless you can install a bigger master cylinder, or if your car has ABS it may work...

I'm running Golf GTi rear disks on my rally Felicia. Used the Felicia handbrake cable (golf one is far too short) but I shortened it at the caliper end by cutting off the crimped ends and welding on some new ones. Making up a spacer would work just as well I guess.

I'm running an Audi 200 master cylinder (23.8mm, as opposed to the standard 22mm).

cheers

James

I'm running Golf GTi rear disks on my rally Felicia. Used the Felicia handbrake cable (golf one is far too short) but I shortened it at the caliper end by cutting off the crimped ends and welding on some new ones. Making up a spacer would work just as well I guess.

I'm running an Audi 200 master cylinder (23.8mm, as opposed to the standard 22mm).

cheers

James

What brakes are you using upfront James?

What brakes are you using upfront James?

I've got Wilwood Midlite 4-pot calipers on custom brackets, with 256mm vented discs off a post-2001 ABS-equipped Hyundai Getz (they fit straight on to the Skoda hubs - same stud pattern, centre bore and even the little grub screw lines up)

Not really tried it all in anger yet - hoping to get an entry in for the Lindisfarne rally on Otterburn on 11th September.

Cheers

James

James do you get any problems at full lock with those 4pots on there? Do they bind anywhere?

No, not so I've noticed anyway. I did have to change to 14" wheels to fit them in - I used the smaller Powerlite calipers on the old car, which were too small for a car as heavy as the skoda - I think they are really for lightweight kit cars and the like

cheers

James

Are midilites radial or lug mounted? Have you by chance got any pictures of this setup? Or even better the dimensions of the mounting brackets you made up for them?

I'm going to need to tame the 20v power with some beefy brakes on mine.

Also have you got any more info on the Audi 200 master cylinder? Pictures, part numbers etc?

• 3 weeks later...

Are midilites radial or lug mounted? Have you by chance got any pictures of this setup? Or even better the dimensions of the mounting brackets you made up for them?

I'm going to need to tame the 20v power with some beefy brakes on mine.

Also have you got any more info on the Audi 200 master cylinder? Pictures, part numbers etc?

Hi Tom,

Sorry for slow response - took me a while to remember to take pictures whilst the wheels were off.

Anyroad, here's a couple of pictures of the Midilite installation. They use 256mm Vented Discs of a Hyundai Getz (ABS model) which fit exactly onto the Felicia Flange (the little grub screw hole even lines up).

The calipers are radial mount, and I had the brackets made up by a local engineering company. The design isn't elegant, but I had them made in steel for strength, and I just designed the most simple shape that would work.

Here's a pic from the outside...

DSC_0493.jpg

You'll see I needed 5mm spacers to make the wheels I'm using fit - VW 9 spoke alloys. If you got wheels with a different offset, that could be avoided (I've got 16 of these wheels!)

And the inside (this one's not too good, but you get the gist I'm sure)

DSC_0491.jpg

Here's a little schematic of the measurements...

brackets.jpg

And a 3d picture. I designed them in the eMachineshop tool just for fun, but the machine shop I used just based them on a wooden template and my measurements...

brackets2.jpg

As for the master cylinder, it's Audi part number 4A0611021D, and is 23.8mm diameter. I was lucky enough to find a NOS one on eBay. It only has two outputs (one for the front, and one for the rear on my car) rather than the standard Felicia M/C's four outputs.

I used the car in anger on the Lindisfarne rally on the Otterburn ranges in Northumberland yesterday, and the brakes were pretty damned impressive, though I think choice of pads is worth playing with. I tried the Wilwood Smart Pad type A, which is great by very noisy as a road pad. I then swapped to the Mintex M1155 (available from Rally Design, but not in their catalogue) which is quieter, but to be honest, I don't think it's as good a pad for competition use. EBC also do pads for the Midilite caliper.

Any more questions, just ask.

CHeers

James

P.S. In return, would you mind sharing your design for the 1.4 16v motor right hand engine mount with me - or possibly even selling me a mount if you've any more spare?

• Like 1

Thank you for that info old fruity :rofl:

I like that bracket youve made up for them, it doesnt matter what it looks like so long as it does the job, I'm very familiar with the brake discs you mention as I'm using them on my current setup on my pickup using mk1 Mondeo callipers, it's almost like they were designed for the job tbh.. Ive had a slight change of plan on the 1.8t car, due to driveshaft issues I'm swapping out the front uprights for 6n polo ones, it's not a straight bolt on fit sadly and the balljoints need to be modified, also means a complete damper/suspension change too but at least I can use mk2/3 golf dampers or coilovers which are dead easy to find, this setup also allows me to use a bog standard oe fit twin piston calliper from a golf rallye with the g60 280mm disc so it kind of kills 3 birds with one stone...

If you want I can email you the auto cad dxf file for the parts that make up the engine mounting bracket so you can get them made up yourself, or if you don't mind waiting a little while I'm going to be getting some made soon because a few people have asked for them now, I'm going to revise the design slightly too to make it more rally friendly and use 5mm aluminium plate, the original ones I made were hugely over engineered and made from 12mm thick cr4 which is an expensive grade of structural grade strip milled mild steel.. That stuff will stop a 50cal bullet dead! I'll get back to you on it! In the meantime if you pm me your email address I'll send the current version over to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Whats wrong with using the felicia handbrake cable? You will need to make a spacer though to fit either at the caliper end or inside the car.

Plus this setup wont work unless you can install a bigger master cylinder, or if your car has ABS it may work...

Thanks, buy i figger the **** out know. so know "it works" yes i have abs. and i just uset the same abs rings on the org and aplyed the diskbrake. so know i just need to be don with the rest of the car

• 3 months later...

few pics from when i had this setup on the back of my felicia

Mk3 golf GTI rear stub axles, cariiers and calipers

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/253d9ed8-8d4f-405a-9f3c-b6028b897690.jpg

then MK2 golf gti rear discs added

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/f4436c28-e437-4802-84d8-ae77351e24cd.jpg

added a spacer for the handbrake,a tube with a washer welded to it

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/abd28160-0230-4d1a-b608-803d9029673c.jpg

on the car

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/4c2bb87c-5702-4a36-a366-435cac418e70.jpg

the master cylinder required to make this setup work, part number is 4A0611021D

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/948847d0-07c9-4e37-ba16-a4cc8c2316ac.jpg

• 2 months later...

anyone think instead of having mk3 golf gti rear calipers with 38mm piston having mk2 golf gi rear calipers with 36mm piston would make any difference or is the difference too little to have any affect?

do you need to reduce the effectiveness of the rear caliper?

if you wanted them to work harder/with a hydraulic handbrake then you could use Bora rears that have 42mm piston

nope, basically when i had this set up before the rear caliper pistons were too big for the master cylinder so the brake pedal went straight to the floor with no brakes at all.

Ive put this setup back on the car now and installed a 23.8mm master cylinder and its all bled up, however the pedal goes to the floor but atleast there is some braking now, its just right at the bottom of the pedal and isnt full braking power only enough to hold the car from rolling down my drive (its a steep drive).

Its not far away from working, so i was thinking having a smaller size piston they may work better with the master cylinder but is the size difference enough to make any difference?

i dont fancy going back to drums for the second time so is there anything else that could be done to improve the pressure abit? as its not far off at all just not quite enough pressure for full brakes

ok did you adjust the servo pushrod where it goes into the master cyl? its adjustable and should have just the tinyest amount of free play at rest.

what size master cyl do the golf's have when they have rear disks as it sounds a bit like you have some air trapped somewhere (we have run felly calipers on the rear with sierra fronts on a std mastercyl and that still gives a decent pedal but quite a bit of travel.)

yeah it was adjusted.

and i have looked into the golf master cylinder sizes and from what i have found they seem to be 22.2mm so i have no idea why it doesnt work but then again others say its 23 or 24mm

Il try and blled the system again see if its any better.

Would that pressure limiter valve cause any issues with this setup?

im also going to try and fit braided hoses all around this should help get a better pedal id imagne.

pressure limiter shouldn't effect it much. sometimes the golf calipers hang at the wrong angle with the wheel jacked up so maybe try undoing the bottom 13mm bolt and angling the caliper so that the bleed nipple is at the highest point (I always just let gravity do its thing with bleeding). also sometimes the calipers won't ratchet up properly until the handbrake is worked on and off a few times.

• Like 1

ok bled the brakes again and still no joy, took it down the mechanic in my street, he bled it, adjusted the clevis, checked the servo, and checked the pressure limiter valve, but still nothing, so now i have no idea what to try!

Only thing he did say was that he tried the pressure limiiter there was plently pressure going into it but hardly any coming out, could this just be normal as it limiting pressure to rear or do you think because my car is lowered quite alot at the back it has buggered this limiter valve up?

or any or suggestions thanks.