Judders, rattles and squeaks!

My '57 plate Diesel vRS is just coming upto 18k, and therefore due a service in the near future. There are a couple of small but annoying issues I have, but as I am not technically minded, thought I might try to pick the brains of those who are!

It has an exhaust rattle (I think) that makes most noise when pulling away but then seems to disappear, and a very pronounced judder when under load between 1200-1500 rpm. As for squeaks, I'm not sure where any of them are coming from, but they do spoil a very good car at times!

Are these problems others have had, and if so, what can do about them?

In addition, the car also feels a bit "baggy", particularly the gear shift, as though it's done more miles than it actually has. It does get driven pretty hard, but to my mind doesn't feel as tight as I would expect. I appreciate it might all just be in my head, but does anyone else have the same thoughts?

Final question - I am based in Wigan, and Chapelhouse has recently closed down. Does anyone have an opinion as to the best franchised dealer around the area to use for servicing?

Thanks in anticipation, great website!

The odd rattle and squeak are common place on Skodas - you're best trying to resolve them by yourself rather than trying to get the dealer to do it.

Regarding the exhaust rattle this may be a loose bracket and should be easily fixed.

I've found a few rattles on mine which might be common to all Octavia's.

They are never where you think they are coming from in my experience.

1. The 'pipe' that goes from the rear view mirror up to the headlining vibrates against the windscreen. Blutack cured that one.

2. The gearstick surround is quite a loose fit near the ashtray. More Blutack underneath!

3. The diagnostic socket under the dash on drivers side is loose in my car. I jammed a bit of foam down the side of it to keep it tight. Thought Blutack might wreck it!

Try those spots.

As for the judder, my diesel (2.0, 140) doesn't really start to pull until about 1800 rpm. Maybe you are asking a bit much of it.

Exhaust rattle sounds like a dealer job to me.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

RDX

Hi there,

I had a very nasty rattle in my Scout. Just where the window pillar meets the dashboard (I and a lot of other people thought:D). It started to rattle when driving about 60 mph and it stopped when driving faster than 90 mph:(. After a long search it turned out to be a screw in plate at the bottom (!!!) the car (below the front seat), that rattled against the steel body......:eek:

My '57 VRS TDI has covered 26k and I'm still quite impressed over the lack of rattles. However, I do note a drone from the exhaust at a certain RPM, especially with the cruise on. Under load it disapears but is quite pronounced:confused: