The old 17705/17545 chestnut

Jigger72

I've looked all over this site and other VAG 1.8T related sites and found no definitive answer to the 17705 conundrum but I'm going to try a few of the suggested fixes. I replaced the DV with a Forge 007 about 4 weeks ago but the EML came back after about 2 weeks, and it seems to come back every 2-3 weeks after I erase the codes, but my question is, is there any chance the car is going to suffer any serious damage with these codes?

I'm putting it in for a service next month so I'll ask them to check all the pipes and I'm going to get a new N75 this week but it's doing my head in now. Sometimes the car feels like a proper turbo and then it just drives without the pull for a couple of days before getting back to proper turbo pull again. It doesn't limp as such, just doesn't pull as cleanly as I know it should. Sorry for boring everyone with the same old topic. :thumbup:

Your not boring me mate! I totally understand how irritating it is. I had those codes for months, until I finally fixed it back in July. Still not back, so fingers crossed!

Here's a list, in order, of what I changed on the hunt:

-Cam cover breather hose (was perished)

-Vacuum hose off inlet manifold (was perished)

-Forge DV

-Air filter

-Pressure hose from turbo to intercooler (the long one)

-Air temperature sender in inlet manifold

-N249

-Pressure hose from intercooler to TB

-TB clean (this, combined with the new hose, fixed it!!)

I couldn't believe that just cleaning the throttle body would fix it, so I ignored what people told me and replaced things that could be wrong in my mind. How wrong I was! The things I replaced will have only helped the engine, so I'm not too bothered anyway.

The car is good as gold now, and I even tried a 6 hour trial remap recently, which I'm sure would have showed up any leaks with its 7psi increase in peak boost pressure!

If you do clean the TB, remember to get a spare gasket and a small hose clip before you start the job. I just used carb cleaner and kitchen towel carefully on mine.

Give it a try. Good luck.

Cheers mate, all these things are on the list but it's finding the time at the moment. So you don't think there's a risk of any serious damage? I know others have had these codes for ages with the same lack of boost effects. Glad to hear about your remap. I'm going for one early next year and i can't wait :D but thought I'd best crack these bloody fault codes first. You've given me hope anyway :thumbup:

Cheers mate, all these things are on the list but it's finding the time at the moment. So you don't think there's a risk of any serious damage? I know others have had these codes for ages with the same lack of boost effects. Glad to hear about your remap. I'm going for one early next year and i can't wait :D but thought I'd best crack these bloody fault codes first. You've given me hope anyway :thumbup:

No there shouldn't be any risk of serious damage running with this fault code, as far as I know. Enough people have it, and live with it.

There is light at the end of the tunnel! Just don't give up on fixing it.

Remap is pretty crazy. I had an APR trial, and I loved it! You feel like the fastest thing on the road, and you normally are! Overtaking is a joke, it's just so easy. I'll be buying the APR stage 1 map when I have the funds....

Used to get these problems all the time with mine. The engine management light would come on for a couple of weeks then go off on it's own for a couple of weeks, before coming back on again. I eventually cured it by cleaning the throttle body (which didn't look particularly dirty !!), and the sensor next to it (carefully with kitchen roll -no chemicals !!!). I haven't had the problem now for 9 months :thumbup::thumbup:!!.