Automatic engine stalling

tezca

I own an automatic Octavia from 1999. Over the past year, the car has developed problems with the engine starting and stalling while driving. It usually happens after I've been driving for a while, stopped and then tried to start it again. The engine also cuts out at slow speeds, when I am waiting at junctions or moving slowly. It has also happened at higher speeds - when my wife was going round a roundabout at 30-40 miles an hour! I have taken the car to the Skoda service garage and it has been fully checked out, but they couldn't find anything wrong. They suggested something might be overheating but can't identify what. This is now getting really urgent to fix - the car stalled 5 times on a 3 mile journey the other day. Any ideas?:confused::confused::confused:

1595cc

To me looks like an electrical problem...when is hot it would not start again, the car is completely dead, no noise, not an attempt to start, just dead. When it cuts down while driving it looses the power and dies, very scary indeed!

Edited by tezca
ammend

OK - we're talking petrol.

To start with check that the air filter is not clogged and there are no leaks in the vacuum hoses (and none of the hoses are disconnected).

Does it idle smoothly after a cold start?

The stealer should have check these. Find yourself a good independent.

On cold temperatures is OK, but not in hot ones.

I can drive without problem for 200 miles, stop for petrol/ lunch and then the car will refuse to start. It takes 4/5 attempts with the gas pedal to the top to start and ensure it is no stopping...

When was the car last serviced? Dealer/Garage or DIY? This will give us some idea of what to check.

It could be so many things, but the forum as whole will get there eventually. We all get problems at some time so are willing to help.

The car last service was 3 weeks ago, and one of he reasons to go was the stalling. It was an Skoda dealer in Cardiff (Griffith Mills). They ran all the diagnosis and found nothing...

I went just around the corner for a minute drive. The cars started fine, no problem. I came back and it was not starting...instead of a smooth and leveled sound it is hunting.

- The engine starts fine from cold and runs ok.

- Once warmed up there is a smell of petrol from the exhaust and the engine hunts slightly. Difficult to start.

- Possible fuel/ air mix wrong?

- Auto choke stuck?

Thanks for comments

IIRC the 1.6 has a single coil. A bad coil could cause this and coil faults to tend to be temperature sensitive. If you have an engine misfire it would be less obvious at high speed.

Raise the engine revs to about 500 over idle. Had you detect a misfire?

Different car, but my missus had a ford fiesta auto and it had an anti stall valve called an idle stabilisation control valve and it displayed the same behaviour as you mention.

It showed up on a fault scan from ford, did the dealer run a diagnostics check on yours?

Different car, but my missus had a ford fiesta auto and it had an anti stall valve called an idle stabilisation control valve and it displayed the same behaviour as you mention.

It showed up on a fault scan from ford, did the dealer run a diagnostics check on yours?

The diagnosis showed no result!!!

My local garage found the problem.

They replace the Air mass meter and a air mass pipe.

I walked to them with a print of all the opinions from this forum and they were impress. Then I showed them the problem and with all the information they found the solution quickly.

Thanks to all of you, your help was essential. Now my Octavia is smooth as silk!

Thank you again!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

JL