Puff of smoke when i start the car???

When i start my car it always lets out a puff of smoke and has done this since iv had the car! I dunno if my mates winding me up but he says the turbo needs replacing because if its smokes when starting it means the sills have gone???? is it true as mine has be doin it for a year

I thought they all did it! Nice motor btw..... might be a little quicker than mine lol

i dont use her much(weekends maybe) i plod about in my fabia vrs its cheaper

Mine does it everytime you start it, I think it's either a slight overfuel for a second to aid the starting or it could just be fuel that's not ignited properly from the first injections?

Cousins Audi does it too (same engine I believe)

she likes a drink,but puts a grin on my face when i use her,only thing is its a magnet for every boy racer in town in their clio's,corsa's etc,i like the vrs because its so under estimated and can show a clean pair of heels to more exotic brands and its dirt cheap to tax and insure the scooby is 400 to tax at the mo rising to 450 ish in a year or so:eek:

It's a diesel!

The slight puff of smoke if white is water, if black is the unburnt derv where for the first crank or two there wasn't quite enough heat to fully burn the all the fuel and ignition was being quenched by excessive fuel for the air and temperature.

It's perfectly normal to see this and it is why you have glowplugs to enable there to be enough heat to get anywhere at all. If you're worried, try cycling the glow plugs a few times before you turn it over.

It's a diesel!

The slight puff of smoke if white is water, if black is the unburnt derv where for the first crank or two there wasn't quite enough heat to fully burn the all the fuel and ignition was being quenched by excessive fuel for the air and temperature.

It's perfectly normal to see this and it is why you have glowplugs to enable there to be enough heat to get anywhere at all. If you're worried, try cycling the glow plugs a few times before you turn it over.

Tried it this morning by leaving the glow plugs to warm up and it didnt do it. Must be the cold weather and my mate making me paranoid. Cheers mate

I normally wait until one of the scrotes from the estate down the road comes hoppy-walking past with his imaginary carpet rolls under his shell suit covered arms, looking in peoples windows for things to burgle, then start it. I live in hope that the particulates will shorten their thieving, vandalising lives.

I normally wait until one of the scrotes from the estate down the road comes hoppy-walking past with his imaginary carpet rolls under his shell suit covered arms, looking in peoples windows for things to burgle, then start it. I live in hope that the particulates will shorten their thieving, vandalising lives.

lol where you from?

Tried it this morning by leaving the glow plugs to warm up and it didnt do it. Must be the cold weather and my mate making me paranoid. Cheers mate

How old is the car/how many miles you done.

I notice the glow plugs start to get a little less effective at 80k on an old car, so if you wanted to play it safe you could change the plugs for new ones.

I guess it depends on how cold the winter is going to be.