Octy 2.0 TDi: do they all whistle?

I had a test drive in a s/h Octavia 2.0TDi today, (2005 with 44K miles.) I was totally impressed apart from the fact that there was a really loud whistle from the turbo as I went up and down the gears. It disappeared at about 2500 rpm.

I drova an Audi A4 with the same engine and it had no whistle. Is the whistle normal or was this a one off? I fear it would drive me mad.

Thanks

That's probably not normal.

Mine always had an audible whistle as the turbo spooled up but you could only notice it in first and second as it wasn't all that loud.

Just before the turbo failed it started to get a lot louder

Marvelous!

Can hear mine quiet audioably with the windows down.....done 5k like that with it now and not missed a beat and still pulls strong!

You've done 5k with the windows down?? :rofl:

My turbo sound is a cross between and Owl and a police siren under light throttle up to about 2000 rpm. I started to notice it >50k. Coming up to 59k now so I would guess it's days are numbered, same as the demo car by the sound of it.

My octy 2.0TDi has whistled quietly at low rpm for more than 40K miles, and from reading other posts on here as long as it stays quiet you should be ok.

Same for mine - only really hear it when parking up , driving around works car park. My old Veedub Bora whistled a fair bit - sounded great !

Window down, radio off ... tunnel ... police siren effect ... lovely

I think all VAG TDIs whistle, just a question of how much sound proofing is in the way.

Although you might want to have a read of this thread too ...

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/pd140-turbo-bearings-have-failed-after-54k-miles/114106/

You've done 5k with the windows down?? :rofl:

My turbo sound is a cross between and Owl and a police siren under light throttle up to about 2000 rpm. I started to notice it >50k. Coming up to 59k now so I would guess it's days are numbered, same as the demo car by the sound of it.

Doh!

Im not sure if my turbo has been replaced, theres no record in the service book. Although there is a stamp for a new clutch and flywheel at 108k.

Now on 122k and it pulls pretty well for 105bhp, suprises a few Saxo VTS's.

My mum thought there was an ambulance coming when i dropped the parents off the other week :S

Guest Fabia 12v

My old Golf 1.9TDI used to have the 'police siren' effect used to keep taking me unawears as i was driving i'd hear it then be checking all the mirrors thinking one was wanting to get past! :o

Driving hundreds of diesel VWs at work (work for VW) all day long I can safely say whistle is perfectly normal :thumbup: