TT short shifter Mod + Fitting

Oet

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a 25% reduction over the standard part, guess if you want more you have to go to something like the forge item, they are really good, this is just a lot cheaper!

Just ordered one of these from VW Speed for my Golf, along with the module to make my indicators flash 3 times with one flick of the stalk. I think they tried to deliver it today, in which case thumbs up for VW Speed as I only ordered on Sunday evening!

Oh.... Can you tell me more about the flasher, i think that would be really handy. Then i can order that along with the short throw kit and save on the carriage :D

Cheers Dan.

Simon, my brother didnt come round when he was supposed to, i will call my friend tonight and get him to take a pic instead as my brother is away now, then he can mail it to me so i can post it for you, it looks the same tho pretty much.

If you are near kent, pop over i will help you do it if you like?

Simon, my brother didnt come round when he was supposed to, i will call my friend tonight and get him to take a pic instead as my brother is away now, then he can mail it to me so i can post it for you, it looks the same tho pretty much.

Just need to see the amount of adjustment on the cables really. I'll probably wait till my holiday at the beginning of November to have another go at it, so no rush like that.

Thanks for your offer of help but I'm in Cornwall, if I was nearer to you I would take you up on the offer. :thumbup:

Oh.... Can you tell me more about the flasher, i think that would be really handy. Then i can order that along with the short throw kit and save on the carriage :D

Cheers Dan.

Well, I don't have a vRS anymore, I have MK4 Golf, but it might work. It's a relay that you wire into the hazard light switch, so when you flick the indicator all the way but without latching it will flash three times. It's a genuine VW part and at the end of the day, the indicators can't be wired that differently between the two cars. It's only about £15, so maybe worth a try anyway? It's supposed to be quite easy to do but you have to remove the barbed connectors from the hazard light switch which can be fiddly.

Have a look around UKMKIVs for more info and pics! :thumbup:

Well, I don't have a vRS anymore, I have MK4 Golf, but it might work. It's a relay that you wire into the hazard light switch, so when you flick the indicator all the way but without latching it will flash three times. It's a genuine VW part and at the end of the day, the indicators can't be wired that differently between the two cars. It's only about £15, so maybe worth a try anyway? It's supposed to be quite easy to do but you have to remove the barbed connectors from the hazard light switch which can be fiddly.

Have a look around UKMKIVs for more info and pics! :thumbup:

Cheers for that Dan. Shall look into it :D

Where abouts in Kent are you, im in Ashford and would not mind a hand fitting it if your local :D

near bluewater, give me a pm if you want some help......in exchange for a ride in your motor of course once fitted:cool:

near bluewater, give me a pm if you want some help......in exchange for a ride in your motor of course once fitted:cool:

Ah not far then, only 45 minutes or so.

Okay, will get one ordered and drop you a line :)

Well we will need to test the car throughly to ensure it all works well wont we ;)

Fitted mine at the weekend. Did it in under 10 minutes but to be honest it does not seam any shorter throw than the standard item.

:iagree: If it is shorter it certainly isn't 25% I even cross checked the part numbers to make sure it wasn't the same part because side by side they look identical. Maybe the VRS and TT have the same throw.

Dont bother buying one for a Mk1 Octy vRS, just check the part number stamped on the OEM one you already have fitted to the car and you will see it is exactly the same part number as stamped on the short shifter you get delivered fron VWSpeed.

Took the old one off and compared it side by side, and exactly the same.

I made the mistake, bought one, and now dont need it, for, as already stated they are exactly the same.

So if anyone with a Golf, or a 4x4 wants one, then please get in touch via PM and you can have it at a discount.

Would you say it was worth the £20 then or just get a proper aftermarket item?

Who does them for the VRS tho?

Hmmm perhaps I wasn't to clear :rofl:

However as stated the difference (If any) isn't worth the £20 :(

Neuspeed do one for the VRS which claims is 40% reduction but at £110 is rather expensive. Forge don't seem to do them for 5 speed boxes :mad:

lol, yeah i spotted that after typing. Did not realise the thread had gone over to 3 pages, lol.

£110.00 is not so sad. I wonder if its a kit that shortens the throw left to right, and forwards to backwards? Shall have to do some looking into it :) Its one of the things i think could be improved upon, i find the gearbox in my car a little bit sloppy and long so could do with being tighter and shorter :)

Yeah, could be. Will that still use my standard gear knob and gaiter?

Found this on the Neuspeed one: Neuspeed Europe> Main Section > Skoda Octavia > VRS Mk1 1.8T > Transmission > Short Shift Kit - 5 & 6 speed w/ pin stud cable mount but it says its the same for the 5 and 6 speed boxes, so wonder if the Forge one will fit also, or wether Neuspeed have got it wrong :S

Well my one definatley has a different part number, last 3 digits are different and it has an A at the end of the original part whereas the new one doesn't. However as stated the difference (If any) isn't worth the £20 :(

Mine is a 2001 Octy vRS and both sets of part numbers on each shifter are exactly the same, as is the shifter itself, no difference at all with the location of the arm or cable?