Lost between 5-10mpg - TDI 90 (ALH)

Hi Dan,

I'm sure I can help. Drop me a PM message and I'll give you my email address.

Cheers, Greg.

My 2005 fabia tdi has exactly the same problem. I am a driving instructor, and this car is part of me. It starts and runs fine, with no loss of power. I am down 5 mpg around town and 10 mpg on a run. I used to squeeze 70mpg on a run if i kept to 60 mph, but I can't get 60 mpg now. Like you, my cambelt was changed 2000 miles ago at 70,000 miles. I note that kblackburn is reporting similar loss of mpg after a cambelt change. MAF sensor, VAG-COM and EGR mean nothing to me. I have changed the air filter, but no effect. Would be extremely interested if you manage to fix your car!

Mass Airflow Sensor - tells the engine how much air is being drawn by the turbo.

VAG-Com - computer software, used to interogate (and sometimes reset) the various systems on a modern VAG car.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Did you get the car this March or later? If so, it's probably just the usual "Winter diesel" issue.

Edited by KenONeill

bought an own brand air filter from my local Halfords (cost £13.99 though!!)

Part Co just charged me about £18 for a new air filter and it does not even fit!!!

This is really strange as over the past week it seems to have regained most of its power and fuel economy!! I am now getting high 50's to low 60's now. Seems to run smoother too.

Don't know how long it will last but it has not run like this for at least six to eight weeks.

Greg123 is going to have a look at it for me when he has managed to get a new VAG-COM lead.

Dan