Directional & Normal Tyres

Which is all very well and good as far as it goes.

The tread pattern may or may not make a difference to how the car handles (it might when there is standing water from 2 to 12mm deep), but different rubber compounds almost certainly will.

Following on from my tyres thread, does having differing tread patterns on the car make any difference to the handling?

Considering F1 which are directional and the other 2 tyres on the car are standard non directioanl.

Will this make any difference??

Personally and from experience on my MX5 which granted is a slightly different kettle of fish I would say YES it has the potential to make a significant difference to how the car handles depending upon the conditions at the time.

The F1's are a good tyre and, being directional are more than likely to have a higher grip threshold than the other non-directional ones you have, particularly in the wet. If you have the F1's on the front then in the wet the car may have a tendency to oversteer, whilst if they are on the back it is more likely to understeer. Granted a whole lot of other factors wll come into play but the above will be the general tendency.

I still cant get my head around assymetric tyres like my Eagle Assys. :really:

Looks like one side will force the water away from the car, while the other side will force it under the car.

I was expecting the tread patterns (looking from the front of the car) to look like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=152846&stc=1&d=1215451444attachment.php?attachmentid=152845&stc=1&d=1215451444

so that the channels on the outside portion of the tyre would be facing down in order to best expel water.

But they designed for the tyre to be driven like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=152847&stc=1&d=1215451444attachment.php?attachmentid=152845&stc=1&d=1215451444

But then the passenger side tyre seems like it would be disadvantaged in rain and hydroplane more easily.

Or perhaps the inside channels do more work? Seems like a very odd design. I thought directional tyres were better in rain because the engineers were able to design the channels to better expel water. Seems like a step backwards to make a non-directional tyre but my gosh they do seem to work, just cant work out how, lol.

Garry

Garry, you do know that those are asymmetrics (labeled "this side out"), not directionals (labelled "direction of rotation ->")?

Directionals are the ones that basically look like a series of Vs, with the point making contact first, and forcing water down the channel to the edges of the tyres.