4x4 Turbo Blown!!!!!

OK after nearly everything that could go wrong with my car and we are talking the following (not total and complete btw, just what I can remember):-

Gearbox oil change to cure vibration - it didn't

Fan control ECU (kept flattening the battery overnight!)

Airbag ECU

Water leaks into the car

Several Drive shafts re vibration

1st DMF and Clutch (actual cause of vibration)

2nd DMF (1st replacement one faulty)

ECU Cut out (really fun when your traveling in the outside lane on the motorway and you lose absolutely everything with no hope of getting power pack until you had opened the bonnet and bashed things about till something clicked!)

Ditto above (fuse box circuit replaced)

Ditto above (different circuit replaced)

ditto above after doing it 7 times whilst trying to get to see the foo fighters (bare in mind the dealer insisted there was no fault - until they finally found the broken wire)!

Gearbox rebuild with modified parts

Gearbox rebuild again to sort out problems with 1st rebuild

Clutch slave cylinder replacement along with 3rd DMF and 2nd clutch

Clutch master cylinder replacement

3rd Gearbox rebuild

(during this time the polo loan car given also broke down on me (engine earth error)

New gearbox finally fitted as repairing simply wasn't working

And Finally at 60132 miles the bloody turbo has blown, possibly taking the engine with it by the sounds as it sucked all the oil out of it whilst going - yep just 132 miles out of warranty! - Believe me, I won't be paying a penny!

Car is less than 3 years old btw and has always been serviced when it's told me it needed to be, OK I don't wash it because Storm Blue paint is that bad at picking up scratches it's too depressing to do so, besides, it's in the garage that often that I have no need to as they clean it for it's return to me!

A Skoda reliable? Don't make me laugh! I have had more trouble with this car than all the others I have ever owned and I have been driving over 21 years now! At my local Enterprise Car Hire I am genuinely on 1st name terms with the manager!

B****y Hell!

Or should that read "car from hell".

If I were you I would contact someone at the factory as well as the poor soul who gets it in the neck from you at SUK. This reads more like the "teething" troubles of Skodas 20 years ago.

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction at long last.

lemon3.jpg

:( Poor taste I know but I think it sums things up pretty well.

That's a shocking reliability record mate, sorry to hear about it. What did your turbo do before it went pop? funny whining/whistling? my TDI has done over 61,000 and it's getting noisy :eek:

My old Primera was ALMOST as unreliable as your car which is saying something.

I presume you are/will be onto SUK tomorrow then?

You'd better watch, the fanboys on here will leap to the defence of the brand!

Think you must have a bit of a lemon, but there are too many common faults with these models. Thankfully I'll only have a few months to pay it off after the warranty runs out, then I'll flog it.

Funnily enough, did say to the guy that works for me the turbo is whistling quite loudly today about an hour before it went as we were traveling! The thing just went pop and the car lost power, thought it had just blown a pipe off seeing as it had been in bits so many times but realised when looking under the bonnet and seeing the air inflow pipe being sucked in that this wasn't the case.

This happened on monday, have been too angry to speak to them yet as I think my language would end up with them cutting me off.

Personally I would be photocopying any evidence. Then send to Skoda HQ in Czech Republic, copy to HonestJohn (Daily Telegraph), plus What Car, AutoExpress etc. Looks like a combination of poor product and inept or poorly trained technicians.

I have a print out from the dealer (who I have to say have been top notch, the gearbox issues were all Skoda UK penny pinching) with all of the work undertaken up until the 3rd gearbox rebuild , I intend to get a complete one very shortly! I don't even own the car, it is contract hired through VWFS so I really am at the point of telling them to collect it and send my original deposit back due to the car not being of satisfactory quality not to mention costing me money whilst off the road (over £150 on Monday alone due to not being back on the road till after 5pm)!

Unbelievable that any car can have so many faults in 3 years. Are you thinking of a change in the near future???:rolleyes:

Surely Skoda can do something to ease the pain??

It's at the 'Goodwill' department at the moment but do you honestly think I would get another Skoda? Fancied replacing it with a Passat but as it's more of the same but with a different badge I don't think I could bring myself to getting one of them either!

It's at the 'Goodwill' department at the moment but do you honestly think I would get another Skoda? Fancied replacing it with a Passat but as it's more of the same but with a different badge I don't think I could bring myself to getting one of them either!

An alfa would be a more reliable choice :)

Don't bother contacting Skoda's Customer Care! All I wanted to know was how does their factory-fitted towbar locatesafely into the housing of the 3-year-old Octavia I have just bought, to make sure I had done it safely.

"Take it to your local dealer".

I've now taken it to 3, and none of them can help.

So.... why don't I ring Customer Services again and explain their dealers don't know the answer to my question? I ring and am told only dealers can contact the Technical team.

But I only want to know if I've fitted your factory towbar correctly to the housing!

"Sorry Sir, we can't help. You have to go through your dealer."

I get back to the dealer and am told it will cost £30:50 + VAT to book the car in. They will then contact the Technical department at Skoda.

I explain there's nothing wrong with the car; I simply want someone to tell me how the swan-neck locates into the housing so I know I've done it safely!

Stalemate!

Oh, and the turbo seems ready to blow!

Update, Skoda are willing to pay for parts and the hire car till Monday, I have to foot the labour bill which even at the discounted rate I've been given is still £710+VAT!!!! (14 hours to replace a turbo + various aux's on a 4x4 - I had heard it was a bitch to do before all this!). Told em in no uncertain terms that I wasn't prepared to accept the offer and should they not be covering it all they will be hearing from my solicitor (sale of goods act etc). I was told that it has been escalated to the upper departments and someone will be in touch - so far they haven't!

Update, Skoda are willing to pay for parts and the hire car till Monday, I have to foot the labour bill which even at the discounted rate I've been given is still £710+VAT!!!! (14 hours to replace a turbo + various aux's on a 4x4 - I had heard it was a bitch to do before all this!). Told em in no uncertain terms that I wasn't prepared to accept the offer and should they not be covering it all they will be hearing from my solicitor (sale of goods act etc). I was told that it has been escalated to the upper departments and someone will be in touch - so far they haven't!

They need to think again about that offer, yes the car is JUST out of warranty but they need to consider the inconvenience the car has caused you in the past. I hope they come back with a better offer than the one on the table.

Fingers crossed :thumbup:

yes totally agree that is bl**dy outrageous on a car so low in mileage and 3 years old.Iam very shocked to read all your first post and i would be totally gutted at such a **** car(sorry to say) as regarding its faults.I hope you come out on top with a 1st class result :thumbup:

Good Luck

Yup, I had a DMF replaced on a Nissan many moons ago and shortly after that I lost another clutch, bits of the gearbox, BOTH front wheel bearings and BOTH CV joints along with a drive shaft.

Shoddy workmanship is inevitably going to lead to rapid failure of connected components.

Update Skoda Uk are refusing to pay for the labour so I have emailed VWFS and told them I aint paying them a penny more and come and collect the car and stopped the DD at the bank, looks like we have a Mexican stand off boy's and Girls!