Timing Belt

It's 80k or 4 yrs, the cost is roughly £450 inc water pump from a Skoda dealer, or £300-350 from an independant, whole front end of the car has to come off to do the job, I've heard of a service tool that is supposed to allow the front to move forwards without having to remove the front but I've yet to see one, hth.

Assuming it's a 1.9 TDi.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on the 1.9 belt.

most of them are 60K or 4 yrs, but from a 55 reg (IIRC) its 80K or 4 yrs.

I heard that, but not according to my local dealer, and the supplying ones letter said the same, 80k or 4 yrs, best ring up tbh to be safe.

I can't see where any confusion arises. In the owners manual for my 55 Superb 1.9tdi it clearly states 4 years or 120,000km (74,564 miles).

So you're right OP, yours is due/overdue on the age front.

I can't see where any confusion arises. In the owners manual for my 55 Superb 1.9tdi it clearly states 4 years or 120,000km (74,564 miles).

Quite simple really, in the 2004 manual it states 60K miles for a PD engine and 80K for non PD and 80K miles for the 2.5 6 cylinder.

So someone with a 2004 their book says 60k / 4 yrs

But someone with a 2005 (55) their book will say 80K / 4 years.

Of course then you also have VAG changing their mind on the intervals as well :rolleyes:

I emailed SUK last night asking them about intervals. Very impressed because they telephoned me this morning to say that they recommend 80000 or 4 yrs whichever the sooner. So there it is from the Horses mouth as it were.

John

As it states in the 2004 manual - for your 2.5 V6

and

the 1.9 PD is 60K / 4 yrs

according to the back of the Skoda servicing checklist I got with one of my service invoices (print date 05/05), up to July 2003 it's 60k miles and from August 2003 it's 80k miles.

This is official, Giz says 60k, mines on 77k right now and if I make my mind up if I'm gonna keep it I'll be doing it soon.

I thought you'd already burned your bridges with VAG? Do I smell a change of heart? ;)

I loves the car, it's the backup that ruins it and stops it being the only real choice, and the amount of people who comment how nice it is would suprise you, the best bit is when the what is it question is posed, after I say it's a Skoda I get either the look of pleasent suprise or the ignorant oh no not a Skoda routine, if Skoda polish up the last 10% of their operation I can see them outselling everyone in 10 years time.

I loves the car, it's the backup that ruins it and stops it being the only real choice, and the amount of people who comment how nice it is would suprise you, the best bit is when the what is it question is posed, after I say it's a Skoda I get either the look of pleasent suprise or the ignorant oh no not a Skoda routine, if Skoda polish up the last 10% of their operation I can see them outselling everyone in 10 years time.

A fair point. I wonder perhaps if you'll be tempted by the new Superb?

Still, to add my point of view to the whole cambelt debate - why skimp on such a vital component? If there's debate between 60k and 80k why not just change it at 60?

A fair point. I wonder perhaps if you'll be tempted by the new Superb?

Still, to add my point of view to the whole cambelt debate - why skimp on such a vital component? If there's debate between 60k and 80k why not just change it at 60?

Very tempted on what if offers, but alas the VAG price fixing thing will probably mean I don't ever get one, by that I mean the buy all back to stop the independant dealers offering them at better prices SH.

Sorry, dont see where the confusion comes from, the manual quite clearly states that its 4 years or 80K, before I bought my 54 1.9TDi 130 which had 64K on it I rang my local dealer and they told me it is 80K, I had it done 1 monthago when it had done 75K and the dealer told me that I was a bit prtemature and I could still go to 80K, but I chose to do it early as I tow a caravan, I got quoted £430 to do the job but because I had the radiator replaced on a warrantee I had they only charged me £300 due to it being almost the same job as getting to the cambelt.

But just to add to the confusion a friend of mine has a 04 1.9TDi 130 Passat and VW quoted him 60K but when we looked at a Passat Haynes manual that we had bought to cover both our cars that quoted 80K which left him feeeling like he had been fleeced!

But just to add to the confusion a friend of mine has a 04 1.9TDi 130 Passat and VW quoted him 60K but when we looked at a Passat Haynes manual that we had bought to cover both our cars that quoted 80K which left him feeeling like he had been fleeced!

On the 3B passat 04 chassis and before are 60k, 05 and later are 80k.

Sorry, dont see where the confusion comes from, the manual quite clearly states that its 4 years or 80K, before I bought my 54 1.9TDi 130 which had 64K on it I rang my local dealer and they told me it is 80K,

If you read my comment earlier then it is pretty clear:

Quite simple really, in the 2004 manual it states 60K miles for a PD engine and 80K for non PD and 80K miles for the 2.5 6 cylinder.

So someone with a 2004 their book says 60k / 4 yrs

But someone with a 2005 (55) their book will say 80K / 4 years.

What confusion? you said "dont see where the confusion comes from" make your mind up :rolleyes:

Basically RTFM, some are 60K (up to 2004) and some are 80K (05/54 reg?)

Mine was done by the dealer and paid for by the leasing company @ 60K, do you think they would pay for a belt change if it was not due?

FWIW they sold the car 3K later when it reached 3 years old, so was out of warranty.