Halford's QR high intensity brake light bulbs

anewman

I think the Halfords QR bulb is the...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. I think the Halfords QR bulb is the...

• Left one
    • Right one

Thought I would try out some Halford's QR high intensity bulbs. Priced at £3.99 a pair.

Here's the package - I thought the claims on the back seemed a bit poor, especially given the "up to" in the claim and the need to make the speed 62mph and the conditions poor.

halfordsqrpackfront.jpg

halfordsqrpackrear.jpg

One of the bulbs has been changed for a Halford's QR bulb - but which one? I won't give the game away until a few guesses have been made. Needless to say, I think there is no noticeable difference. I took the pics with the engine running to make sure they were as they would be while the car was running.

halfordsqr1.jpg

Left

halfordsqrleft.jpg

Right

halfordsqrright.jpg

It is in fact the right one. Here's a night shot, the effect is more noticeable in the dark it seems.

halfordsqrnight.jpg

Not sure it's worth the extra cost myself.

Edited by anewman

isnt it just that they light up quicker rather than been brighter?

Don't know. The "Hi-intensity" suggests to me brighter. Although no claims are made as to brightness or light-up time.

These philips bulbs seem to make similar claims Philips Vision Plus P21W from Power Bulbs

Philips Vision Plus signalling bulbs provide 50% more reaction time to the driver behind to brake, as a result of a brighter & faster lit-up braking light. Ultimately, the driver behind has approximately 3 meters more braking distance at 100 km/h.

So it is possible they just light up quicker. Guess that's what the diagram would suggest anyway.

It's possible the differing brightness of the bulbs is an artefact of my mobile phone camera in someway.

I've upgraded my head light bulbs with Halfrauds top speck one for my Octi. BOGOF, £19.00 :D

Much better light, full beam is fantastic :thumbup:

How can a bulb speed up the drivers reaction time!!!

Yes maybe speed up the time between you pressing you pedal and them seeing the light but they can't speed up someones reaction time... a person can only react at a certain speed to something... this can't be sped up some how... like I say only the time in which the bulb lights up from you pressing the brake pedal decreases but the reaction time of the person stays the same! lol

QR stands for Quick Response - it is not brighter, it just lights up a little quicker, i.e. up to full brightness or thereabouts.

As the bulb lights up fractionally faster than standard, it means the person behind will see it that much faster, the response time of the person does not change as such, but as the person sees it sooner due to the higher brightness earlier on, it may save a very slight amount of time, thus allowing a more overall rapid response.