My attempt at football photography...

Allams Skoda

Hi,

So Saturday afternoon I went to see a local football team who we sponsor play a game, and I thought it would be a good oppertunity to practice with the camera.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback please as I have never done this kind of thing before and need some tips!

I know it sounds stupid, but what makes a good football shot?

4against1.jpg

kicknumber10.jpg

number6tackle.jpg

number9.jpg

number9closeup.jpg

tackle.jpg

teamtackle.jpg

throwin.jpg

Thanks!

I know it sounds stupid, but what makes a good football shot?

Usually Hitting the back of the opponents net.

:sofahide: :D

Cant see the pic's here at work :( look forward to having a look when I get home :thumbup:

Football photography is not difficult, you just need to anticpate. Crop your images tighter to get rid of superfluos crap.

You really need fast glass and a camera that can shoot a in bursts of five frames per second minimum.

Learn to use your camera in manual node.

I shoot at between 200 and 3200 ISO at 1/500th sec with aperture 2.8.

Here are a few examples from te past week

E3AD925F232041F6921CA077A0307DD8-500.jpg

5774FC0CC1F8459D9960E2144BD94B12-500.jpg

8686BE54E1504261A756DE36F93BC4B9-500.jpg

B584328B79094C069012614147BD0448-500.jpg

76EE9073AA2D4A09A3B577EAF3ED887D-500.jpg

Those are some nice shots indeed.

Unfortunatly I'm only working with a Nikon D40 which only shoots a 2.5 shots per second and the lens I've got is only the 55-200mm which isn't very fast at 200mm think it's 5.6.

I got the camera and my 2 lens just over a year ago now and it was my starter SLR camera. I will hopefully get a D300 and a 70-200mm f2.8 next year which should give me a lot more control, but at the moment I don't have the spare money required.

What camera did you take your photos with?

What camera did you take your photos with?

My kit is a Nikon D3 used with a 300mm f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 14-24mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8.

Then there's a 1.7x teleconvertor along with a 50mm f1.8.

Meanwhile a D200 and D50 compete as secondary bodies.

My kit is a Nikon D3 used with a 300mm f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 14-24mm f2.8 and 24-70mm f2.8.

Then there's a 1.7x teleconvertor along with a 50mm f1.8.

Meanwhile a D200 and D50 compete as secondary bodies.

Wait, you have 2 and a half grand to spend on one camera body?? Wish I could have one of those!! Awesome pics :)

Bloody hell...

That's some bloody nice hardware!

Shame you aren't more local to myself, I'd love to have a play with those lenses.

Do you think the D300 is worth the extra over the D200?

LOL

Nobody gets to play with my tools - can you imagine if I asked a mechanic could I use his wrench? LOL

Seriously, the D300 is in a different league to the D200 and is well worth the extra. If you can push the boat go for the D700.

More importantly is the speed of the glass and I'd invest in the lens more so than the body at this stage of your experience.

JB

Wait, you have 2 and a half grand to spend on one camera body?? Wish I could have one of those!! Awesome pics :)

Cost me about €4.2k a year ago.

New one arriving within a week and taking advantage of the euro strength it's cost me just under €3k.:)

Lots more image shere on my Flickr

Hmm this has got me thinking.

I have some tickets to go and see Reading FC play this Saturday at the Madejski.

I'm toying with the idea of taking my camera along to try and get some nice shots.

But I don't know if it would be an issue being a "proper professional" football match regarding rights, copyright, etc. I'm not thinking of selling them - could I ?

I've read the groundrules and there's nothing against taking photos.

Thought I'd have a go yesterday seeing as the new artificial pitch was being opened at work.

I agree that fast glass is a must. The only telephoto I had was f4 and that was sloooow for the light. I also agree that you need anticipation. Plus a working knowledge of Football (which I hate) would probably help with the anticipation. In the end I had to use my fastest lens (only 2.8) with limited me to 50mm. Luckily it was a 'charity' match on the pitch so a small area and only 5 a side.

Questions now :D

I was using AI-Servo focussing and centre spot. I found that this meant that I needed to do some heavy cropping of the final images as everything was dead-centre of the shot. Is this just how it goes? or are there tricks/tips to help composition whilst shooting?

Thought I'd have a go yesterday seeing as the new artificial pitch was being opened at work.

I agree that fast glass is a must. The only telephoto I had was f4 and that was sloooow for the light. I also agree that you need anticipation. Plus a working knowledge of Football (which I hate) would probably help with the anticipation. In the end I had to use my fastest lens (only 2.8) with limited me to 50mm. Luckily it was a 'charity' match on the pitch so a small area and only 5 a side.

Questions now :D

I was using AI-Servo focussing and centre spot. I found that this meant that I needed to do some heavy cropping of the final images as everything was dead-centre of the shot. Is this just how it goes? or are there tricks/tips to help composition whilst shooting?

That's how it goes. However the reach with a 50mm would also mean heavy cropping unless the players were in your face.

That's how it goes. However the reach with a 50mm would also mean heavy cropping unless the players were in your face.

Yeah, as I said, I started with a 70-300. But it's a nasty lens and only f4 at the close end. I got much better images with the 50mm, but apart from when the players were up close (was on the sideline, and literally a step or two on the pitch occasionally - was far from a 'pro' match) it was less than ideal.

Am currently saving for a 70-200L (between rent payments) so may go back out when I can afford the glass. New found respect for sports photographers though, I knew it was hard but not that bad! Will definitely have a go with a sport I'm more interested in though, as it was still quite fun :D

Well, if anyone near Reading / Basingstoke / Oxford area can invite me to take footy pics, I'd love to. I'd be using a 120-300 f/2.8 which is nice and fast :)

Ooooh is that the bloody great big Sigma one?:) I liked the look of that, but think I would

a) need to sell a kideley

B) take up weight lifting as a hobby

What is a kidney worth nowadays?

I can't believe how heavy some lenses are, I had a play with some of Scuffs equipment a few weeks ago and one of his Canon lens (can't remember which one) felt like it weighed about 2kg. Madness...

Not enough

I can't believe how heavy some lenses are, I had a play with some of Scuffs equipment a few weeks ago and one of his Canon lens (can't remember which one) felt like it weighed about 2kg. Madness...

As to playing with Scuffs equipment!!! Well, be gentle with it as the 500mm is promised to me

The nikon 300mm 2.8 weights in at almost 3kg and the D3 is about 1.5kgs, so 4.5kgs.