Pollen filter housing repair

As you say Steve - a familiar read as it was in your post above. I unfortunately had deleted the pm you sent me so the only info I had written down was your advice. Thanks for your info and help. I feel more confident now about water ingress - but I am still going to have the garage check this out annually and lift the carpet whilst I am there to be on the safe side.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I've been reading the thread with interest and made enquiry at both my local dealers and an independent VW. Local Skoda said they could do the work by replacing existing gaslet with one which can be then sealed using a sealent. Total cost 198 pounds.

Sorry, what? Nearly £200? :eek:

All of a sudden I fancy offering this as a service ;)

£200 is worth the peace of mind I should say. BUT if you live near to anyone wishing this work done - then it would be beneficial to both of you I would think?

I quite agree for piece of mind, yes... but £200, or a tub of DumDum and a couple of skinned knuckles...?

I wouldn't feel confident furking around in the engine compartment in case I did some damage. Electronics is my game NOT mechanics - so I have to pay. Pity I don't live closer to you or even you to me. If you move to kent please let me know:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just like to point out that Skoda dealers do not get any service bulletins on VW headed paper. It is down to SUK to put out technical bulletins via the Skoda Desktop system. Skoda did issue a bulletin dated 6 sept 06 on this very matter. So depending on the age of your car, it could be a warranty matter. Hope this helps.

Keith :thumbup:

Just like to point out that Skoda dealers do not get any service bulletins on VW headed paper. It is down to SUK to put out technical bulletins via the Skoda Desktop system. Skoda did issue a bulletin dated 6 sept 06 on this very matter. So depending on the age of your car, it could be a warranty matter. Hope this helps.

Hmm. I don't think SUK customer services are aware of this...

I know they aren't as when I spoke to them they just said take the bulletin to your Skoda Dealer and ask them to do it for you as we have no knowledge of this bulletin??

Yeah, I thought that was the case. "Take [the paperwork in question] in to [one of our branches] with you" is customer services speak for "prove it, liar liar pants on fire".

Moogmaniac, where'd you get that date from?

OK 2 dates on the bulletin

Ref: CS/SW/27/06

26 September 2006

Go into your Skoda dealer, ask them to do a search on Skoda Desktop for "superb pollen" and it will come up with the info.

Let's see them try and deny it now, eh? Hope it's helpful to those who still have Superb I's under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I've been reading the thread with interest and made enquiry at both my local dealers and an independent VW. Local Skoda said they could do the work by replacing existing gaslet with one which can be then sealed using a sealent. Total cost 198 pounds. Local VW said they do these all the time and put a new seal which cost 30-40 pounds. As a preventative measure I'm going to get mine done next week.

Did you manage to get VW dealer to do this for you in the end?

Hi too busy of late and when I phoned yesterday they said bring it in next week. The gave me a more accuate cost on the phone £49+ vat (hourly rate) and cost of material, which he said would be no more than £12. I'm expecting to pay around £65, but if it prevents major problems in future it will be worth it. The garage in question is liongarage.co.uk. I'll update as soon as I get it done.

Hi too busy of late and when I phoned yesterday they said bring it in next week. The gave me a more accuate cost on the phone £49+ vat (hourly rate) and cost of material, which he said would be no more than £12. I'm expecting to pay around £65, but if it prevents major problems in future it will be worth it. The garage in question is liongarage.co.uk. I'll update as soon as I get it done.

Thats an excellent price mate. Mine cost £158 with a few more things but certainly more expensive than you have been quoted.

Thanks for update.

Hi to report back had the work done this moring. It took about an hour and they renewed the filter housing seal and resealed with silcon and put a new gasket in. It came to £62.81 inc vat. Hope that prevents any future leak from this area.

Hi to report back had the work done this moring. It took about an hour and they renewed the filter housing seal and resealed with silcon and put a new gasket in. It came to £62.81 inc vat. Hope that prevents any future leak from this area.

Well it was cheaper than me at Skoda Dealer - but they did do a little more work. I can only assume the garage did the work as they weren't MAIN DEALER VW. I never thought about using an independant who know the car. Still I'm glad your sorted and like you I hope this stops any probs in the future. Will have it checked annualy though.

I'm just about to get an '02 Superb 2.8 Elegance 30v, and thanks to all the various people posting about the pollen filter leak problem, I am fully aware of what to look for. However, being totally clueless when faced by even the slightest mechanical problem, I need to find someone/a dealer to actually carry out this "repair". Does anyone have any recommendations for dealers/individuals in the South West Wales area (pref. Swansea/Neath)? Thanks for reading.

Sorry for the bump, but I am now starting to get a bit paranoid about the pollen filter leak issue.

I've mentioned it to the dealer I am picking up the car from, but I don't feel confident that they know how serious a problem it can be (according to all the various posts I've read on these forums).

So I am still looking for recommendations for dealers/independents or even other forum members in the South Wales area who know about this problem and can sort it.

Edited by joekool

Sorry for the bump, but I am now starting to get a bit paranoid about the pollen filter leak issue.

I've mentioned it to the dealer I am picking up the car from, but I don't feel confident that they know how serious a problem it can be (according to all the various posts I've read on these forums).

So I am still looking for recommendations for dealers/independents or even other forum members in the South Wales area who know about this problem and can sort it.

It's a simple fix in all honesty, although you'll be hard pressed to find a Skoda dealer who'll acknowledge the fault. Try VW, at least VW have admitted it's there on the Passat B3-B5.5.

Alternatively depending on where you are in South Wales I may travel with my sealant ;)

I don't want to sound like a bit of a know it all.........BUT this is a very easy fix without losing any skin. I sorted the seal and repaired the wires under the nsf carpet in half a day, today actually, look at my pollen filter post there's some photo's to help.

• 2 weeks later...

hi friends, I want to thanks 'Taxi' for the tip about 'pollen filter leak'.

I drive a Passat 1.9TDI 2004 and my Italian VW dealer seems to know nothing about the filter gasket leak. So I have solved by myself reading this forum.

Hi guys,

I live in Belgium ,drive a 100 edition superb(19 tdi 130),and very happy with it.

Now reading this forum the whole thing of water leaks concerns me...

I want to remove the drain plastic things under the battery,but theres my problem.

I can't seem to get it out...it's heavy and its stuck under the wiper spoiler.:mad:

How do you guys manage to get this thing out without breaking the wiper spoiler or anything else...

If I read the manual from skoda it sounds simple...without having to remove the spoiler.

But in reality....

thanks

Ben

Hi Slammy

I have a passat 1.9tdi 130 , but i hope that your wiper spoiler is the same, first remove the two metal clips under the wiper one in center the other on the right and use a lever between the glass and the wiper. Read the "gimmigio" instructions on this italian forum: Acqua all'interno. Lato guida posto posteriore - VW Golf Club Italia than use google translate for italian language.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

Mine is a Skoda Superb 2005/05 1.9 PD130 elegance

Mine is due for service (43000 miles) and I talked to Hughes Skoda and asked them if they could do this pollen filter housing repair for me. But the guy told me I don't need to do this because must have been done already as my car is quite new.

Do you think that can be correct? because from the VW bulletin it looked like they only do it only after the leak happens (when the damage is already done). Not as preventive maintenance. Do you think Skoda has a more proactive approach? Do you think t hey could have done it as part of routine service even though nobody asked for it? Somehow that sounds too good to be true.

Can any of you guys confirm or deny this? Is it possible cars from 2005/05 onwards won't have this problem?