Very tempted by the T-mobile G1

Phil-E

Hey there guys.

Anyone got any opinions/experience of the new G1?

They have just reduced the price plans which are actually pretty generous!

£30 a month gets you £140 worth of allowance (works out at 700 mins and 1400 texts) plus web n walk (3x more data allowance than normal with the G1).

Like the idea of the market place to add new apps and it all being open source!!

Phil

all i can say is WOW!

Im now the proud owner of a white G1 and loving it!

The phone UI is very smooth and liking the market place.

Cant wait for things like onscreen keyboard and saving apps to sd card.

Phil

Well about the phone being made by HTC... this is now my 5th HTC phone and they have all been excellent phones and have really enjoyed using them.

It is running Android yes (same as iPhone I believe).

I got it on a T-mobile Flext Tarrif as I first posted... so £30 gets me £140 allowance plus web n walk and the phone was free... plus I got the last 8gb memory card in the shop they had to give away with these! :D

Just fiddling around now using a guide on XDA developers to encode some videos onto it for when we go to Oz on thursday!

Phil

It is running Android yes (same as iPhone I believe).

iPhone runs (a version of) Mac OS X.

Android is an open-source operating system whose development was sponsored by Google.

Two different things.

Edited by The Ors
Doh!

iPhone runs (a version of) Mac OS X.

Android is an open-source operating system whose development was sponsored by Google.

Two different things.

Oh yeh... so it is... I just guessed at that one but have just looked it up!

P.s. Anyone got the Lolcats builder app? its simply... lol-able!!

Edited by philje123

I love it. Best phone I've had by miles, but there are a few points which aren't so good at the moment.

1. The UK phone is sold on version RC8 and apparently the US are on RC30, so we are way behind. But on the same note I heard the UK updates were different to them in the US. So I don't know weather to attempt to upgrade to RC29 then 30. I don't want to mess it up if it isn't compatible with these US upgrades (if it is true there is a difference)

2. The bluetooth is only able to connect to bluetooth headsets. You cannot transfer phonebooks, contacts, photo's bideos or anything else over it at the moment.... LAME.

3. The battery life is poor, I've had to charge it every day, and I barely use it for anything other than texting at the moment.

With any luck though, 2+3 should be sorted with updates, and well, 1 I'm guessing will be solved as the phone updates itself.

Regarding the RC30 updates etc..

If you have the oficial RC8 update you cannot install any modified updates or anything as this requires a modified backup image or something which requires root access (something which they have blocked in the oficial RC8 and RC30 updates).

So until someone works out a bypass to get root on the oficial new updates we're stuck with it how it is.

I believe the US software has Amazom mp3 store and IM client built in...

Phil

Regarding the RC30 updates etc..

If you have the oficial RC8 update you cannot install any modified updates or anything as this requires a modified backup image or something which requires root access (something which they have blocked in the oficial RC8 and RC30 updates).

So until someone works out a bypass to get root on the oficial new updates we're stuck with it how it is.

I believe the US software has Amazom mp3 store and IM client built in...

Phil

It runs Linux, so just get the source code and compile a custom build with the patches to let you apply the update 30?

To be fair it won't be long until you get loads of variations of the system based on the GPL sources. Of course if google don't want to play ball and don't release the sources then I somehow think that the FSF will be very busy.

Alternatively if they have blocked `su` to become root have they also blocked `sudo -s`?

Otherwise it almost certainly has to be possible to put the phone into single user mode. Can you get a command line? If so try `init 1`

Can this be synched with Outlook

It can but I imported my address into the Google Mail address book and magically they appeared on the phone along with all calendar entries :D

I have found now that after having it for almost 2 weeks the battery now lasts for 2 days with calls, txt, browsing and playing around with some apps :D

Anyone come across any good apps?

I especially like the ShopSavy app..

Andy

I have:

Backgrounds

Power Manager

Shazam

ShopSavvy

Device info (allows you to manually check for updates)

The Weather Channel

I have noticed my battery life increasing properly, I'm just making sure to run it right down, then charge over night.

I had a demo of one of these yesterday in the T-Mobile shop and I was quite impressed. Like Wardy though the only thing that stops me getting one is being tied to T-Mobile... although I've now seen the Nokia N97 and think I might hold out for that instead!

I'm never an early adopter of new tech so if I did go for Android I'd wait until new handsets became available.

How are people getting on with this phone? My contract runs out end of March so i'm starting to look at potentials. Can't decide between this the N97 and the HTC Touch HD. Like others im wary about being the first adopter of a completely new OS.

Is there any simple way to send a message to all my contacts?

There an App in the market called "Text Easy"... used it to send a group text out about my new number!

• 1 month later...