Illogical Behaviour

Possibly - but it just does not sound the same. The roar you get when you boot it is just Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat. I appreciate economics does not play a part in my decision but I really am so pleased with the 2.5 i all areas. I have sorted the pollen filter issue out now and I service it (Oil and Filter) twice per year and only use BP Ultimate Diesel. I have also extended the warranty and will do so every year until it really makes no sense to continue.

I just hope i don't catch a cold like "The kick inside" - however I know quite a number of people who also have the 2.5 with varying age and mileages and they are also very pleased?

Regards

John

Add me to the list of Very Happy :) 2.5 TDI owners. My 06/06 is now approaching 54k troublefree miles - although I may not be so cheerful after the 60k cambelt service........!

4 pots can never sound as good as 5 (my old A6) or 6..........

Apart from 10k oil / filter changes only routine stuff has been rear pads (x2 @ 18 & 40k), front pads (50k) and tyres.

Very grateful to Forum members to help keep it this way.

i have not measured that (prpbably dont want to pee myself off) but on my journes and since i have had the car on the cumulative MPG on trip - it states 34 MPG. When I do a long run on a motorway it goes up to the high 40's on the trip. If I just do a small run down to the town and back which is probably 5 miles it gets up to around 20MPG.

Hope that helps.

I know it is not economical but that was not a considration when I bought it. It probably would be now if i were to buy an new car though.

Regards

John

Meh, how did this turn into another V6 vs 4-pot debate? :(

I do agree with Superbia though on the principle, purely on economic reasons, although it is true to say that if you removed cabbies from the equation the V6 auto is probably the more "popular" choice.

when you look at the market they are sought after as cabs, but V6 is the kiss of death as far as cabbies wanting them, I just thought Skoda would've recognised this.

They did by offering a 4 pot.

I very much doubt Skoda thought about the main market for the Superb being just taxi's, there are just a couple of Superb taxi's local, but loads of Octavia's.

I would of thought that there is a pretty even split (when they are new) between Superb taxi's and the luxury company car that is covering high miles, then you also get a few private buyers thrown in.

I would also of thought that the average of 10mpg difference between an Octavia and Superb would play a big part in a cabby's choice of taxi (or are the round town mpg figures much the same?)

They did by offering a 4 pot.

I very much doubt Skoda thought about the main market for the Superb being just taxi's, there are just a couple of Superb taxi's local, but loads of Octavia's.

I would of thought that there is a pretty even split (when they are new) between Superb taxi's and the luxury company car that is covering high miles, then you also get a few private buyers thrown in.

I would also of thought that the average of 10mpg difference between an Octavia and Superb would play a big part in a cabby's choice of taxi (or are the round town mpg figures much the same?)

Well generally I don't think there's anything in it, the manual 1.9's seem as economical as the Octy's from what I hear on the rank, I guess Skoda didn't really want the Superb to become a common sight taxi either now you mention it, the funny thing is like you say there are a bucket load of Octy's but limited Superb's, but when you weigh up the car's the Superb should be 1st choice for the job out of the two purely for customer comfort, I can tell you a funny thing about me, I cannot find another car to replace my Superb with that offers the room and is automatic that's affordable to me sub 12k, I just can't face sitting on the dash of a Vectra again while getting kneed in the back all day, it's the same in most of that class of car with only the Octy 11 offering slightly more room than the other's, maybe the 18 mths of the Superb has spoiled me, but it's the only thing since the Omega I feel is 100% suitable and although a 5 series is desireable I just cannot afford to run or buy one.

The Octavia is an 'owners' cab, the Superb a 'drivers' cab. Octavia offers better mpg & a hatchback, the only reason you'd choose 1 over a Superb.

In auto form the 1.9tdi did its job very well in both models (as many will testify) but the extra mpg of the Octavia made it a firm favourite with those whos cabs are run by its accounts.

I run my current car due to the same reason Supurbia bought his Superb, got fed up with getting kneed in the back every journey which is what I had with my 3 Octavias, mpg isn't the best in its class but I am comfortable & the driving experience is way better than that of my Octavias. I'd love a Superb auto but the poor mpg, lack of rear wiper & the boot (Mk1) isn't the best option for the job, maybe I'll be tempted into a Mk2 when they are 2 or so years old but doubt it will be a new one at the current prices vs takings per shift.