which gearboxes are the same? or will work

RallyRed

I'm looking for a gearbox for my 1.416v.

I cant find one with the same code. there seem to be dozens of different 1.416v gearboxes.

according to the sticker in my service book. its an AYW.

Anyone know if any others are compatable?

i know i've put golf gear boxes in polos before so fingers crossed.

That's a tough one. First you have the input shaft length to consider and the spline count/pitch for the clutch plate. Then gear ratios and final drive ratio. Then physical size etc. Why not just stick to the original type of box?

Ah right the fragile AYW boxes. Pretty sure the Polo 1.4 16V 6N platform gearbox will fit. But double check this as I am not 100% sure. Also try to get as late a box as possible. VAG uprated the crownwheel to carrier rivets to prevent the casing from being chewed up due to breaking rivets.

:confused: fragile, there we have it folks, everybody with a fabia has to watch out in case thier gearbox falls apart...

except the 6 cogger, all the fabia boxes are all pretty much the same internally

I would not worry too much about Fabia gearboxes. Even the 6 speed uses the rivets to mount the crown wheel to the diff carrier. VAG had problems with the 02A and 02R boxes, the rivets would fail and cause the box to eat itself. The problem started round about 1999 and AFAIK the rivets were made larger diameter and harder material round about 2002/03

There is a kit available to replace the rivets with special bolts,tap plates and nuts, but it's a box out and strip down to do it.

The biggest killer of boxes is shifting down at too high revs, incorrect oil levels (too high or too low) and believing that 'filled for life' gearbox oil means you shouldn't change the oil at say 30,000 miles (which you should.)

If you google "Most Reliable Cars" the index by warranty direct shows the average car index as 112. The Fabia scores 78 (lower number is better) so it's more reliable than your average car. The Octavia does even better.

If I was going for a crazy remap, I would probably look at fitting a Quaif Diff with the rivet to bolt modification.

Put into perspective, a Fabia VRS selling at just over 12K new, is a real bargain, given the performance, fuel ecconomy, and better than average reliabilty. Compair it to a Porsche Boxter which comes last in the reliability tests, and I think we should all be feeling rather chuffed.

For every fault posted, there are thousands of cars running just dandy, as few people post to say "My car has no problems." :thumbup:

If you want a real nightmare, buy a Merc :rofl:

its has to be said that my fabia is the most unreliable car i've ever had. its not a bad car it just keep breaking.

and i've had a 33 year old cortina and a 28 year old capri.

My metro had less go wring with it.

I'm kinda stuck with my fabia till i'm finished paying off some debts.

Its the lowest miles and newest used car i've ever bought and only one i've ever bought from a franchised dealer.

If i had bought it privately i'd have been in deep sh t cos i got lots of thing fixed on the warranty.

its only done 55k its a 2000 so thats very low nowadays.

so far it has one whole antiroll bar and later on the bushes.

strut top mount and spring all changed at 35K dealer blamed speed bumps.

rear brake caliper discs and pads were changed at 30K cos the old ones had seized

The ecu stopped recognising the keys. new ecu. thank feck it was under warranty.

and since the warranty ran out pretty much every fault thats common to fabias.

corrode alternator wire connector. pinking cos of egr settings. rear wash. wiper fuse

epc light is a dear friend now ;o)

Without this webiste i'd have been seriously screwed.

i got such slagging from my mates for buying a skoda. i was like its a bigger cheape polo it'll be great.

i'm gonna buy a focus (kidding)

anyway back on topic sorry about the rant..

any recomendations for places to rebuild my box?

or is there a rebuild kit i can get and do it myself? (that'll be fun)

VAG had problems with the 02A and 02R boxes

Was the 02A ever fitted to the Fabia? IIRC no, not even to the SDi. The 02A isnt much more than an update to the 020 I have in my 20yr old MK2 16v. The 02R is a diferent box being the next in line after the 02J as fitted to just abour every 5 spd 1.8T mounted transversely, still suffers with diff rivet issues.

There is a kit available to replace the rivets with special bolts,tap plates and nuts, but it's a box out and strip down to do it.

If I was going for a crazy remap, I would probably look at fitting a Quaif Diff with the rivet to bolt modification.

ooo like this :)

100_0670.jpg

Had to get it for mine, no way I was going to try and channel 300bhp through front wheels without it.

yay thanks to kwacka pointing out that i was looking for the wrong thing. ( it is an eyw.) i've found a couple.

ranging form 270 quid delvered to 600 quid delivered.

No probs, I wanted one because there was an oil leak from between the casings, but I got a local independent to remove, split and reseal for £250. Maybe you could get your problem repaired cheaper?