New windscreen through insurance

corradoboy

I got clobbered by a stone a few weeks back resulting in a large chip and crack to my screen. Called the insurers and they arranged to have National Windscreens come out, at which point I advised them I wanted a genuine Skoda screen, complete with top tint. National Windscreens called me later and I confirmed I wanted an OE screen and was prepared to wait whilst they acquired one. They said they'd call me to arrange fitting when it came into stock.

On Monday morning I was just dropping off to sleep following a 12 hour nightshift when the fitters from NW arrived, unannounced :mad: Grumpily I got up and they began work, for all of 20 minutes. They couldn't remove one of the wiper arms which appeared to have seized on (alloy to steel :rolleyes: ) and so gave up, requested that I remove it for them and they'd come back later. I asked them to come on Thursday morning.

After some sleep I tackled the wiper arm, which came free after just 1 minutes trying :finger: then left my car ready for their arrival on Thursday.

Thursday morning came and went with no sign of NW :mad: So I called them at 12.30 to which they said they had no record of an appointment. They arranged for someone to come after 1pm today to allow me to sleep in in preparation for my nightshift again.

10am Friday morning my lie in was disturbed by another NW fitter whom hadn't read his job sheet :rolleyes: and he got started. After 2 minutes he noted that the windscreen supplied by Skoda didn't have the rubber encapsulation seal attached and he was reluctant to fit it. I called Skoda whom confirmed that there was supposed to be a rubber seal. They offered me a replica screen which did have the seal but wouldn't have the top tint to which I refused. The guy left and I called my insurers whom referred me on to Autoglass.

I've just called Autoglass and they refuse to supply an OE Skoda part as they say my insurers won't pay the extra. I found that somewhat strange as NW had done so, even though they had acquired an incomplete item. I asked if it was more likely that the reason was that Autoglass don't make as much from OE parts, being that NW were allowed to order an original part, to which he refused to comment and I hung up.

So, here sit now awaiting my insurers to call me back and sort it out.

What a farce :finger:

There are two screens for these cars, the early ones had the rubber encapsualtion, but Skoda superseeded the part later to one without a rubber encapsulation. So if you ever order a dealer part you will always get a part without the encapsualtion regardless of the cars VIN. So NO windscreen company can get you the same screen you have UNLESS you get an aftermarket one.

You also have to remember that the insurance company is the one paying for the screen to be replaced on your car, so it is up to them which screen is fitted. Autoglass are able to fit an OEM screen but working to the letter MUST charge you the difference in price between the OEM and the aftermarket part. The insurance compant knows exactly how much that difference is, and will only pay the price thay have been given.

The aftermarket OES screens are the same as the OES just made in different factories. Put it this way I've worked in automotive glazing for nearly 16 years and I'm more than happy with the OES part in my car. Edit to add, the OES part is actually better than the OEM part as the OEM part was hidiously distorted.

I had a new windscreen fitted 4 months ago through my insurer + autoglass. I requested a screen with the top tint, which i had fitted. Cost me £60 on top of fully comp insurance (aparently this is a standard charge...). Not sure about rubber encapsulation but the screen has been fine.

Apart from a bl@@dy big chip in the passenger side which happened on the way to work yesterday (windscreen only 4 months old, not happy!). Luckily it hasn't spread yet so I'm going to call my insurance company on monday and get autoglass to come out and repair it (as long as it doesn't spread - would be all i need, another £60 just before christmas lol).

Good luck getting it sorted! As I say, my screen was fitted by autoglass and was fine;)

I had an autoglass one and it's fine apart from - it was a no top-tint one (Comfort spec didn;t have one) and the black edging around the screen is slightly smaller than the original meaning I can "just" see the edge of the headlining from outside. Bugged me at forst but doesn't any more.

i had Autoglas out to replace mine last year, they came with a no-tint one aswell, the guy took one look at my car asked if i wanted to a top tinted one, i said yes, so he phoned his boss and said i refused to accept the one they had and they reschedualed it to be done a couple of days later. no hassle at all from me :D

I specified a top tint on my application online. The lady from head office whom called back to confirm the details and arrange payment of the excess also confirmed it, and the guy from the local office who called an hour later also confirmed it. So, I fully expect them to arrive with a non-tinted screen on Monday :P

Had mine replaced just under a year ago at RAC Windscreens.

Not entirely sure if it's OE or "pattern" (is that the term?) but it looks exactly the same as the one the factory fitted and when I called to book the job upon hearing it was a vRS the guy asked not only if I wanted an overall tint but also a choice of grey or green top tint.

Top job by RAC.

Had 2 screens in the VRS in 2 years and both came with top tint. In fact

both fitters mentioned that the VRS had top tint. Thumbs up to autoglass

from me, and thumbs down if the insurance companies are not doing like

for like. To put it another way, as a potential buyer of a VRS if you did

not have the top tint i would haggle you down a couple of hundred.

Thereby the replacement screen could cost you money in real terms.