55 plate octy vrs grumbling when pulling away

Pozza

Guys I had a mk1 octy VRS which I've traded for a mk2. I've had a few problems with it and now the cold weather has arrived I have a noise when turning the wheel from right to left only, they are replacing the steering rack under warranty next week. but I also have like a rumbling noise when I pull away from a stand still, its worse when on an incline as you are giving it more rev's, you can also feel a knock through the pedals, once moving it doesn't exist, the garage says they want to replace sateering rack first and take it from there. I thought it may have been a characteristic of the Mk2 but have driven another and it didn't do that. Also does the 55 plates have a throaty exhaust as when I put my foot down you can hear the exhaust growl. Again my mk1 didn't do this. Can anyone help with ideas on these issues. Thanks

Diesel or petrol? my 1.9 tdi sometimes judders at the point where the clutch bites on cold mornings. I had the car checked as I thought it might be a clutch/transmission problem, but it is the PD engine being a bit rough when cold. Once the engine is warm it's OK.

Duel Mass flywheel and clutch sounds like the flywheel is unbalanced - a code reader should find this out.

I was also told by a the local Skoda dealer that Diesel Octavias RS's needs to be driven quite hard in towns and they don't like poodling about like the older Petrol RS's

Edited by Banana-Man

Yes its the 2.0 TFSI petrol

Mine does this and after much worry about DMF failure and the like (apparently only a worry for Diesel drivers though) and getting the garage to check it, seems this is 'normal'.

After reading this, I have noticed that my petrol vRS, which I've only had for 10 days or so, is also doing this when pulling away. It does sound like a tractor at low revs - I'm just hoping nobody's swapped my engine for the TDi whilst I've been asleep! :eek:

Well my beloved VRS went into the garage today for the grumbling noise when pulling away from standstll in 1st gear at a certain rev point. the servicemanager sat in the car with me and agreed he could hear the noise but thought this was normal. As it happens they had another 06 VRS on the forecourt for sale so he grabbed the keys and we tried this one, to my suprise it was exactly the same!!!! He said it was just the noise produced by these cars as the new engine has a dual mass flywheel... I havent put this in for repair as i'm now convinced this is a characteristic of this car as they both cant be faulty. Guess i'll just have to live with it but at least for piece of mind i've now proved this is the "norm"

For what it's worth, my 08 VRS is in Freebourne having its Flywheel changed after 10k as it's duff (Stuck) this was making the judder and also making the car stall when in car parks etc!

I think juddering and stalling might be different to the "grumble at low revs" that most people here are talking about. I'm guessing yours was also hard to change gears ?

Hope it is all fixed OK for you.

Oddly the judder didn't come up through the peddle but was more of an audible noise. Having driven rally cars competitively and coming from a vehicle repair background (yrs ago) it just didn't feel right to me.

Changing gears wasn't a problem, and the "judder" would also show itself when applying power in 2nd and 3rd, although not all the time. The stalling didn't seem related other than i thought there was some sort of power loss, in effect the engine was struggling to turn over i guess and when it was asked to work a bit without forward motion helping it, it just cut out.

Still love the car although I wish in many ways I had kept my Petrol one, milage was creeping up on it though as was MOT etc.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd have a trawl thro' the forum to see if I could find anything similar to the issues I've had with my 56 reg Vrs Petrol. On more than one occasion it's visited the local dealer for some TLC...one of the issues that has never been resolved (& there are a few!) is this rumbling/grumbling noise on moving off -particularly on a hill & what I would class as a bad judder via the clutch...occasionally all this was accompanied by a squeal/groaning noise ! The gear selection can at times be less than slick.

Having read this thread, are we saying this is normal? Given it's petrol, am I right in thinking it doesn't have a DMF?

It's probably not due a service for a while (or variable)...but it may go back in before then anyway - as we continue to suffer from fogging up inside the car (& now inside the rear o/s light cluster) & one or two other niggles - including mpg that I can't get much above 25-26, my driving style isn't particularly hard, granted most of my driving is around town/short d/c way stints, but even still - others seem to manage more.

As always, any comments are appreciated.