Smoking Octy 1.9tdi 90 hp. Any ideas what's up

My 2001 Octavia 1.9 tdi 90 hp is coughing and spluttering on a cold start and lets out some white smoke. It's done 57k miles, it's got a full service history (not Skoda main dealer though), I had a full cam belt change/aux belt/tensioner change about 3-4k miles ago. It seems ok when the engine is hot, and the perfomance isn't effected and still does 55mpg. Any ideas on what's causing the cough/smoke?

I've just been out and started her up for the first time today, some smoke came out and she cough quite a bit but fired up. Then after switching the engine off after 2 mins of running, i started her back up and she started fine? I a bit worried about her!

Does the problem date back to the cambelt change or soon after?

If so get it rechecked including the injector timing which might be out.

Otherwise glowplugs (or relay), or temp sensor possibly.

These are just common things that seem to come up on here and not personal expertise!

Does the motor fire up quickly or does it crank for a while when cold? I would be inclined to check the glowplugs as when warm it starts OK

I've noticed my vRS smoking (white smoke) while idling at lights but have put it down to weather being cold. I've been checking other cars out on my travels and 8/10 other cars around me are doing the same, it just looks like mine is kicking out more than others.... which makes sense from the emissions.

Don't appear to be loosing any coolant and it isn't spluttering.... therefore i'm putting it down to winter fuel and the cold mornings.... fingers crossed!

@ moley.

It cranks for a couple of seconds on a morning. You can leave it for 4 hours after and it will start in an instant. I think the smoke is un burned fuel as it's got the same amount of oil as it did since the last service in Sept.

I think I will take it to the garage that did the can belt etc to see if they can cast any light on it. Thanks for the advice everyone! :)

If the problems only been since the cambelt was changed then the commencement of injection is out. This should be checked and adjusted if required after every belt change or removal. A lot of garages just replace the belt and have no idea this should be checked.