Remaining miles until Service

Just a quick question if anyone can help me out a bit. My VRS PD170 should be due a service fairly soon as i have checked the code inside the handbook and its setup for varible servicing, the car is now on 17,500 miles since July 07.

When i hold down the trip reset button and turn the ignition i get the service spanner on the display but no mileage next to it?? When i turn the on the car normally i don't get the spanner on the display and have never seen it (so i haven't missed anything). I just don't want to be driving the car around for thousands of miles past its service. The oil was very low at some point so i topped it up with the long life stuff. Do you think this has had an effect on the servicing time?

Thanks in advance!

Stu

I checked mine the other day and the spanner came up with the mileage left before service. On variable the service spanner normally comes on with about 1700 miles to service, when you switch on. Topping up the oil shouldn't make a difference as the oil viscocity is linked to the variable service regime. Variable servicing is somewhere between 12-18K depending on the type of journeys and driving style. I would get the dealer to check it out as it must be due for service soon.

Thanks for the replies,

It literally gets quite an easy life cruising up and down the motorway 60 miles a day with hardly any town driving at all. I will book it in for service within the next few weeks as like you mentioned, it will need doing anyway.

I will get them to check whats going on when its at the garage. When i checked a month or so ago they quoted £180 which i didn't think was too bad really.

Thanks again.

Just a quick question if anyone can help me out a bit. My VRS PD170 should be due a service fairly soon as i have checked the code inside the handbook and its setup for varible servicing, the car is now on 17,500 miles since July 07.

When i hold down the trip reset button and turn the ignition i get the service spanner on the display but no mileage next to it?? When i turn the on the car normally i don't get the spanner on the display and have never seen it (so i haven't missed anything). I just don't want to be driving the car around for thousands of miles past its service. The oil was very low at some point so i topped it up with the long life stuff. Do you think this has had an effect on the servicing time?

Thanks in advance!

Stu

I don't think you are 'checking' the Service due in the correct way. Try it this way;

1. Run the car

2. Switch off the ignition one-click only (not two-clicks as you would normally do to remove the key).

3. Press and hold the trip meter button for 2 to 3 seconds.

4. Release the trip button and the display will alternate between miles and days to next service (assuming you have a regular, not maxidot display).

OK?

Ah now thats more like it. I was following the instructions to hold the trip reset counter then turn the ignition to the first position. This was just showing me a spanner and nothing else. By doing the above i actually got the reading and it was 1300 miles until due.

Thanks for all your help, at least i know the car will need to go in within the next 3 weeks or so.

Thanks again.

Stu

• 6 months later...
I don't think you are 'checking' the Service due in the correct way. Try it this way;

1. Run the car

2. Switch off the ignition one-click only (not two-clicks as you would normally do to remove the key).

3. Press and hold the trip meter button for 2 to 3 seconds.

4. Release the trip button and the display will alternate between miles and days to next service (assuming you have a regular, not maxidot display).

OK?

what about with maxidot? can you go in to see how long until next service?

thanks

Yes you can.

Enter the car. Buckle up, close the door (so there wont be any messages left on the maxidot). Turn ignition on (all the lights in the dash will light) and then push the button and hold it.

This will show you the remaining miles/days until service. (unless it has been resetted not too long ago).

Yes you can.

Enter the car. Buckle up, close the door (so there wont be any messages left on the maxidot). Turn ignition on (all the lights in the dash will light) and then push the button and hold it.

This will show you the remaining miles/days until service. (unless it has been resetted not too long ago).

push and hold which button? the trip one or one of the maxidot ones (ie on the right hand stalk?)

• 2 weeks later...
Strange thing with mine. Just checked it as its been around 17K since my last service and its showing next one is due in 8300 miles! that cant be right surely?

Well, how many miles have you done in the meantime (since your last service)?

17K since last service

Sorry, misread your earlier post. I make that 25,300 from last service to next service, which seems pretty good. Don't knock it! :thumbup: You have the PD140 engine? IIRC this sort of interval can be done on that engine.

Sorry, misread your earlier post. I make that 25,300 from last service to next service, which seems pretty good. Don't knock it! :thumbup: You have the PD140 engine? IIRC this sort of interval can be done on that engine.

Yeah I have the PD140. I was a bit worried it was not close enough as my other 2 have been around the 17K mark. think i will pop into the stealer and just make sure.