ANPR Camera's

GAFF

Can these detect speed or are they soley to read reg numbers?

Anyone here working with the powers that be like to comment?

This system is being rolled out in Ireland and according to the paper it can detect speed, Gardai use new hi-tech devices in bid to curb speeding - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

See 3rd last paragraph "The state-of-the-art ANPR system, which is unique in Europe, can detect and read five number plates per second. It is capable of reading number plates for untaxed vehicles and can also detect speed."

Can I ask how these work and can calculate the speed if the Cop car is moving, does it use the cars speedo (we all know how accurate these are), or does it use GPS?

If they do detect speed my worry would be you could be driving on a nice open safe road in a 60mph limit and doing 64-65 mph and meet a cop car driving in the opposite direction and you're done.

Guest westallc

its called dsrc the new improved anpr and will be able to detect speed as far as im aware. not released in the uk still in test at the moment.... there are also the new wave of camera vans for the detection of speeding bikes..

if you ask me i think we should all be equipt with a missle and blow every speed camera and van beside the road into oblivion i hate them............................money making machines not for decreasing accidents as the cops tell you.....

ANPR is solely a numberplate reader. however SPECs works on the same prinicple of ANPR reading your number plate and between the first camera and the second premtermined carmera it will know the set distance and work out your average speed between the two.

Hence why many forces are removing speed camera sites and vans.

Typical dumb a$$es in Eire, they are now bringing in all these and Privatising (just to make sure a company can shaft you even more). At a time when the UK are seeing the disadvantages and phasing out. Muppets.

Although I have been told that Gatso vans will no longer be hiding behind bus shelters but easy to spot to encourage speed reductions. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think ANPR vans are brilliant. There main purpose is to spot untaxed, uninsured, and no road tax vehicles. Close to a million uninsured cars on the road, paid for by the rest of us in increased premiums. They also spot vehicles used for other crimes like drug dealers, house breakers etc.

Quite a few traffic cars are fitted with a smaller version.

Most people pay about £20 a year to protect themselves against losses if hit by an uninsured driver.

The law is moving the right direction with this. Vehicle is seized, £105 + £12 per day storage, crushed or sold on if not recovered withing 14 days. £200 minimum fine and 6 points on the license.

I agree with ANPR cameras , if youre taxed insured and MOTd then you have nothing to fear. Ive seen the TV programmes with the traffic cops and its amazing how many untaxed/uninsured cars are used for dodgy purposes , having these sheds off the road can only be a good thing IMHO.

Which they wont have. So what's the point of giving them points? Jail's much better

Jail terms are sometimes handed out to repeat offenders, but not often enough, so I agree with what you are saying. The 6 points for a non license holder, gets put on their license if/when they pass the test. This will then result in an automatic ban, as 6 points when license held for less than 2 years is the limit, rather than 12 points for other drivers.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: Whats so funny about that if you don't know what they are?

See here (I couldn't find photos),

oh thats where the old hairdryers go :rofl: afaik all vans were laser, but then ive never been to ireland. the video was good reminded me of my old radar detector i had years ago, excellent on picking up cameras and plod, just crap near shops :(