I've done it now!!!

After much deliberation, have just ordered a new L & K Octavia estate PD with DSG. Alcantara, tyre pressure monitoring, silver roof rails, front mud flaps in metallic black for £169270 OTR with 12 months RFL. It struck me as too good a price to miss.

I spent new year with friends in Christchurch and called in to take a look at the L & K saloon and was swayed by the estate that we drove.

I was also considering a 123d BMW - one hell of a car!! Fantastic blend of performance, handling and economy in a really fine machine. What put me off was the attitude of the dealer. The whole place had a real haughty ambience and right from the off, I was treated as though I was wasting their time and didn't have the money to pay for the car. The Skoda dealer couldn't have been more different - offered us coffee, chatted very openly, offered us a test drive and just casually reminded us what time they closed as we left!!! -

The cars were chalk and cheese to be honest with the BM appealing to my heart and the Skoda to my head but even if it had been at the same price - there was no way I was going to buy from the BMW dealer.

My only regret - the price offered by the Skoda dealer direct was £1K more than I was quoted through SkodaStore.com which is too big a difference to ignore and so I used another Skoda dealer. Still - I've been very impressed with the Skoda dealerships that I've dealt with.

Can't wait to get the car now!!!!!

Ha Ha . . . a little too enthusiastic there with my typing digit . . knock off the nought!!! Still, it's a good price.

Why do folks seem to have it in for the PD engine. I've got it in my 130 Elegance and never had a moment's worry. I recently test drove a Passat CC with a two litre diesel and DSG - It surprised me how easily it revved around to the redline when the accelarator was floored - I guess that was the CR engine. Certainly my car gets a little coarse at much over 3500 rpm but I never go there anyway.

So what's the big deal on the CR??

The big deal I was lucky enough to get was £15522 OTR for a brand new VRS CR170 DSG estate in metallic black. Will be interesting to compare notes and see what economy figures the CR produces against the PD. Hope you'll be pleased with the L&K - I certainly think you'll be pleased with the DSG box - I've so far suffered no hesitation problems pulling away, as noted by some postings. Town driving is almost a pleasure without having to change gear constantly.

£15522 is a bloody bargain. Well done!

I'll second that!!

I paid a heck of a lot more than that last March for mine (without the DSG) and I still believe the car was good value for money!!

I hope you Enjoy your bargain as much as I enjoy mine.

G.K.

There was a brand new one at the dealer when I got my car for £17795, and even then, that's cheap...

I'm sure online the RRP is near £20,000 for a vRS w/ DSG!

I paid £17.9k earlier this year for a factory order black L&K estate with every option except Columbus and TPM and at the time I thought I got a great deal. In the present climate I have no idea whether I could've got it cheaper nowadays or not! (Although I can't stand the facelift shape and would probably have had to settle for what's already sitting round in stock in garages! :confused:)

I could never buy a new car. I would just wake up in a cold sweat the next day realising it is going to be worth a quarter that by the time it needs an MOT.

Why is it a PD if it is new? Thought they were on CR now.

Ah, it was more that SWMBO doesn't have to worry, and I don't have to worry about her if something goes wrong with the car. Roadside assistance can be bought, but the warranty thing and the new car factor are very comforting.

That and the fact I tend to keep cars between ice ages so depreciation isn't tooooo much of a trouble.:D

All this talk of VRS estates with the CR engine at little more than the cost of a Mars bar is making me wonder if I've gone the right route. I did want Crusise control and reversing sensors but could quite happily go without all the other bling. hmm!! . . . Oh, as I said - I've done it now!!

All this talk of VRS estates with the CR engine at little more than the cost of a Mars bar is making me wonder if I've gone the right route. I did want Crusise control and reversing sensors but could quite happily go without all the other bling. hmm!! . . . Oh, as I said - I've done it now!!

Sorry - I didn't want to put doubts in your mind - I'm sure you'll be delighted with your L & K.

To be fair, my VRS was one which may have been sat around for a little while (although it couldn't have been that long with having the CR engine). Mine has the old spec ie 17" wheels, standard climate control as opposed to dual-zone, no jumbo box and no reversing sensors. I was just so amazed at the price I was offered it was a no-brainer (apologies to all who hate that phrase).

I may live to regret it at resale time, if and when I decide to change, by not having the extra goodies, but at the moment I'm just enjoying the transition to DSG.

Sorry - I didn't want to put doubts in your mind - I'm sure you'll be delighted with your L & K.

No worries at all . . .I'm just indecisive - I think or . . .maybe I'm not!!:D

I was being facetious . . .the only real concern I have is whether or not I've done the right thing going for this DSG thing. Time will tell

Edited by Javaman

You won't regret the DSG, it's brilliant. I've had a new CR Vrs now for a month at £15,135 - no VAT and I'm very happy. Still not done 1k miles yet but once it's run in a bit, I can tell it's going to be quick. My third Octavia too btw. Why bother with a Beemer or an Audi ?

Edited by Paul007
forgot CR !

No worries at all . . .I'm just indecisive - I think or . . .maybe I'm not!!:D

I was being facetious . . .the only real concern I have is whether or not I've done the right thing going for this DSG thing. Time will tell

Oh hell . . why did you have to go and tell me that . . . that's even less than the cost of a friggin Mars bar!!!

:)