does anyone with a superb II live near me ?

i haven't paid much attention to where all you folks who have got a new superb live. I need your help as i am convinced there is a problem with my car. I could do with being taken out for a ride in another one to compare. My car simply doesnt drive as nice as the test drive vehicles - to the point where there is a constant vibration though my arms when resting on the arm rest. I have explored the obvious - tyre pressures, wheel balancing etc.

Its awkward to go back to the dealer at this stage as it is nearly 200miles. My local dealer - again a bit awkward "sorry i didnt buy a car from you but can i take you demo out for half an hour"

anyone in the lincs/ notts / yorks area that can help out a fellow briskodian ?

Jonathan

I would take it to your local dealer, you have bought a car from the UK network and they should help you. Remember they will make money if warranty work needs doing.

Just a stab in the dark but could it be the change of wheels? Is the Elegance "set up" for 18" wheels?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan

PS car looks cracking on the pre delivery shots you posted.

Okay, let's break this down a bit:

Your problem statement is:

Constant vibration through arms when resting on the arm rest.

First problem with this, is that you don't state if your hands are on the steering wheel or not. I'm assuming that they are, and that you believe the vibration is somehow steering related. You also don't mention if the vibration occurs at idle, or whilst driving, or if it changes with revs/speed.

So, I'll make some assumptions, and we get:

Constant vibration through arms when holding steering wheel and resting left arm on arm rest, with car idling and stationary.

Okay, next step....

When was the problem first noticed?

- Need more information from you on that one.

When could the problem have been noticed, but wasn't?

- When supplying dealer did road test and PDI? Have you asked them if they noticed any such problems?

Where could the problem have been noticed, but wasn't?

- 170 TDI CR Elegance Superb (mine, for a start)

What's different, distinctive or unusual about your car versus cars which don't see the problem?

- Different wheels

- Different tyres

- Different engine

- Different gearbox

So, now we have a problem. The only meaningful comparison would be with, at a minimum, another 1.8TSi engined car. Sadly, there aren't any others to compare with at the moment.

We don't have a baseline for what's normal with a 1.8TSi Elegance DSG, let alone one with different wheels and tyres from standard.

If any of what I've written with my problem statement etc. is different in real life, then give us the details, and we'll run it through again.

Bagpuss.

Okay, let's break this down a bit:

So, I'll make some assumptions, and we get:

Constant vibration through arms when holding steering wheel and resting left arm on arm rest, with car idling and stationary.

I CANT REACH THE WHEEL WHEN MY ARM IS ON THE ARM REST AS I AM A SHORT AR$E !

Okay, next step....

When was the problem first noticed?

WHEN I TOOK THE CAR AWAY FROM THE DEALER AND WENT ON THE OPEN ROAD. I DID A QUICK ROAD TEST WITH THE DEALER BUT IT WAS DIFFICULT TO ASSESS AS ROADS WERE TOWN ROADS IN A BUILT UP AREA AND CONSTANT STOP START

When could the problem have been noticed, but wasn't?

I PHONED THEM AND MENTIONED THE PROBLEM. I DIDNT SPECIFICALLY ASK THIS QUESTION BUT I SUSPECT THE ANSWER WILL BE THAT EVERYTHIGN WAS OK

Where could the problem have been noticed, but wasn't?

- 170 TDI CR Elegance Superb (mine, for a start)

What's different, distinctive or unusual about your car versus cars which don't see the problem?

- Different wheels

- Different tyres

- Different engine

- Different gearbox

So, now we have a problem. The only meaningful comparison would be with, at a minimum, another 1.8TSi engined car. Sadly, there aren't any others to compare with at the moment.

QUITE CORRECT

Bagpuss.

ANDY - thanks for the above. I really appreciate your assessment of the situation. You are helping me to stand back from the issue and look at it objectively.

I have this sinking feeling at the moment that the set up of the chassis on the 1.8TSi is significantly different to the 170CR i test drove. I did investigate this option at the time and did get info that suggested there is no difference (I seem to remember you were involved in assisting me with this line of enquiry).

I am not sure where to go next. I am booked in at my local delear on monday for the weird memory seat problem i have (see other postings) and he (the technician) is going to road test the car with me in it.

i think i need to organise i back to back test drive of my car versus his demo (i know this is a diesel but at least it will prove or disprove my suspicions)

thanks

Vibration of the type you describe is usually caused by the rear wheels being out of balance, I had simillar on an older car and a re-balance of the rear wheels solved the problem.

Hi Jonathan,

Sounds like you are doing the right thing by going to your local dealer. One of the problems with a brand new car design is that there will always be teething troubles initially.

With regards to my problem statement, where do you actually think the vibration is coming from? You've said that you can't hold the steering wheel, and rest your hand on the arm rest....so is the vibration being felt through the arm rest, or somewhere else?

Also, do you feel it when stationary and idling, or when driving, or both?

It it's only when driving, does the vibration change with speed and/or the gear that you are in? What happens if you put the car into neutral? Does the vibration go away?

Is there any situation where you don't feel the vibration? If so, when?

Quite apart from all that, I hope you get it sorted soon.

Andy.

i will come back to you with more info later.

to be honest the roads around Allams are pretty rough (ie typical UK city roads). james is correct in that i didnt notice until i got on the faster roads

I have driven another superb today. it did feel different and could be confirming my thoughts that the spring rates are different in the petrol. (i drove the 170DSG)