Octavia on variable servicing - only 9K between services????

Hello All

My Octavia was serviced last year at about 18K miles. It has just passed 27K and now every time I switch on, it is telling me 600 miles to next service (it said 700 miles on Monday). That's only 9K miles since the last service!

I was expecting it to give me another 18K - my driving style hasn't changed during this time and most journeys are at least 20 miles with almost no stop-start driving.

It makes me wonder whether I'd be better on fixed servicing as AFAIK the cost is less as non long life oil is used.

Any ideas out there?

Many thanks - and Happy New Year!

Glen

Hello All

My Octavia was serviced last year at about 18K miles. It has just passed 27K and now every time I switch on, it is telling me 600 miles to next service (it said 700 miles on Monday). That's only 9K miles since the last service!

I was expecting it to give me another 18K - my driving style hasn't changed during this time and most journeys are at least 20 miles with almost no stop-start driving.

It makes me wonder whether I'd be better on fixed servicing as AFAIK the cost is less as non long life oil is used.

Any ideas out there?

Many thanks - and Happy New Year!

Glen

I'd be tempted to think it's been set on fixed....

If had been set on fixed from new, would it still have reminded me of a service at 18K?

Perhaps I should have said reset to fixed.

My Mk1 was on variable, serviced at 18 and then the light came on at 27. The dealer seemed incapable of reseting the indicator properly. They said they'd had a number of issues reseting variable servicing.

I reset via the dash and serviced the car at 36ish (again variable) the light came back on at 45ish. i reset again and had the car serviced at 54. The garage was sure they'd got it right this time. It came on a year to the day at about 68 (at which time i worked out the cam belt should have been done at 60, so had everything done. At 73 at the moment. I await May or 75 with interest....

(up to the 68k, all my trips where 100mile + motorway journeys).

ALS Autos of Ely, Cambs

That's surprising, as they're main dealers. I agree with the crowd though - the indicator has probably been set to fixed - not the sort of thing you'd expect from a main dealer who sees so many!

I had the same with a brand new VRS that requied a service after 9k (light came on at 8.9k saying 500 miles to go) my theory is that it was set to fixed service but the stealer said it needed a service.

If I was into conspericies I would say it's a good way for the stealers to generate extra services (allegedly, without prejudice etc)

This thing seems to be happening more often now as I've seen a couple of posts about it and it may be worth while collating all these posts as I for one wouldn't mind hearing from other members regarding this as I'm still debating whether to contact Skoda customer care

Definitely on fixed service.

Happened to mine - variable serviced at main dealer but they forgot to reset the indicator. When I pointed it out they took my key and came back 2 minutes later "all fixed!".

BUT they had reset it using the trip meter button method which sets it back to fixed - 9400miles. Luckily I picked this up and they reset it properly via the VAG-COM thingummy.

I bet the same has happened to yours.

Eccleshill you have hit the nail straight on the head but my problem was that the dealer would not accept my explination which was the same as yours - If this happens again which it will at 18800 miles what should I do let the dealer rob me again or a variable service or is it easy for some one on this board to detect and reset it with VAG Com. I was also wondering about buying VAG-com (thingyMK11 turboitchybum) is it east to use ?

Eccleshill you have hit the nail straight on the head but my problem was that the dealer would not accept my explination which was the same as yours - If this happens again which it will at 18800 miles what should I do let the dealer rob me again or a variable service or is it easy for some one on this board to detect and reset it with VAG Com. I was also wondering about buying VAG-com (thingyMK11 turboitchybum) is it east to use ?

Check your invoice to confirm that you are being charged for a variable service

Before you pay insist that you want to check the car over with him present

Take him out to your car

Switch on the ignition so the warning lights come on but don't start the engine

Press and hold the trip button for 3 seconds or so

The display will show miles remaining to next service

Immediately after a fixed service reset it will show 9400 miles.

If it does then ask why he has charged for a variable and done a fixed.

He then has 2 options - he either resets it properly or reduces the invoice charge to fixed (and next time you go somewhere else!!)

I've heard various stories about what the indicator should show after a variable service reset. After my 1 service mine showed 17200 miles and over the next few hundred miles climbed to 17800 before starting to fall roughly in line with mileage. Last time I checked was 4000 miles after the service and it showed 14,300 to go.

Did you get free servicing when you bought the car ? I only ask as I did with mine even though it was set to variable, when the first service came they serviced it and set it to fixed as thats the terms of the free servicing. Just a thought.

No free servicing on mine and it's not the first time it's happened (happened before on a different car - which one of the regular posters on here knows about)

Update I've just checked the car and it's showing the next service at 7900 miles - someone is having a bloody laugh - thieving scum stealers rant uncontrollable swearing etc etc

No free servicing on mine and it's not the first time it's happened (happened before on a different car - which one of the regular posters on here knows about)

Update I've just checked the car and it's showing the next service at 7900 miles - someone is having a bloody laugh - thieving scum stealers rant uncontrollable swearing etc etc

Trouble is, you have no idea what oil was used so cant risk reversing this without new oil and filter. Should be at their expense, as you didnt tell them to change it.

I've been on to them with the bill infront of me that quite clearly states long life oil - the car is only 5 months old FFS and the little xxxx of a service manager said I didn't know what I was talking about.The service spanner came on at 8900 miles with 500 miles to go indicating a fixed service interval of 9400 miles it is now saying I have 7900 miles to go after the car has done approx (serviced in december at about 9.8k)10k - I'm £170ish pound worse off I might just go into the dealers and help myself to whatever they have on display (matts roofbox etc). I will be naming and shaming these guys as they give Skoda a bad name for pulling stunts like this

I'm getting mad now can anyone in East mids have a look at it with VAG com - It's worth a crate of Stella to anyone that will help

Did you get free servicing when you bought the car ? I only ask as I did with mine even though it was set to variable, when the first service came they serviced it and set it to fixed as thats the terms of the free servicing. Just a thought.

No, I didn't get the first service free and the invoice clearly shows I was on variable - I've now spoken to the dealer you agree that the reset probably wasn't done and to pop it in to be reset - that's all very well, but they are a 120 mile round trip.

My neighbour who is a techinician at VW came around last night with the touch screen comptomoter and plugged it in and would you believe it the dash was set to fixed services allways had been. The comp said I had 18800 miles to the next service and something like 700 Days.

So the service manager of the establishment was talking out of his poo hole. Firstly the car was set up on fixed servicing and didn't need to be serviced at 9.5k like I told him (it should have been set on variable) and secondly it had not been reset to variable as he had told me. I'm contacting the dealer principal over this as I'm rather displeased at paying for a variable service at 9.5k when I didn't need to. As a family we have been loyal to this dealer and must have spent in excessive of over £100k on cars with them over the past 6 years and it is hard pill to swallow considering this is the second time this stunt has been pulled when I've bought new cars from them

I know people get rather passionate about such things (especially when money is involved) but if what you say is true and the dealer's actions are indeed that reckless or incompetent someone there may be committing fraud. If you've got documentation to prove the facts personally I'd take it to trading standards with a simple explanation of what's gone on and ask for advice/help.

Already thought of that Oli but it is very hard to proove. If I had Vag com plugged in before I had it serviced then I would have had a case but because the minmium for a variable is close to the fixed service interval it would be to hard to proove - although it must be pure coincidence that the spanner started flashing at 8900 miles with 500 miles to go which is exactly the same as the fixed interval. I've asked around and the lowest that anyone hase come accross on the engine (PD170) is 14/15k and that is accross the whole VAG group

I'm going to ring the dealer and speak to the owner who I have always dealt with but to be honest I think I know what the response will be

PS I still fancy walking in and relieving them of a roofbox but surely that would be theft ??