Coolant ratio for Felicia

Hey guys,

I'm planning on changing the thermostate on my brothers R reg 1.3 MPi Felicia tomorrow, but it appears he doesn't have the owner's manual.

Can anyone tell me the correct amount of Coolant to put in, and what ratio of anti-freeze and water I should use?

Thanks in advance!

I dont know the actual ratio but I just "best guess" and fill the res with water close to the max mark, stick some coolant in til it changes colour then top with more water.

I have the Halfords ready mixed pink stuff but I still dilute it with water.

No water, antifrees IS a combination of water and other elements, adding more water is diluting the antifreeze and making the engine prone to corrosion and lime deposit

Whatever you do, dont use 100% antifreeze, it will do more harm than good. Due to its greater porosity it can cause cavitation issues around the water pump

Trust me, Im a technician for a living. And it would cost twice as much

steve

well, all that are sold here are pre-mixed, i think is only logical to buy a concentrated and add the water, i mean, less cost in the container, and its stupid to move water from one country to another

When I did mine, I did a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

Took about 4.5 litres in total.

funny, mine took a little less than 2 gallons (us) ( 7.5 litres), of course i did a flush so it was from dry to the top, filled it revs the car a couple of times, and its still sitting in the same mark (exactly at full)

I`ve had to change my coolant today because i`ve got a leak. It`s the cylinder head gasket somewhere and it has not been giving problems with the engine. Just a little steam when stationary at traffic lights. Loss of water in expansion tank over a month but no discolouration of water in expansion tank tells me it`s only a minor leak ... i`ve topped it up to the lower marker on tank. Though someone will tell me different ... :(

Anyway ... Capacities, i`ve had a look in my Skoda Owners Manual and Haynes manual, it says 6 litres (approx.) Skoda Manual and the same in Haynes 6 ltrs.

Now daft as it might seem i`ve emptied the system and only got 5 litres out so i`ve tried to put the same back in and only managed to get in just over 4 litres. Now silly me put K-Seal in the anti-freeze mixture and for a 50/50 mix it`s 2.5 litres of the pink stuff. So plain old tap water only gets 1.6 or 1.7 litres.

I`ve read something about cavitation of anti-freeze if solution if too lean or 100% not at all. So now i`m worried ... :Yikes: :( :confused:

Do I try to run the engine and hope for the best, as it`s a Skoda and it rarely breaks down. :rofl: I feel that help will be on it`s way soon. :)

I`ve had to change my coolant today because i`ve got a leak. It`s the cylinder head gasket somewhere and it has not been giving problems with the engine. Just a little steam when stationary at traffic lights. Loss of water in expansion tank over a month but no discolouration of water in expansion tank tells me it`s only a minor leak ... i`ve topped it up to the lower marker on tank. Though someone will tell me different ... :(

Anyway ... Capacities, i`ve had a look in my Skoda Owners Manual and Haynes manual, it says 6 litres (approx.) Skoda Manual and the same in Haynes 6 ltrs.

Now daft as it might seem i`ve emptied the system and only got 5 litres out so i`ve tried to put the same back in and only managed to get in just over 4 litres. Now silly me put K-Seal in the anti-freeze mixture and for a 50/50 mix it`s 2.5 litres of the pink stuff. So plain old tap water only gets 1.6 or 1.7 litres.

I`ve read something about cavitation of anti-freeze if solution if too lean or 100% not at all. So now i`m worried ... :Yikes: :( :confused:

Do I try to run the engine and hope for the best, as it`s a Skoda and it rarely breaks down. :rofl: I feel that help will be on it`s way soon. :)

las time i did it was when i put creolina in mi system to clean it from the inside, the i atached everything, started filling the coolant (here is alredy mixed) i had to put in two gallons(us) (7+ liters) and it took it all but a little was left behind, like a liter and a half so i guess the manual is right.

when i put in the thermostat i had to put 1/2 a gallon in (witch i previously drained) and i found it more taxing cus i had to squeeze the hoses, accelerate a couple of times and top off, and wait till the bubbles come out :(

Yes KenO`Neill K-Seal is a sealant.

Well, i`m off to work on the bike today as i`ve been fettling with that for a week or so and it`s nice and sunny here ... for now ... :)

It`s really just to make sure everything is Ok with my Felicia. As when it`s gets cold and freezing I will chicken out and go to work in the car. ;)

Cheers Circlip