Octavia Dsg for a taxi up for it ? your opinion please

Hello ,I`m fairly new here.I have done a lot of reading via the search button.but I still have a lot of reservations,but some how still want the Octy Dsg.My questions are, as a taxi takes a bit of stick on a daily basis is this dsg up fo the constant stop starting all day long on short journeys in and out of city centres through traffic jams, I know these engines are renound for there reliabilty but is the DSG going to take the strain if say the car gets up to 200000 miles as my last two vehicles have one was a Cavalier 17 TD Isuzu did 245000. The other was a Vectra Di did 220000 .Both fantastic workhorses.I wpould really like an Auto it would make the job so much easier from what I have read here this is no ordinary Auto with the DSG but I am still very sceptical as I could not be doing with the vechicle off the road and the cost which I believe would be a lot of cash. Talk about a dilema .Your comments would be good on this please.Any fellow cab drivers or any body who knows any cab drivers would be great if you coul chime in.cheers

Thanks in advance.

Edited by delta 1646

My personal view would be no. I was pondering this very though not long ago as I keep cars for around 6 years and decided that the expense would be horriffic if it went wrong outside warranty.

There have not been many failures and they have been around a good few years but mega bucks if they go wrong.

I would stick with manual myself. A mate of mine's a cabbie and he currently has a Galaxy that was off the road for 3-4 weeks which cost him a fortune. Totally different fault of course but I'd probably plump with a manual just in case, as a courtesy car is of course no good to you as it's not licensed.

• 4 weeks later...

I am running an Octavia 2.0 PD tdi DSG as my taxi, Just bought it before Xmas so have 1 years warranty. I have to say, as the warranty is due to expire i will be getting rid of it just in case of failure. Even now low speed manouvering is a bit jerky when the box gets really hot so i dont think it will cope with huge tough mileages. Hope this helps.

Had three with DSG now and none have gone wrong. I'm in the car all day every day but not a taxi driver. I'd give it a whirl. Manuals are pants.

well, if you consider that audi is stating that the DSG has a lifetime as the rest of the car then i guess yes...

it is a very tiring job you have and i am sure it will help you...you can always sell it after 2 years...