First New Post-Octy's been NICKED!

NewbieVRS

Common sense would say just figure out which is worth more now. Remember though that when you come to sell the octy it'll show up that it's previously been stolen.

Just to go back a bit (I missed the argument about the keys last time). First of all no-one breaks into houses any more. Burglars now just wait 'til the middle of the night and try every house on the street. There'll always be one with the door open. Then they take whatever is nearest to the door which is usually keys. If some has actually smashed there way in then you've been extremely unlucky.

As for keeping the keys on you. That is generally a good idea. 99% of burglars haven't got large enough round bits to confront you. It's the other 1% you need to worry about. If they're stealing a car to order then they WILL do a proper job. They'll confront you with weapons, which nowadays usually means a knife. Not worth risking your life, even for a Skoda ;)

It's a case of weighing up the risks. I leave my keys on the stairs, out of reach of the letter box and my front door is locked 24-7.

The car now belongs to the insurance company, they have in effect paid you for it. It will go down as stolen recovered and put through auction. I guess you will now need to tell the insurance company that it has been found.

Any idea what sort of condition it's in? They told you whether it's been used for any other offences?

If it has, you might find yourself getting pulled in it an awful lot, as the registration will "ping" the ANPR in every single police car in the country!!

I'd get rid if I was you - you never know how badly they've treated it.

:thumbup: Big thumbs up to all who've helped here - I think I will keep the new car - apparently the old Octy had been used in a burglary "spree" in Gloucester during the night and the coppers wanted to make sure it wasn't ME who had done it! :confused:

It was only found by chance, as in the pursuit from one of the burglaries, it lost the fuzz in a cloud of dust!!! Ahem. :D

Yes, it does belong to the insurers now, who give us first refusal, but I think they can keep it.

So, anyone who wants an Octy for cheap should go to their local auction house now!

Once it is recovered the Police take it off their 'wanted' list.

Added to that that OP no longer owns the car I think he should be alright.;)

The police won't be looking for it as a "wanted" car because they know it has been recovered, but there will be an intelligence marker on it on the police national computer, so if a car with ANPR sees it a warning will come up on the screen saying something along the lines of "known to be involved in burglaries" - and inevitably the police will stop it.I get a lot of queries about this when people buy second hand cars and they are constantly getting stopped by the fuzz. They come to me complaining of police "harassment" and then when we enquire with the PNC we find out that the previous owner was a persistent drink-driver or regularly possessed drugs, and so the ANPR was showing "warning - drugs" or "warning - drink drive" all the time. The markers are attached to the vehicle, not the driver, because obviously ANPR can't tell who's behind the wheel. Something to watch for if you buy a car from someone who appears a little "sketchy" - you may be making a lot of new (uniformed) friends!!:D

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Just thought I'd let anyone who wants it know that the Insurance company or someone who's bought it at auction has put my octy up for sale!!! Reg no OV06 TZF. A bargaining chip might be that it says it has service history, but I actually have that in my cupboard since it wasn't requested by my insurers...

Autotrader.co.uk £8495 :D

Isnt the seller actually telling a little fib here, if you have the service history, how can they have it as well ?

Added - I have just mailed the car dealer expressing an interest & asked how he has the service history if you still have the originals. ;)

Edited by lfc958
addendum

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

A WARNING!!!!

Just phoned up the dealer on Autotrader to check how low he'd go to resell the Octy back to us & the guy is a LIAR and a CHEAT. :mad:

Here's the phone conversation:

Me: Just phoning up about the Octavia - what can you tell me?

Dealer: Yeh, it's a lovely car, HPI is all clean.

Me: So it's not been stolen or anything?

Dealer: No, no nothing like that. Had 1 owner (erm, interesting as I was the second owner and the insurance company is the THIRD owner). In fact I knew the guy.

Me: Hmm, interesting. So how do you know me then?

Dealer: Errrr....

He then proceeded to get very shirty and offish abouth the fact that he had just lied to me about every fact of the car (including the fact that it had been damaged in the police chase!!!) and said I should clear off! :rotz:

Well, that's him out of a sale - I was considering a bargain buy!

So buyers beware! Don't go near! Or if you fancy winding him up you can play the same game! I'm not recommending that btw :D