Alloy pitting... help!

wilsonian

I have an 07 Fabia vRS SE which at the time I stupidly paid the extra for the car care effort from horners. Now 18 months down the line and I've noticed I'm getting little black speckles on my alloys that wont budge for love nor money!

I was told at the time that this car care package (can't remember the name) covered the alloys and I wouldn't get it. Now I have 2 questions,

1, Was I lied to about the car care being able to protect the alloys (not really much I can do if I wasn't as horners are now belly up).

2, What is a good alloy wheel cleaner to remove these speckles?

The wheels are a particularly harsh area for any protection to survive. Brake dust is highly corosive and should be cleaned at least weekly to avoid pitting. The protection applied to the wheels will have lasted a substantially shorter period of time than that applied to the rest of the car, especially if you dont clean the wheels. The brake dust will eat into and therefore destroy the protection eventually.

If the speckles are tar spots, white spirit will shift them without effecting the lacquer. If it's brake dust pitting the wheels would need to be professionally polished. Alloys should be waxed frequently to protect the finish.

Claying? Whats that?

From the looks of it it's brake dust as I gave the wheels a good spray with some alloy cleaner and it didn't really budge it that much.

Think over the course of next week I'll remove the wheels and give them a proper good clean.

Can anyone recommend a good protection agent?

as said something like poorboys wheel sealent would be best once cleaned properly. as for wheel cleaner, somethign like megs wheel brightener opr wonder wheels are my fav but both are very agressive and should be diluted a lot if used regularly.

Claying? Whats that?

From the looks of it it's brake dust as I gave the wheels a good spray with some alloy cleaner and it didn't really budge it that much.

Think over the course of next week I'll remove the wheels and give them a proper good clean.

Can anyone recommend a good protection agent?

I would suggest you clay the wheels, that should bring the tar and any ground in dirt off, then ideall you need to use some AS Tardis or Megs Wheel Brightner to get the stubborn dirt off them.........

Protecting them, I wouldn't use Poorboys Wheel Sealant I would go for Jetseal 109 as it's brilliant on alloy wheels..........:thumbup:

Baker21 - is this something that comes with the group buy or can I add it to the list?

Also I'm still none the wiser on what "claying" is :S

AS Tardis you can only source through Autosmart only but clay, Megs Wheels Brightner and CG Jetseal 109 can be included..........

Let me just finalise some details.......

Here is some information on claying your car:

http://briskoda.net/styling-car-care/car-care-guide-how-clean-your-paint-preparation-polishing-protection/116126/#post1345542