Superb 2 VS Insignia

yes - i must admit the base of the superb seat is shorter than expected. Its fine for me as i am only 5ft4 !!! but i can imagin if you are tall then it woudl seam "out of proportion".

The VX seat had lumps and bumps in places that didnt suit me. I had the same issue with some of the audis as well - a pronounced lumbar shape that didnt fall in my lumbar !! ouch !

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone say the Insignia is good looking, am I the only person that thinks it's totally fugly. It looks bulbous and overgrown, like the designer just couldnt stop adding bits. I have seen one on the road and I couldnt beleive that this was the car that everyone was saying is great looking

True the Superb II looks like a old Megane saloon, but at least it's conservative.

coming from the man with a mk2 fabia......................

So buy the VX. If not, every time you see a VX you'll feel bad. It's my experience with my current company car. Four years ago I had to decide between the Peugeot 607 and the Volvo S60. My heart, wallet and gut told me the 607, my head the Volvo. I chose the Volvo, and after four years I must admit I was wrong.

To be honest, I think you made the right decision in selecting the S60. The 607 is widely regarded as a sales flop, at least outside of France. The 607's predecessor, the 605, was a far more attractive and accomplished car; a bit like an XM for sensible people!

Test them both and then see what your heart says.

Contrary to what people say Vaxhalls aren't bad cars I had the Astra (95 shape) which rocked.

I gotta say some of the Insigna features seem gimmicky.

It can read road signs - Thats what your eyes are for

i like the 607. never driven one - thats cos I couldnt find one to test drive anywhere !!!

I had a 405 back in 89, very bad car for reliability, but this had groundbreaking looks at the time, I chose it over a Cavalier Mk2 because it had an electric sunroof and because it was a sexy looker back then, it's plus points were it's image,handling,comfort and the XUD engine, sadly though it was a lemon of a motor, not just mine the service dept doesn't lie, and a queue of owners in the morning outside of it told the whole story, the drivers door didn't even fit properly when I picked it up, the bodyshop guy had to twist it to get it back to where it should be to flush fit, this has always put me off French cars full stop from then on, the 607 I just do not like the look of, it's ugly, the 605 however I thought was one elegant looking piece of kit but because of the past experience I never bought one, the list was endless.

8k - Front tyres gone on outside edge

17k - Steering Rack replaced

20k - Sunroof replaced

15k - Clutch replaced

25k - Hesitant coming out of corners

40k - Seat broke away from floor

79k - Gearbox exploded

3 central locking motors

Traded it back to the dealer and the guy who bought it from them had the engine blow six mths later.

i had two 405's and a 406. IN fact i sold the 406 and went back to the 405 as th seats in teh 406 were too saggy. Shame as it was a nice car - lovely cruiser and fully loaded. the HDi engine was better then the old TDi. I loved my 405's. They went forever and were great towcars. I guess i was lucky in that i didnt have any major problems with them.

Got a Superb 2 at the mo. It's the dogs bits. Sharp handling, enough space to park the Ark Royal inside it and over a week with climate control on, the 170 hp engine has only used half a tank of the black stuff even though it's DSG. What I wouldn't have is the cream leather, it's cr*p as it looks filthy seconds after you've sat in it. VX are loaning me an Insignia soon too, so I'll be able to make up my mind as to which is best. In three years, they'll both be worth about 50p anyway so it's probably better to hang on. I also read somewhere on here that the Insignia is to be recalled for airbag problems..?

. I also read somewhere on here that the Insignia is to be recalled for airbag problems..?

I wouldn't worry too much about that, that will be a faulty switch imo, but no doubt it'll be a good tool for the anti VX brigade to have a go at VX because of a 3rd party part and write the whole car down as a lemon :rolleyes: most VX problems are down to other firms, the most unreliable engine is the CDTI 4 pot which is infact a Fiat JTD unit, the recent fuel storm problem I believe is cheap fuel containing plastic particles, so it's a rock and a hard place really, you can have a car that blocks up and cuts out, or you can have a filter that allows contaminates through and mess a £2k pump up, either way VX is seen as the bad guy.

This afternoon I viewed an Insignia in a VX showroom and would make the following comments:-

1) It looks a handsome car in both saloon and hatchback variants.

2) The front seats are excellent and the lumbar placement suited my long back (I'm 1.85m/6"1' tall). The backrest is very shaped and I can imagine it not suiting those of less than average height. SRi seats get pull out seat base extenders which improve the already excellent seats fitted to lower spec models.

3) With the drivers seat in the position for my height the legroom behind (with me sitting on the back seat) was equivalent to my Octy, and far inferior to a Superb.

4) Still sitting in the rear, the steeply raked roofline reduces light into the rear making it feel a bit clautrophobic.

5) The quality of the leather covering the steering wheel is poor and feels very plasticky.

6) In the boot, the rear suspension encroaches meaning the part of the bootspace is uneven.

7) Judging by the size of the glovebox lid you'd expect a good internal size, however, the space available is very disappointing due to internal packaging.

8) The gearlever is tactile and a comfortable shape

9) It took me three attempts to close the drivers door properly. The door feels lighter than that fitted to a Superb which may mean it needs to harder pull/push to secure properly.

Would I have preferred a Insignia to a Superb? On balance, I think I'm happy with my choice of a Superb due to its less fussy interior, larger boot and air of higher quality. In addition, the Superb will be a far rarer sight than the Insignia.

Looked in depth at a new S2 today for the 1st time, a base model 1.9tdi model so no toys.

Lovely from the outside (it was white), great from the drivers seat (black cloth), good head & leg room but the biggest turn off (this is a work thing) was the HUGE tunnel running down the back passenger floor space. Punters get in & slide across (don't ask me why cos I never understand either lol) & I can see this being a right royal pain in the proverbial, especially at night with the dark carpet & seat covering & girlies/ladies don't like to sit with their legs wide open when they're in skirts for obvious reasons!

I know I run a Kia but right now I can't see myself in an S2, it simply doesn't do the job as well & that's nowt to do with price or badge snobbery just simple practicality as a cab. The only thing I can see to do the job as well as my Carens is a Ford S Max & they are considerably more expensive, I guess it's another 50k in a Kia for me then lol.

that's nowt to do with price or badge snobbery just simple practicality as a cab. The only thing I can see to do the job as well as my Carens is a Ford S Max & they are considerably more expensive, I guess it's another 50k in a Kia for me then lol.

I dont think anyone could accuse you of snobbery! I should imagine your skoda owning friends look down on you as it is!

:P

Mark, have you seen the plastic coating thread, it's where instead of painting panels they effectively shrink wrap them in a different colour, thought it might benefit you and the other local hacks as it's reversable once the car is no longer a cab.

http://www.astraownersnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=56955

Edited by Supurbia

I dont think anyone could accuse you of snobbery! I should imagine your skoda owning friends look down on you as it is!:P

As it happens most are genuinely surprised at the Carens, certainly those with Octys want 1 due to it's better 'functionality' as a cab, the only prob I face is poor mpg, can't get anywhere near the 38 my 3 Octys averaged, mind you a horrible nasty dpf has something to do with that!

I love the look of the S2, as a private motorist I'd have 1 tomorrow but not for me as a tool of my trade.

Thanks Supurbia for the link, there is 1 in Brighton already done, slightly different colour but the council allowed it as it ws the 1st to be done. £150 for bonnet & boot when I buy, let the dealer do it when I sell, not much in it for me & paint is easier to repair if need be!

Had a good look at an Insignia today in the dealers (while the Vectra was being booked in for the 3rd time to address the oil leak), and I must say I'm totally underwhelmed. Certainly won't be on my shopping list next year.

I have checked both the Insignia and new Toyota Avensis, but no. The insigna is indeed a great looking car, but the space in the back seat was BAD. The Avensis has a decent interior, but it really UGLY. The previous Avensis looked much better.

I have checked both the Insignia and new Toyota Avensis, but no. The insigna is indeed a great looking car, but the space in the back seat was BAD. The Avensis has a decent interior, but it really UGLY. The previous Avensis looked much better.

Sadly it's the one thing VX do wrong is to not consider the comfort of the rear passenger, time and again they've done this, my theory is they aim at a market that involves one guy carrying a lot of stuff rather than 4 ppl going on a trip.

Agreed Superbia, the D-class Vauxhalls have always been a sales-rep machine, right from the Mk1 Cavalier. Hell, they're even geared more for motorway use than any other car in the segment I've driven.

I can't believe you feel you chose wrong, I'd have an S60 over any Pug any day of the week, Volvo's are fine lookers and stylish inside.

I'm with you there. S60 vs 607 is not really a contest. I must admit the 607 was a looker in it's day - and still has that "Hmmmm, that's nice" look to it but in all other respects it's in a different league to the S60. Yes, I'm a biased S60 driver - but I have owned 3 Pugs and the last one put me off 'em forever.

are all you lot 7ft tall or something, i had a play with an insignia on saturday whilst in the dealers and i had the front seat back to far for me to drive and i had a few inches between my knees and the back of the seat when sat in the back.

also the insignia looked a million miles better than the superb in every way!! loved it, but a drive of both would be a good idea if i was interested.

are all you lot 7ft tall or something, i had a play with an insignia on saturday whilst in the dealers and i had the front seat back to far for me to drive and i had a few inches between my knees and the back of the seat when sat in the back.

also the insignia looked a million miles better than the superb in every way!! loved it, but a drive of both would be a good idea if i was interested.

As I believe in honest opinion I found this yesterday and I think it stinks, no matter how large heavy the driver may be this is unacceptable imo....

Its the seat bolster that I'm on about btw.

I'm 6'2" and drove the Insignia at a pre launch day at Millbrook last year.

My thoughts; The Insignia is by far the better looking car (nb NEEDS big wheels to achieve that look), the drive left me cold and the interior quality is far inferior from that achieved in the Superb.

I thought the rear legroom was laughable, in fact completely unacceptable in a car of that size. I showed the Insignia product manager the legroom in the back with the seating position I needed, he didn't really know what to say but acknowledged that interior packaging had been compromised to achieve great looks.

The Superb is also better equipped and more competitively priced.

So for me with 3 rapidly growing kids the Insignia was out of the equation, each to their own though!

Dan