Looking for tyres. Pls advise

Nos

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for tyres for my superb. At the moment I have pirelli p6000 225/45/17.

I'm not into sports driving and superb is not that type of car so I'm looking for quiet, comfortable and long lasting tyres.

My current choices are Falken fk452 and Hankook Ventus V12. They are about the same price and I've read good reviews about them.

Also should I stick with 225/45 or can I go for 215/45 or other types?

Thank you

I'm running on OE Michelins at the moment and I have to say I'm impressed with them, I expected them to be pants.

They do loose grip when pressed hard on greasy roads, but hey - what tyre doesn't? They're wearing well too.

I've always favoured the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 but I think they've discontinued that - so I'm afraid I'm stumped!

I'm happy with the OE Michelin Premacy too, 225/45x17 - a quiet tyre. :thumbup:

If you want to change the tyre width, then really you should also change the profile - depends on how much you want to change it. However 225/45 to 215/45 is OK.

This link is really handy for anyone who wants to change tyre sizes, especially if changing wheel sizes too.

TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator

cheers

Edited by sidewaze samm

I have got the Hankook Ventus V12 fitted all round on my Golf and I am really impressed with them, done about 5000 miles on them usually on wet roads.

The Hankook V12 got some really good write ups in the German car press but they don't get much press here in the UK.

I think most major brands will fit your requirements, but if price is your major consideration, throw away the 17in rims and get 16in ones. It'll pay for itself within 4 tyre changes :eek:, and then there is the saving on fuel and the comfort factor.

I prefer 16in wheels anyway, since they offer more comfort and lower fuel consumption, with similar handling (and I know a little about handling at speed :))

One thing to think of is that the Superb's heavy, and requires inflating dangerously close to tyre manufacturer's recommended pressure. E.g for my 2.5TDI V6, for full load, the rear is supposed to be inflated right up to limit pressure for most Pirelli tyres. I prefer to have at least 25% margin on pressure, so it is best to buy reinforced tyres for Superb. Many brands are now reinforced as standard.

[quote name=Bluefox;1573071

They do loose grip when pressed hard on greasy roads' date=' but hey - what tyre doesn't?

[/quote]

Nokians NRH / NRV / Z G2 don't :)

I like Nokians because they're quieter, offer better handling in the wet/mud/snow/ice than the Michelins and Pirellis, last just as long, and are usually cheaper (20%-40 to Michelins). They're also reinforced in 16in guise

Thank you all for replays.

I think I'll go for Falkens 205/50/17 as these probably will give me a bit more comfort and economy. I've found out that they are reinforced.

Cannot source Nokians in here.

Michelins and Goodyear are quiet expensive.

Nokians NRH / NRV / Z G2 don't :)

I like Nokians because they're quieter, offer better handling in the wet/mud/snow/ice than the Michelins and Pirellis, last just as long, and are usually cheaper (20%-40 to Michelins). They're also reinforced in 16in guise

Ooh, interesting... thanks for the tip :thumbup:

I had michelins to start with and found they had little grip in the wet and did not last 20k.

i've got kumho extra load fitted now..... loads of grip wet or dry and seem to be lasting a whole lot better.... a snip at £60 each fitted at lou's tyres in scunthorpe

Good news.

Ordered my tyres Friday afternoon from camskill on got them this morning. I'm really impressed as it usually takes a week to get anything from UK to Ireland.

So fitted on new tyres and what a huge diference even though I only did 200miles. Tyres are quiter and also the ride is a bit softer. So far so good. Will see how long are they going to last.