Traction control - 1.8T

XP3NNY

Hi guys,

This may be a silly questions for some of you, but I'm not that technical when it comes to car so any help will be appreciated.

I have 02 Superb 1.8T without traction control and I'd like to get one retro fitted if possible. I never felt that I need it, but since I had my car re-mapped I would do with TC.

Do you know if it is possible to retro-fit TC and if it is, what is the cost?

Thanks

Really? I thought all Superbs had ASR at least.

This is something I could never understand when I had a 1.8T, I believe its the second most powerful engine in a Superb at 150 bhp and I would imagine the lightest engine with it being all alloy, no wieght on front tyres an alot of power ment they would spin in the slightest damp even when trying to be gentle!

I have got to say my 1.9TDi has ASR and it is probably the smoothest traction control I have had on a car, the last car I had TC on was a Vectra SRi and that would just cut the engine out completely and then give you full power again so you would end up Kangerooing down the road looking an idiot.

This is something I could never understand when I had a 1.8T, I believe its the second most powerful engine in a Superb at 150 bhp and I would imagine the lightest engine with it being all alloy, no wieght on front tyres an alot of power ment they would spin in the slightest damp even when trying to be gentle!

I have got to say my 1.9TDi has ASR and it is probably the smoothest traction control I have had on a car, the last car I had TC on was a Vectra SRi and that would just cut the engine out completely and then give you full power again so you would end up Kangerooing down the road looking an idiot.

Oh yes. The 2.2 Vec I had was like that and it wasn't switchable :mad::mad:

Anyway, :+1: for the Superb's TC, it's very good.

What do you want traction control for? It is a waste of time imho, it just cuts the power and you end up jerking your way out of the junction instead.

I prefer the good old fashioned traction control that is my right foot!

I just feel you have more control with the foot than traction control, just practice it a bit!

What do you want traction control for? It is a waste of time imho, it just cuts the power and you end up jerking your way out of the junction instead.

Couldn't disagree more, in my Superb it cuts in (on the rare occasion i loose traction) really smoothly.

Maybe I am too aggressive with it or something, I also find that when it cuts in, it is reluctant to come off again, unless you back out of the power and start again, I find this especially when traction is lost over bumps...

Or maybe mine isnt working right, but either way I would rather be without it, but that is just my taste.

Couldn't disagree more, in my Superb it cuts in (on the rare occasion i loose traction) really smoothly.

Yep, I agree. I find it very forgiving... although I do take Duffelcoat's comment about the system kicking in over bumps.

There's a dip in the road on the exit of one of the roundabouts on the A45 which catches me out every day. I'm not quite sure how I forget about it so often. Must be getting old.

Curse it! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbup:

I'm not that 'heavy foot' drive, but since I had my car re-mapped it's a bit 'uncontrollable' when accelerating. 1st gear is nightmare regardless road, 2nd gear is much better but still spins through and on the wet road it spins through the 3rd gear when accelerating hard.

Temporary fix for this is to get one person on the passenger seat, just to add a bit of weight :-)

No doubt that Skoda / VW done this car for exact 150bhp as anything above it's not so safe.

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbup:

I'm not that 'heavy foot' drive, but since I had my car re-mapped it's a bit 'uncontrollable' when accelerating. 1st gear is nightmare regardless road, 2nd gear is much better but still spins through and on the wet road it spins through the 3rd gear when accelerating hard.

Temporary fix for this is to get one person on the passenger seat, just to add a bit of weight :-)

No doubt that Skoda / VW done this car for exact 150bhp as anything above it's not so safe.

If you're spinning in third you need to fit some better tyres...

Even a remapped 20vT won't produce as much torque as (I think) a standard 130bhp 1.9/140bhp 2.0 derv or (certainly) a remapped one, and I've not heard any issues from other users.

Yes, they have traction control (usually) but still, spinning in third would cause their TC to work overtime.