zeniths

If you use a pressure washer to wash your car (and your wheels) then I have found that water gets behind the plastic nut covers and pushes them off just enough to make them slack. I have not lost a cover yet cause I make a point of pushing them all in after washing.

Or... someone could be helping themselves right enough!!.

Ive lost a couple from my car, as has my brother on his! When I questioned the dealer, as they were a really loose fit, could pull them off with my finger tips, I got told "weve never had this problem before, nobody else has every complained!" (Rainworth Skoda, Mansfield)

They changed their mind when I pointed out that the car in their showroom was also missing three, despite their claims that the car hadnt been PDI checked, I simply pointed out that they werent all missing the same type!

I got mine replaced FOC, but must admit I am now a bit obsessed with checking they are tight.

Tip, Get the dealer to check they are the right ones, as apparently they all have different part numbers (not just the obvious difference of one being for the locking nuts and one not) and fit differently to the corresponding nuts!

I've lost one so far, keep noticing that the ones on my locking wheel nuts seem to be the slackest, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Tis very annoying having to check them everytime I wash it (which is quite often given the colour of my car! :rolleyes: ) and also annoying that I've had to fork out for a new one. Ah well

Mine are really quite tight - had a bit of a job to get them off last time I had to change the wheel (much easier if you have a pair of pliers handy

Why not just use the little removal tool supplied in the spare wheel tool kit?

There should be small black plastic tongs to pull the caps off with. They are designed to grip the lip on the side of the caps.

Why not just use the little removal tool supplied in the spare wheel tool kit?

There should be small black plastic tongs to pull the caps off with. They are designed to grip the lip on the side of the caps.

I don't have this tool :( What I do have (which I'm assuming is included for the same purpose) is a small piece of metal, shaped like a letter "P", with a bend in one end. You can sort of hook this in at the back of the cap and pull it off - tongs would be much better though.

When your car was PDI'd they have basically put the wrong tool in your car, mine was the same.

The metal "letter P" piece is for removing the nut caps from a different model. I bought the correct tool from my local VW garage was about 50p, I will post up the part number when I get home, saves trying to mess about with pliers.

Edit: Part number is 8D0 012 244A.

cheers peter! Car is in the garage today actually so I'll see if they've got one in stock when I go back today. Come to think of it, the tool I've currently got would be far more useful for getting the hub caps of the wife's Leon, which have two tiny holes on the front, but no cut-out for levering. Suddenly it all makes sense! :D

oops just lost anther one off the locking wheel nut again, got three from lincoln.Super glued them on this time might be a pig to get of though.

Oh no... I think I will buy a pack of blue tack today just in case some of mine disappear!!