Turning Fog Lamps

I doubt very much if they are illegal in that form as new Mercs/BMW's/Skoda superb et all have them from the factory and they have to be made road legal for each market they are sold in.

Steve

As I have Stu's old car, and the link is to his website, my car aready has them enabled.

They aren't all that effective on the vRS. I noticed them when I bought the car as the headlamps were pointing skywards, but with the alignment fixed, I only see them when reflected off a car in front or similar. Seeing as front fogs are so rarely needed for fog, it might be worth me realigning the fogs more to the sides.

One of the overseas videos someone posted of the facelifted Octavia showed, at the end when the car come to a stop turning, a cornering light on. I guess the feature might be standard on the facelift, maybe if the lamps are more geared up for it.

The highway code says that you can only use fog lights (front or back) when visibility is poor, less than 100m from memory. This may not be the case in other countries, hence the feature that is disabled in the UK to comply with the law.

So, do the mod but plod would have every right to pull you should you be spotted!

Steve

Then how come Mercs, BMWs etc have this feature as standard these days? Surely the type approval covers this on these models?????????

Mike

Cheers Mike for the PM.

Anyway I'm sure I saw this on a smaller car the other day. Plus my mates range rover has this facility as well! And he hasn't done any tweaking!

The highway code says that you can only use fog lights (front or back) when visibility is poor, less than 100m from memory. This may not be the case in other countries, hence the feature that is disabled in the UK to comply with the law.

So, do the mod but plod would have every right to pull you should you be spotted!

Steve

From Hella who supply cornering lights..

Legal Situation for Additive Cornering Light

■ As of April 6' date=' 2005, the new ECE regulation 119 will become

effective throughout Europe. This regulation describes the

permissibility of the additive cornering light in conjunction with

dipped beam. The product DynaView Evo2 has been tested in

accordance with ECE regulation 119 (Cornering Light) and

ECE regulation 19 (Fog Lights). Hella documents this with the

type approval number on the bottom of the lens for the light.

E1 Approving country (Germany, KBA)

B 02 Approval for fog light in accordance with ECE regulation 19;

modification series 02

K 00 Approval for cornering light in accordance with ECE regulation 119;

modification series 00

1951 Number of approval in accordance with ECE

SAE FK 04 Approval for fog light in accordance with SAE for USA

TNK 110 Approval for cornering light in accordance with SAE for USA

■ Additive cornering light is approved in conjunction with dipped beam

■ The lights for additive cornering light shine to one side, to the left

or right into the bend, depending on the direction of the bend.

■ The additive cornering light is activated by actuation of the indicator

or automatically by independent electronics when cornering.

■ The ECE regulation allows operation of the additive cornering

light up to a speed of 40 km/h.

■ In addition, the additive cornering light is activated when reversing.

■ Activation of the cornering light takes place abruptly; it is dimmed

when switching off.

■ The lights are also approved as fog lights, in which case both

lights are activated separately via a switch.[/quote']

iirc also, vrsstu did say that models from 2007 onwards could be done but sadly my car (may07) didnt.

Well mines 56 but a MY2007, so not sure if mine would be compatible. Hoping that cos its an old L&K it might have the correct controller!

Imagine the cost of sorting out if the tweaking went wrong on a Range Rover..............:thumbup:

Plus people who usually have them, rarely ever tweak it themselves! He barely washes his, let a long tweaking it!

Bummer...how can you tell? I know there is a specific controller..but how do I check if I have one that is compatible?

Enabling Cornering Light Function | Octavia-VRS.com

Currently I have only tested this on the Central Electronics Controller 3C0 937 049 AJ so you will need to identify the controller you have fitted to you car.
iirc also, vrsstu did say that models from 2007 onwards could be done but sadly my car (may07) didnt.

No your answer is above.

:) It seems I started something here.

My car is a August 07 VRS with Xenon lamps, Maxidot, Jumbo box, All round Electric Windows, Columbus DVD, Parking sensors, Cruise control...

I don't know all the in's and out's but I asked Nilash at Autotronics in Leicester to turn some things on for me, Turning Fogs, (deactivated in reverse by the way) and the left hand rear fog. there are other things to be turned on but I need to look into them.

Who cares if they are against the law, they are only on for short periods when at a junction with the steering turned or indicating or in a car park and yes they are not active above about 15mph.

:cool:TURN THEM ON:cool:

That would be illegal as you are using fog lights when visibility is not impaired.

So, why?

Steve

Just to second Steve's comments:

"The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (Reg. 27) 1989 prohibits the misuse of any lamp fitted to a motor vehicle.

The Highway Code also advises against fog lights except in times of serious loss of vision due to adverse weather."

?????????????????????

If there's was no fog, heavy spray or snow that poses any restriction to the vision of the driver or inhibited other road users from seeing your vehicle you may well be committing an offence having fogs on whilst in motion.

I am no legal expert but having fogs on when cornering certainly seems to tick the box in: "Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility."

It certainly would not stop someone stopping you and reporting you for the potential offence. If a trained officer arrives and he finds out that your car turns fogs on automatically he may even certify your car unfit for use on the road and serve you a notice to that effect. If that happens you can't drive away.

Seen it and know people that have been done for it. I certainly wouldn't recommend chancing it.

I'm no legal expert, my best guess is that they aren't classified or certified as "fog lights". Perhaps the wattage is lower, it's a different bulb type or it's to do with angle/focus?

Either way every online resource and book currently reads the same e.g.: 226-237: Driving in adverse weather conditions : Directgov - Travel and transport

The law (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989) simply states:

Front Fogs: Manner of use prohibited

(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(B) Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

© Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

I'd say call VOSA and ask http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011257 your local VIC might be able to help too: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/MotoringContacts/DG_069953, also the VCA http://www.vca.gov.uk

Just a quick update post some research: Fog lights post 01.04.1986 have to have an approval mark/stamp on them (Reg 4/5, Motor Vehicles (Designation of Approval Marks) Regulations 1979). My best guess is that the newer "cornering lights" are approved/stamped differently and therefore recognised differently in UK law.

Okay bigger update: UNECE Reg 119 is the type certification regulations for "Cornering Lamps". A full copy is here: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r119e.pdf . Short of it seems to be what I mentioned above "cornering lights" are approved and marked as such. Front fog lights are marked up as "fogs", from what I read if your front fog units have an approval mark that effectively says "fog" then it's a fog light, if it has an approval marking as a "cornering" then it is a cornering light. I don't know if newer lamp units can be approved and bear both "fog" and "cornering" markings. (see page 15 of that PDF for an example)

Car lamps are as far as I know stamped with approval marks that set their status in law.

I take it from the regulations in the PDF above that you can retrofit an approved kit and/or legally use a car that was manufactured as such; however if you have items that are marked as "fog lights" and then switch them on as cornering lights you'd qualify as using fog lights illegally.

Again... usual provisio I'm NOT a legal expert this is just educated opinion. The traffic guys, police, VSA etc that can read and understand the bulbs and reflectors on your car and would know way better than me.

Edited by Oli
did a bit more research

Been out to checked mine outside as I was curious. The left front fog on mine is marked "Valec B E9 02 4002" (E9 is circled). To me the "B" means that they are front fog lights. It looks to me that cornering units should be marked with an additional "K" next to the E number.

Reg19: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r019r4e.pdf

Reg 119: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r119e.pdf

Anyone got factory fitted cornering lights on a car (doesn't have to be Skoda) and able to read off the certification stamp to confirm?

26954.attach

Edited by Oli