Turning Fog Lamps

Why is it that everytime a thread about foglights or Aftermarket Xenons starts people start jumping on the band wagon about the legality issue. We all know that aftermarket xenons are in the purest sense illegal. but as long as they are not dazzling then i dont see the problem and the police certainly saw no problem with mine. As for the Foglight issue yes again we all know you are not supposed to use them when visibility is not impared due to heavy rain/snow/fog. However to use them as a cornering light function IS NOT ILLEGAL. if it was then every new merc/bmw/skoda/vw/ford/vauxhall/renault that has this function as an OEM product (including police cars which ive seen with it!!!) are driving the uk roads illegally. They also use the exact same bulbs etc as the foglights (generally H3) no special mechanism etc its just within the ECU to tell it to come on (sometimes at a dimmer level and iirc you can do this with VCDS to the skoda ones) when the car is below a certain speed and the indicator is on. Next thing everyone is going to start complaining about Adaptive cornering lights because they potentially dazzle people sat at junctions when turning into that junction.

People we are all entitled to an opinion but please do not try and force it down everyone elses throats. Some things are more important in life than a set of foglights

Thankyou :)

Carl:thumbup:

Edited by Mater

Mater: if you read my post you'd see that I dug up the certification for fog lamps and cornering lamps and pointed out what in my opinion is the difference. I think the main issue is that there's doubt and lots of opinions and worries.

My post is just there to help people - I'm looking into it as I want to find out if I can do this mod legally to my own car. I'm certainly not going to do mods to my own car that I know or think might be illegal and take my car on the road. :)

Seeing as I've not seen anyone answer this definitively (or post the 19/119 specifications) I rather thought the information might be of use. Either way I'll have a chat if I have time with VOSA tomorrow and their policy department and report my findings and see if my thoughts are right or wrong. If I can find a definitive "it's fine to do it" then brilliant, if the reply I get is "that's definitely illegal" then at least folks can make an informed choice.

That way there'll be a definitive answer about things and people can make a decision based on some facts. ;)

I'm a very sad bugger currently studying some semi related law topics at work as part of a course I'm on, so technicalities like this interest me. I like to know where I stand and why. I'll post on here whatever I find that's of use.

Edited by Oli

I have enabled them on SWMBO's MY08 vRS and I wouldn't do it if I thought there was the risk of her getting pulled over.

IMO one fog light fading on and off at low speed at a junction or similar is not the same as these clowns who drive round with BOTH fog lights on all the time.

As has already been said several times, the new facelfit Octavia has the feature enabled along with dozens of other makes and models that have been on the road for several years now.

As long as it isn't dangerous then I really don't see what the problem is. I would do this mod 100 times over fitting a set of aftermarket xenons.

If people want to find out about type approval and the like that is also fine and will contribute toward being able to make an educated decision about opting for such mods.

People routinely drive around with no tax, MOT or insurance and I hope the police would be more interested in them than a car with cornering lamps enabled.

Twin rear foglights is another grey area, from what I remember a few people queried the legality of such a mod, most new cars come with one rear foglight nowadays but I think its safer to have both enabled if the option is available.

All IMO of course :o

Didn't check to see if they were available in maxi-dot, i'll have a look tomorrow.

I think its unlikely that the police will 'tug' someone for it because quite a few cars have them nowadays.

@ Oli & anyone else. Apologies if my previous post offended anybody as that wasn't my intention. :thumbup:

I understand how people are only posting up there opinions etc. It is one of the great things about this forum and all help is appreciated. I just wish that every time a thread like this started people would not just jump on the legal issue band wagon. Especially for something that is done OEM by a lot of modern cars. As i said 1 fog light being used as a cornering light is not illegal. The fog lights are exactly the same in the cars that do it when you buy the car. The function is only enabled through the correct controller in the ECU and not a special light unit. If they are illegal then most new cars on the road are being driven illegally (including police cars)

Again apologies if i upset or offended anybody:thumbup:

Carl:thumbup:

Just been out and checked and it wasn't in any of the maxi dot menus. Seeing as its a safety feature rather than convenience it might not be prudent to have the ability to switch it off.

• 8 months later...
The new Octavia has seperate driving lights incorperated within the foglight, with a seperate lamp.

I've noticed these but, although I have tried lots of different switch combinations, I have yet to get them to switch on. Does anyone know when they light up?

I've had them enabled and subsequently had them disabled on my vRS. I saw no benefit whatsoever when I had them enabled, and from comments of someone else when I was following them, they were more confusing and distracting than beneficial.

I can see the point of active headlamps which turn to illuminate the side of the road when you are cornering, and would find that feature far more useful than cornering foglamps.

Just my opinion :)

The lamps on the pre FL vRS aren't suitable for the cornering function IMO.

The standard foglamps on my L&K give a wider beam pattern and offer improved kerbside visibility when manouvering, when I tried them on SWMBO's vRS you couldn't tell that they were working from inside the car.

They activate with the steering all the time but the indicator function *should* override this eg if you have your left indicator on but apply some right hand lock at a roundabout for example the left cornering fog lamp will stay on until the indicator is cancelled and the right lamp will not activate. The 40kph limit applies to both modes too.

IIRC there are a few options in VCDS that control what triggers the cornering lamps.

I've had them enabled and subsequently had them disabled on my vRS. I saw no benefit whatsoever when I had them enabled, and from comments of someone else when I was following them, they were more confusing and distracting than beneficial.

I can see the point of active headlamps which turn to illuminate the side of the road when you are cornering, and would find that feature far more useful than cornering foglamps.

Just my opinion :)

Agreed - mate at work has a Leon FR (09 plate) and this came with them enabled. Confused the hell out of all of us and we thought it was a fault at first till I did some Googling. We don't see the point in them to be honest and with them coming on and off when negotiating turns at low speeds they're more than likely to be seen as a fault/ annoying by other drivers than anything beneficial....IMO anyway. Turns your car into a mobile disco ball. Cool but weird.