Octy vs Passat

i bought my car from out side my country so our local dealer refused to work on it

Hopefully someone with more knowledge about manufacturers warranties will be able shed some light on the warranty situation in different countries.

Edited by jamesmckelvie

I have driven the 1.6 Passat and it is VERY slow and struggles on hills. The engine really struggles to pull what is actually quiet a big heavy car, as a result its fuel consumption is far worse than the octy.

The passat I had as a rental also had its problems, not least was a rattling dash which annoyed me to death and the very iffy electronic handbrake that had a mind of its own and wouldnt release when it was supposed to leading to constant stalling.

I had a 2005 2.0 fsi passat highline before and believe me i did not have a day without it's troubles. It does have a cracking dashboard and suspension too. Passat's plastic quality is better but that does not save tha day. If i had to chose between it and the RS sure i'd go for the octavia.

This may not be a consideration for you, but if bootspace is of any importance, I'd go for the Octavia. Not only is it bigger than the Passat (I was surprised by how small my mate's Passat boot is), because the Octavia is a hatchback, it's also much easier to get big items in and out, as opposed to the Passat that has a relatively small bootlid.

:confused:

Today I drove the Passat of curse it is more smoother and no cracking at all may be for the current time only but the Octavia has better handling and stability may be for the sport suspension so friends shall I go for bmw 316 entry level it will be the same price

1.6 passat couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. the 1.9 tdi struggles.

Creaking dash - it's probably the glovebox. Dealers can never replicate the problem, and plead deafness when you take them out in it. Their only "fix" is to line the glove box opehning with foam strips. feck dat! Easy fix is some ptfe spray on the hinges. Apparently. I've yet to find some ptfe spray.....

Plastic quality - is shocking IMHO. It actually feels cheaper than the Mk1 Fabia. Hard and brittle.

Handbrake - doesn't release unless you put clutch ALL the way in......and sometimes take two or three presses to engage. Neither of which suits my driving style......

Rear suspension knocks and bangs like nothing I've ever experienced. No explaination yet......

And the onboard service indicator is a basket case.......four days ago, it came on saying service in 2300 miles........so i booked in for a service next Friday, as i've got serious mileage to do the next month.

This morning, service indicator bongs "SERVICE NOW"......after 120 miles........crazy.

Stupid electronics....

That said, it is a comfortable cruiser.

:confused:

Today I drove the Passat of curse it is more smoother and no cracking at all may be for the current time only but the Octavia has better handling and stability may be for the sport suspension so friends shall I go for bmw 316 entry level it will be the same price

If you have never driven an RWD car before then you may have issues with the way the car handles, and also find the 3 series gearbox very clunky and notchy. Once you get used to it its ok though. The 1.8 engine in the 3 series is ok, if you can afford it get a 1.8 or 2.0 as they are much better. A basic model 316 will have very little in the way of creature comforts that you may take for granted in the octavia. With BMW everything is an optional extra, so dont expect Electric Windows, A/C, A CD player, Computer and other things unless they were specced when the car you look at was new.

Having driven both an Octi, the Passat and a poverty spec E90 I would either pick the Octi or the E90, but there's more.

The E90 is terribly small compared to the Octi, and some of the features are really primitive. Plus, no room in the back and boot. The Passat is better, IMO, but you need at least 140ponies to pull it along nicely, or else you'll be struggling. BUT the dash plastic feels incredibly cheap, hard and shiny, and the dash styling I find dubious, at best.

Indeed that e-brake is not their best effort, keeps not engaging, or doesn't want to disengage unless I force it by running the car along with it locked for a couple meters. Once had to change the diesel pump in the tank too, sorted on warranty, thankfully.

When I test drove the Passat, Octy and A4 2 years ago I rated the quality in the order:

A4

Octy

Passat

I've been in a colleagues Passat since, and I was right. Interior nice and creaky. The boot on the Passat is no larger than the Octy either (Octy larger under the cover). Passat uses more fuel (its heavier), and the rear passenger space is a bit larger.

Just read the last couple of posts about the Passat handbrake....... Argh.... Avoid. Colleagues packed up.

I wouldn't change from my Octy to a Passat.