time for a new battery

Following two flat batteries on our 1.9 PD130 we've been advised by the local Skoda dealer that the battery is on its way out.

Looking at the Halfords website, they're suggesting either an OE spec normal 096 or a "calcium" 096 for about a fiver more. There's an extra year warranty too.

Anyone got any experience of either of these batteries?

Dont know what Halford batteries are like but I do know there bloody expensive. ring around you small car parts suppliers, got a battery with a 3 year warrantee for the wifes car at just over half the price of a Halfords battery.

Quality wise they're just fine, price wise they are an absolute rip-off though.

I have used Halfords a few times though, mainly as they have a full range in stock and I had some vouchers from work. They also tend to have most variations in stock :)

Dont know what Halford batteries are like but I do know there bloody expensive. ring around you small car parts suppliers, got a battery with a 3 year warrantee for the wifes car at just over half the price of a Halfords battery.

They're currently made by Varta, and yes the 096 is the correct listing for a 1.9 TDi.

We've sold the calcium batteries for some time now and they're rarely problematic, although yes they are expensive. If you've got a trade card they're worth it, but other than that it's only the 4 year warranty and the convenience of us being open 364 days a year.

I've only ever bought them on trade though...

There is an excellent step by step walk through guide with photo's on WeirdLittleBiscuit

(the Passat is the same as the Superb).

It is very tight to remove the battery, but any competent DIYer should be able to do it, whilst it is removed, follow the rest of the walk through and remove the two rubber bungs in the plenum chamber to prevent the water ingress issues these cars suffer from.

For those who need size110 battery (most 2.5TDI/2.8 V6 crowd), there is a new sealed, maintenance free unit manufactured by Exide, Exide Premium, part number EA852. Fully sealed, 85Ah / 800CCA and judging by my previouse Exide, will be good for at least 6 years. No idea where to get it yet - has anyone seen it?

For 096 battery Exide XP07 would be my best bet, most fitters who sell Exide have them.

I find Varta batteries disappointing - or perhaps it is just the OEM Varta supplies that end up in Skodas... They don't quite die, but very quickly achieve state where during cranking the voltage falls to very low values - there must be internal resistance build-up. And they drink water a lot.

For those who need size110 battery (most 2.5TDI/2.8 V6 crowd), there is a new sealed, maintenance free unit manufactured by Exide, Exide Premium, part number EA852. Fully sealed, 85Ah / 800CCA and judging by my previouse Exide, will be good for at least 6 years. No idea where to get it yet - has anyone seen it?

For 096 battery Exide XP07 would be my best bet, most fitters who sell Exide have them.

I find Varta batteries disappointing - or perhaps it is just the OEM Varta supplies that end up in Skodas... They don't quite die, but very quickly achieve state where during cranking the voltage falls to very low values - there must be internal resistance build-up. And they drink water a lot.

Who deals with Exide these days? I've not seen Exide batteries for years.

Well, I say that, I mean other than the random local independents. Is there a national "chain"?

Who deals with Exide these days? I've not seen Exide batteries for years.

Well, I say that, I mean other than the random local independents. Is there a national "chain"?

You may find this link useful.

Exide Technologies

But I cant see any UK distributors on their site.

Edited by johannapam1

• 2 years later...

2 years on, an update: I actually have Exide EA852 in my Superb (2.5TDI, size 110 battery) and it is very good - just like the last Exide I had in the Octavia.

I noticed also that Exide now make an AGM battery in 110 size - anyone had experience with these and diesel engine?

It's double the price of EA852 without obvious benefits, in fact it is lower capacity for the same size.

AGM (Advanced glass matrix) batteries are not good value for money.

I bought a Varta for my friend's diesel Octavia for about £60 from ECP which was fair value. It's a slightly smaller 9 plate battery than the one specified for the B5.5 though.

Cold cranking amps is a bit of vague specification with wide differences between DIN and SAE ratings. Use a minimum of 72 Ahr for a 4 cyl diesel but make sure the battery has 11 plates per cell and not 9. This gives it a sufficiently low internal resistance to crank properly when cold. You may have to do a bit of detective work to find out - I put an axe through an old Varta and counted them...

rotodiesel.

GSF £75 - £80 and VW recommend a battery after 4 years anyway, you should make sure you don't have a drain, an aftermarket stereo will do this, remedy is to fit a toggle switch on the PL live wire and turn it off when you leave the car, or switched live but you need the key in all the time for that.

One thing to point out, Halfords now push Varta batteries (or is that Bosch?), anyway, it now seems that Varta and Bosch are the same company as you can see if you compare their newer batteries. If you have access to a Costco card then you can get a shortened range of Bosch batteries there for a good price.