MPG with new tyres

Hello

Before I had my new tyres fitted I used to average 52mpg but now with the Continental sports I will be lucky to average 47mpg. :cool:

Is it normal for the mpg to change so drastically?

If you've changed from a hard compound tyre to a soft compound tyre then yes, certainly.

I saw a 10% mpg increase even changing from goodyear eagle f1s to continental sports... am half tempted to go back to hankook ventus v12 evos which were fantastic for fuel economy :)

I know I've crossed over from the Mk1 area, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I run 225, 45 17s and noticed a big difference between Conti Sport Contacts and Goodyear eagle F1 Assymetrics. The Contis averaged 35-37mpg and the Goodyears now return 31mpg if I'm lucky. Also I went from 205 50 17s up to the 225s, which will be a contributing factor. If I'd known all this then the replacements would have been the same tyre, or at least the same manufacturer.

However, the Goodyears are a much safer tyre all round.

I found the Eagle F1-A to be bad for fuel economy too, had them on my diesel Astra. Compared to the Vredestein Ultrac I replaced, the Goodyears lost me 3-5mpg.

I'm running Goodyear NCT5 on the Vectra on the back, and recently replaced the fronts with Turanza ER300. Lost just under 1mpg on average, but gained the ability to move and change direction in the wet! :lol: The Er300 is a good tyre for motorway use, not as downright grippy as the Potenza RE050, but better fuel economy, still had the neat steering feel and handling, but should be good for 30-40k on the front.

I know I've crossed over from the Mk1 area, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I run 225, 45 17s and noticed a big difference between Conti Sport Contacts and Goodyear eagle F1 Assymetrics. The Contis averaged 35-37mpg and the Goodyears now return 31mpg if I'm lucky.

Made the same change myself last July on my MkII VRS. Mileage has gone down from anywhere between 34 and 37 mpg to 31 or 32 mpg. Anybody know if Michelins ar particularly good or bad on the mileage front?

Info - std Vrs tdi estate

Just changed the front tyres from Michelin Pilot Primacy at 32,000 on which I was averaging 47 to 50mpg on the same daily journey. Now got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and I am averaging 42 to 44 mpg. In both cases I usually keep the tyre pressures at 34 psi. The guy who changed them over said that I would be lucky to get 18,000 miles out of the dunlops.

Wet and dry grip seems better with the Dunlops....not by a massive margin. They just don't seem to scramble for grip as much at take off. However, increasing the fuel bill by 10% and lasting about half the life of the Michelins, actually makes the Dunlop a more expensive tyre.

Info - std Vrs tdi estate

Just changed the front tyres from Michelin Pilot Primacy at 32,000 on which I was averaging 47 to 50mpg on the same daily journey. Now got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and I am averaging 42 to 44 mpg. In both cases I usually keep the tyre pressures at 34 psi. The guy who changed them over said that I would be lucky to get 18,000 miles out of the dunlops.

Wet and dry grip seems better with the Dunlops....not by a massive margin. They just don't seem to scramble for grip as much at take off. However, increasing the fuel bill by 10% and lasting about half the life of the Michelins, actually makes the Dunlop a more expensive tyre.

I got 22,000 out of my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx front tyres and still had 2.5mm left. The rears are at 5mm still. So Im really happy with the life span, just could do with a little less road noise!