Halting Alloy Wheel Lacquer Delamination

Niall

Your dealer is trying it on!

I had two Scout alloy's replaced under warranty - no charge at all.

If you were having a different component changed under warranty as a result of a manufacturing defect would you expect to pay for the labour to fit it?

Tell them to go swivel!

Edited by silver1011

My "new" wheels are delaminating, though the car is nearly out of warranty and a few of the many small blemishes have marks on them indicating stone strikes. Makes me think getting a full set FOC again is unlikely.....

I just can't believe the model most likely to see a few stones has the most fragile finish! Will probably just run these until they look too scrappy/annoy me then replace with something else 17" OEM.

I prefer unfussy (read easier to clean) wheels. Pegasus'?

202823595-w500.jpg

Or Dolomite's from a Yeti?

CCH630002.jpg

Certainly not getting Proteus' again, even if it changes the look of the car.

Niall

• 1 month later...

My "new" wheels are delaminating, though the car is nearly out of warranty and a few of the many small blemishes have marks on them indicating stone strikes. Makes me think getting a full set FOC again is unlikely.....

I just can't believe the model most likely to see a few stones has the most fragile finish! Will probably just run these until they look too scrappy/annoy me then replace with something else 17" OEM.

I prefer unfussy (read easier to clean) wheels. Pegasus'?

202823595-w500.jpg

Or Dolomite's from a Yeti?

CCH630002.jpg

Certainly not getting Proteus' again, even if it changes the look of the car.

Niall

Has anyone tried getting them to change for different wheels i.e not the Proteus or is it going to be a purely one for one swap ?

Has anyone tried getting them to change for different wheels i.e not the Proteus or is it going to be a purely one for one swap ?

I'll let you know how I get on. Going into bat over the coming fortnight when I'm next passing the dealers....

I'll let you know how I get on. Going into bat over the coming fortnight when I'm next passing the dealers....

Would be intersting to know...3 of mine are suffering with de-lam probs, am sure the 4th won't be too far behind.

I've had exactly the same on all 4 wheels of my 08 Scout - small areas of delamination. All were replaced (3 at first, then the 4th) UNDER WARRANTY with no quibbles at all by Delmore Cars in Inverness.

Interesting to note that there are lots of examples of this with Scouts...

• Like 1

I've had exactly the same on all 4 wheels of my 08 Scout - small areas of delamination. All were replaced (3 at first, then the 4th) UNDER WARRANTY with no quibbles at all by Delmore Cars in Inverness.

Interesting to note that there are lots of examples of this with Scouts...

Be more interesting to note if all had a case for wheel replacement post warranty expiry. Surely the wheels must be built fit for purpose, expected to last a reasonable amount of time etc... I would hate to think that I'd get all 4 wheels replaced now and in 2 years time after maybe lets say another 20k the replacement wheels have the same problem and then have to foot a big bill.

My last car, a 51 plate Focus had no issues with it's OE alloys right up to when I sold it with around 70k on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Popped into dealer yesterday, booked in on Monday to get 3 wheels replaced FOC under warranty (again!).

No dice with changing to a different type, even if I wanted to pay a contribution. The service dept guy suggested the only long term solution once out of warranty (600 miles) was to get them shot blasted and powder coated with a "normal" rather than polished finish. Still a £300 evolution mind.

He also stated that any warranty on warrantable items, irrespective of when fitted, expire with the main warranty so these new alloys will likely be out of warranty in a fortnight.

Niall

Popped into dealer yesterday, booked in on Monday to get 3 wheels replaced FOC under warranty (again!).

No dice with changing to a different type, even if I wanted to pay a contribution. The service dept guy suggested the only long term solution once out of warranty (600 miles) was to get them shot blasted and powder coated with a "normal" rather than polished finish. Still a £300 evolution mind.

He also stated that any warranty on warrantable items, irrespective of when fitted, expire with the main warranty so these new alloys will likely be out of warranty in a fortnight.

Niall

Anyone using a decent set of after markets ?

Niall

Surely that is bobbins.

All parts carry a guarantee - maybe not 3 years but a reasonable length of time.

Steve

Surely that is bobbins.

All parts carry a guarantee - maybe not 3 years but a reasonable length of time.

Steve

What the dealer has stated is correct. The warranty on the wheels expires with the main vehicle warranty, and not a period of time from wheel replacement. Only parts replaced where there has been some monies chaning hands (eg. part payment, good will etc.) are covered by 12 months warranty. Its exactly the same, if you return say a toaster because its faulty, the warranty runs from date of initial purchase and not replacement.

Correct me if I am wrong but the only polished surface on my Scout alloys is the flat outer facing surface of each spoke.

The leading edges of the spokes and the outer rims are what I would call the normal silver surface finish as per traditional alloy wheels.

The corrosion on my wheels starts from where the rim touches the tyre, it then spreads inwards as the decay or delamination spreads.

This would suggest to me that it is not the polished effect of the Proteus wheels that is at fault as this isn't where the corrosion is (at least on my wheels)?

Its a real shame, I love the shine you get from a polished Proteus. Against the black paint on my Scout it looks great!

Come on Skoda, fix this known fault so that we're not forever replacing / refurbishing them! :doh:

This would suggest to me that it is not the polished effect of the Proteus wheels that is at fault as this isn't where the corrosion is (at least on my wheels)?

I take it back. I was wrong.

I've just taken another look at my wheels and the polished surface extends down each spoke and around the rim :giggle:

If my wheels go the same way after the warranty expires and I have to get them refurbished I might ask if they can paint the outer rims but leave the spokes polished?

What the dealer has stated is correct. The warranty on the wheels expires with the main vehicle warranty, and not a period of time from wheel replacement. Only parts replaced where there has been some monies chaning hands (eg. part payment, good will etc.) are covered by 12 months warranty. Its exactly the same, if you return say a toaster because its faulty, the warranty runs from date of initial purchase and not replacement.

True.....BUT, the replacement must be fit for the purpose it was intended so realistically replacing something thats failing with something else that's liable to fail again to get to a point until warranty runs out ain't really fixing the issue :thumbup:

True.....BUT, the replacement must be fit for the purpose it was intended so realistically replacing something thats failing with something else that's liable to fail again to get to a point until warranty runs out ain't really fixing the issue :thumbup:

But a wheel with cosmetic blemishes hasn't failed and is still fit for its primary purpose of allowing movement of the vehicle.

But a wheel with cosmetic blemishes hasn't failed and is still fit for its primary purpose of allowing movement of the vehicle.

Then all wheels could then be primmer coated steel pressed wheels.

Alloy wheels have form and function, both of which are the reason we spend more to have these nice shiny bits of metal on each corner.

Steve

Would you say the same if your body work paint started flaking on your car? (the vehicle will still move :thumbup: )

My comment was more aimed at the general replacement of parts in warranty and the attitude of tough when that warranty finishes.......replace dud parts with more rubbish till warranty end is achieved.

Was going to say exactly the same. You'd be really unhappy if the paintwork started to peel away, however it wouldn't stop the car from carrying out it's primary function i.e getting you from A to B, but how many people would accept that !!

Taking mine in on Sat to see if I can something done, still under warranty but due a service now so hopefully will get them both done at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Correct me if I am wrong but the only polished surface on my Scout alloys is the flat outer facing surface of each spoke.

The leading edges of the spokes and the outer rims are what I would call the normal silver surface finish as per traditional alloy wheels.

The corrosion on my wheels starts from where the rim touches the tyre, it then spreads inwards as the decay or delamination spreads.

Its a real shame, I love the shine you get from a polished Proteus. Against the black paint on my Scout it looks great!

Come on Skoda, fix this known fault so that we're not forever replacing / refurbishing them! :doh:

Purchased my Scout in January 2008 - just six months old

When I washed the car I noticed slight marks round the rims adjacent to the tyres

I thought it was some sealant put on by previous owner.

After a further six months I examined the marks more closely and decided it was corrosion underneath the laquer which had spread even further. Off to the dealer.

He took photographs and submitted a warranty claim to Skoda

In due course the wheels were changed over with existing tyres fitted free of charge.

However by the 3rd anniversary of the warranty I noticed the corrosion had appeared again. I contacted my dealer who again submitted photographs to Skoda.

Skoda stated that the wheels had been subjected to misuse and wouldn't offer any replacement.

I have taken a further two year extended warranty before the original expired.

I've looked at the wheels today after the weelky(ish) wash and they are getting worse. You can see the corrosion from my lounge window a good 6 yards from the car!

After reading the forum I'm making a further visit to the dealer tomorrow - not very hopeful - but need to stop the corrosion spreading

Any ideas?

Edited by ColinH

It's the polished effect that's the weakness. Stupidly this effect continues to the rim of the tyre where the vast majority of the corrosion begins. Try having the tyres changed then see how quickly it spreads!

If Skoda won't replace them for a second time have the alloys professionally repaired but have the rims painted, just leave the spoke faces polished.

Skoda to my knowledge haven't changed or improved the quality of the finish so replacing them will only see the problem reoccur.

If I was you I'd be kicking up a fuss, if Skoda acknowledged the fault the first time (as they have with a lot of other Scout owners, myself included) and the symptoms are the same this time then they should be replacing them FOC again.