DPF Regeneration Woes - Skoda Assistance really helped

That sounds like the 26E6 Remap and fitting of modified Exhaust gas pressure sensor that has been in circulation since June/July 2008. It one of those mods that Skoda do on a 'if it aint' broke, don't fix it basis'.

My advice, for what its worth; If you have a VRS TDI registered before June/July 2008 get it down to your dealer for the 26E6 remap to be done ASAP (if it hasn't been done already) and save yourself a whole load of hassle later.

This only applies to VRS though?

Ha, had the 26E6 update and new sensor fitted today. 15miles later the light is back on! Even more annoying, it was having an off day before it went to the garage.

As a note, had the DPF light come on once while in a traffic jam on the M5, hence went in to limp home mode. Home was 160miles, but 40miles on limp home mode (once traffic got moving) and all lights went off, back to full power. Anyone else experienced this?

If you get the software updated will it prevent the sensor from going faulty or are the two linked ?

The two are linked. When you get the 26E6 remap done you have a modified and uprated sensor fitted at the same time.

Not a peep of a problem with mine in 9,000 miles since being done. What seems to happen is that you get a softer and slightly more frequent background regeneration i.e. no warning lights on, plus a stronger low rev/off boost pull from the engine. Makes driving in town easier and softens the all or nothing effect of power delivery up to 2,000 rpm.

More can be read here;- http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/vrs-pd-170-engine-management-software-disk-part/120394/

• 2 weeks later...

An addition to my entry above. Having had the 26E6 update and new sensor, the exhaust light came on after leaving the dealer and driving 15miles (of dual carriageway).

Have not had time to get back to skoda yet, however this week the dpf light came on. The car only does journeys of 30+miles at a time, mainly on dual carriageway and A-roads.

Have done all the recommendations as above on the regeneration process, including an 80mile steady cruise, so guess the filter's properly clogged.

Better things to do with my time than drive around at 2000-3200rpm on pointless journeys. Thinking about talking to dealer about swapping into a petrol vrs.

In the meantime I guess I'll wait for the limp-mode to kick in so I have a legitimate reason to call out Skoda Assist.

An addition to my entry above. Having had the 26E6 update and new sensor, the exhaust light came on after leaving the dealer and driving 15miles (of dual carriageway).

Have not had time to get back to skoda yet, however this week the dpf light came on. The car only does journeys of 30+miles at a time, mainly on dual carriageway and A-roads.

Have done all the recommendations as above on the regeneration process, including an 80mile steady cruise, so guess the filter's properly clogged.

Better things to do with my time than drive around at 2000-3200rpm on pointless journeys. Thinking about talking to dealer about swapping into a petrol vrs.

In the meantime I guess I'll wait for the limp-mode to kick in so I have a legitimate reason to call out Skoda Assist.

I presume your exhaust/DPF warning light is still on, so;-

If you haven't got time to go to your Skoda dealer, initially at any rate, then at least call out Skoda Assistance to check your car out. Here is a copy of a post I did a little under a year ago about my experience with them;-

"Phew; all sorted. :thumbup:;)

RAC man came out this morning (spot on time); interesting to know that he only works on VAG cars for Skoda/Audi/VW/SEAT assist, so gets to know what's what.

He then connected up his diagnostic computer and found a 'fault code' against the Exhaust gas pressure sensor and then a code for DPF fault and a message of 'manual regeneration required' do Road Test.

Off we went, computer still connected, showing DPF 54% full (of soot). I followed his instructions (similar to those in the handbook) to drive at 1,800 to 2,000 rpm in either 4th or 5th gears. Fortunately I have a good steady 40mph road (1,800rpm in 4th) for a couple of miles when I can then get onto the A1(M) where I settled at 1,900 rpm in 5th = 57/58mph; handily set with cruise control.We travelled about 10 miles up the Mway and watched the diagnostic progressively showing DPF % full being reduced. When it got to about 10% the DPF warning light went off (emissions light still on) and continued all the way down to 0% that neatly coincided with a junction that I could exit at and return back on the Mway.

In turning around, and with regeneration complete, the % full of soot started to build up again, but back on the Mway and with cruise reset it built up a bit more and then started regeneration, when the % full then went back down and got to around 1% by the time we got back home. Once stopped the RAC man checked the DPF was OK, reset the emissions light and we turned off the engine. Restarted it just to check and all was OK. Job done! :thumbup: Phew.

The main points that came out of this is that;-

1) I only ran the car for about 2 miles yesterday with the emission and DPF lights on before, today, going off and doing a 'regeneration run',

2) it is critical to follow the 1,800 - 2,000rpm in 4th or 5th gear procedure to allow the regeneration to operate properly, anything different is ineffective, and

3) from discussion, it is very useful to the overall 'health' of the DPF and car to try and incorporate a spell of driving in 'regeneration mode', as 2) above, from time to time to clean the DPF before it needs to be cleaned.

I'm mightily relieved after all this, much comforted that I now know how to deal with the dreaded DPF warning light and have breathed a big sigh of relief that I don't have a more serious problem (touch wood). ;)"

All this sounds very familiar!

Last Wednesday, M6 @ Coventry, Engine became hesitant and then DPF light comes on.

Tried the regeneration routine. (I am a good boy and had read the Skoda Handbook!)

No good, Glow Plug illuminated and into limp mode.

Skoda contacted and RAC come out. Plugs in VAG Com and DPF 27% blocked.

Drive down M6 for two junctions. Back up another four junctions and he could not get it less than 5.9% blocked but performance had been restored.

Off I go to Cambridge but on M11 same again.

RAC out again and found same faults. This time 26% blocked.

They spoke to Skoda technicians and after investigation came the dreaded words........

Recovery required!

So on a low loader back to Carlisle and it's still in with the dealer with much scratching of heads.

Hope I get it back soon, Iv'e been given a Zafira Elite to run around in....Yak!

Thanks CJ, me too!!!

The guy from Skoda Assistance said that he'd never had a repeat visit to a customer with a DPF light - education is a powerful tool!!!

We aim to please :thumbup: :thumbup:

When having any sort of issue with your skoda, PLEASE PLEASE ask for the man in the SILVER T5 van. We ALL have VAS and more importantly carry the G450 pressure sensor that takes about 15mins to fit and then we do an emergency regeneration to cure the whole issue.

Generally we will do our utmost to get to the root of the issue. We get targeted on customer satisfaction and overall fix rate NOT how many punters we see each day.:)

Just remember, the future really is bright......Bright Silver :D;)

Is this a twist of fate or what? Anyway had ordered a boot liner for the estate which i picked up on Friday intending to do a trip down to the South to see family, whilst at the parts shop, asked about the DPF update to which i was told that if i'd never had the problem then no to worry about it, he then took the chasis number of the vehicle and upon checking the car needed two updates, one being quite old which was something to do with Global........? and also the DPF.As a result the car was booked in to get both matters sorted this coming Tuesday.Well guess what i drove home and the bloody DPF light came on! how ironic is that, didn't want to use the car to drive 400miles so decided to leave it at home and use the Mrs car instead!!Stroll on Tuesday.

Just got back from the dealer and work carried out on recalls 26E6 which i knew about and also 28E1(have no idea what that one is) but anyway car is running great.

Last week I called out Skoda Assist to check the exhaust sensor and dpf lights. The only error he got was the exhaust sensor (replaced 1 month ago). Unfortunately he couldn't tell me if the DPF was clogged, although it wasn't registering an error.

So, booked the car in to Skoda closest to work. Was supposed to drop the car off this evening and collect a courtesy car, however drove out the work car park to the screeching sound of stone against disc (familiar to me now as this is the second time in 2months). Eventually cleared the stone without having to call out Skoda Assist, but too late to get to Skoda in time to drop the car off, so it continues with the lights on (DPF has been on for about 3 weeks now, is that a record)

Anybody else prone to stone trapping episodes?

Oh and also checked the oil the other day, only to find the engine trim had come loose again despite being fixed when the exhaust sensor and 26E6 update were done.

Bad times.

Anybody else prone to stone trapping episodes?

Only once so far - smallish piece of gravel trapped between the disk and the inside cover on the rear driver's side wheel. Every now and then it would squeal like the bejesus, then it would shift and be silent (until the next time it moved). Have heard of several others had it happen too.

So, to be clear, if you get the exhaust pressure sensor problem showing up, it's likely to be linked to DPF issues as well then ? I had two fixes of the exhaust pressure sensor on my previous 2.0 TDi Octy, both under warranty so I wasn't fussed but nobody said anything about the DPF issue.

I'm not convinced the two are usually linked.

Before I had my original exhaust pressure sensor replaced, I had a handful of times with the DPF coming on and managed to clear them each time (including going in to limp-home mode on one occasion). I think the exhaust pressure sensor light was on each time as it hardly ever went off.

This latest episode is the first time the DPF light has been on since the exhaust pressure sensor update and despite all recommended efforts, I cannot clear the light. However, I have driven in excess of 1000miles with the DPF light on and so far have not had any loss of performance. Therefore I am wondering if the DPF is OK, but the light won't clear because of the exhaust pressure sensor error.

Alternatively, the nature of my commute allows me to drive at DPF regeneration revs, so maybe I'm just keeping it shy of blocking up enough to go into limp-home mode.

Rebooked to go to the stealers in a weeks time so looking forward to a bit more information from them.

Can the cover be removed, negating the problem and improving brake cooling?

It (gravel caught) doesn't happen that often, is easy to fix (5 minutes tops), and I am assuming the designers put the cover there for a reason (certainly not cosmetic), so I'm not taking mine off just yet.

Hi Guys

I'm getting my first diesel Vrs (gone for the limited edition) due in 3 weeks i currently drive a 3 yr old petrol version on 12.500miles (which i feel guilty selling) and drive mainly A roads and the odd Motorway drive, am i right in thinking that as soon as the DPF light comes on i need to take it for a run up the motorway?

Hi Guys

I'm getting my first diesel Vrs (gone for the limited edition) due in 3 weeks i currently drive a 3 yr old petrol version on 12.500miles (which i feel guilty selling) and drive mainly A roads and the odd Motorway drive, am i right in thinking that as soon as the DPF light comes on i need to take it for a run up the motorway?

Motorway not necessary; simply use 1,800 to 2,000 rpm in 4th or 5th gears to clear the light.

However; don't get paranoid about this. I've had my vRS TDI for just on two years and 34,000 miles now and have never (in regular motoring) had the DPF light on. The DPF light has only come on once in two year as a result of a faulty exhaust gas pressure sensor (now modified and upgraded by VAG).

Good luck and enjoy the tsunami of TDI torque :D;)

Motorway not necessary; simply use 1,800 to 2,000 rpm in 4th or 5th gears to clear the light.

However; don't get paranoid about this. I've had my vRS TDI for just on two years and 34,000 miles now and have never (in regular motoring) had the DPF light on. The DPF light has only come on once in two year as a result of a faulty exhaust gas pressure sensor (now modified and upgraded by VAG).

Good luck and enjoy the tsunami of TDI torque :D;)

Same here, around 58K kilometers and - although I could sometimes hear the DPF regenerating - no lights ever on (finger crossed) :cool:

Besides, since feeding with 2T oil in 1:200 ratio regenerations are less frequent and less noisy, too! Yesterday the computer showed 0.5lt/hours while the car was idling and I was stuck in a queue:thumbup: