Fabia VRS CAT question?

mod_boy

Hi all,

How many CATs does the fabia VRS have?

The reason i ask is because i wouldnt mind a deCAT but if there is only one obviously my car wont pass the MOT emission test. I was hopeing there was 2 and i could replace one of them like i have done on a swift. Havn't had the VRS long so dont know too much about it yet as the weather aint been the best.

People who have had a straight pipe fabd in place of the CAT...what do you do when it comes to an MOT??

Should make do difference to MPG or performance. However the car has a VNT Turbo, and the exhaust system will be tuned for a certain amount of back pressure. People do run de-cat with no issues, but I would say the chance of turbo damage is there.

I have removed my CAT but retained a back box and the sound I would say is nigh on perfect.

Quiet when cruising but loud when giving it some above 3k.

I have a stage one remap and boost gauge and have not noticed anything untoward.

Has anybody had any problems with there turbo if they have a deCat?

The thing is if a Turbo fails some time after a de-cat, was it the de-cat that caused it, or just general failure. Almost impossible to tell. There's a whole host of stuff about de-cats and turbo cars, and they differ depending on if it's a diesel or petrol engine. There is exhaust scavenging to consider and that very much depends on what size pipe is used to make the new exhaust.

Environmental issues aside, a de-cat on a diesel is a good idea, provided the custom pipe work is the right diameter.

Discovering if a modification causes a problem is never easy. Well that is if it's not something like a wide angle blind spot mirror I fitted last week, which decided to fall off when I washed the car yesterday :rofl:

• 4 months later...

hi all,i have just put the blue flame decat pipe and cat back system on my fabia vrs.is is well worth it and is slight burble till 2500rpm then it starts to sound like a golf vr6! ps,i have forge dumpvalve on two years and with exhaust sounds and drives amazing.it does reduse turbo lag slightly.hardly any smoke of it ether.1st mot next month aswell.hope this helps

hi all,i have just put the blue flame decat pipe and cat back system on my fabia vrs.is is well worth it and is slight burble till 2500rpm then it starts to sound like a golf vr6! ps,i have forge dumpvalve on two years and with exhaust sounds and drives amazing.it does reduse turbo lag slightly.hardly any smoke of it ether.1st mot next month aswell.hope this helps

Please elaborate?

All a dump valve does on a diesel is **** away a tiny bit of valuable boost so it sounds like a duck is under your bonnet - they do NOTHING to improve performance

it has a control box that has a adjustment screw for time it stays open.i have mine on the minimum.i disagree having driven it without one for about a year.i honestly would say it works ok with decat system.the forge valve has no rubber seals to break,just a alloy ball with interchangble springs.

ps,still get 55mpg average and 45mpg driving flat out locally!

also,the blueflame cat back system only fits blueflames front pipes!!

Ok, but myself and many others (if not everyone) will tell you a dumpvalve has no benefit at all in diesel engine. Without going techinal, it's not actually possible for it provide and benefit.

Back to the de-cats, I've been running one for about 18months now and had no problems at all. It's had 2 MOT's with it and it's not even been questioned, only commented on and asking if it improved the sound!