Has anyone tried using VCDS on a new facelift Octavia?

octavialover

Hi,

Picked up my new 09 plate octavia last week:D, but have been having problems connecting VCDS to remove seat belt chime/activate both rear fogs/activate single click unlock all doors. I have an official Micro Can usb key from Ross-tech, but when trying to access either control module 09 or 17, it pops up with a message saying unable to open/contact controller.

I thought it might be my Micro Can lead, but tried it on a mates 07 plate and everything seems fine.

I did ask the dealer to do the above using their VAS computer or whatever it is called but they said it could not be done. Was not sure if they were just making excuses, so I thought fine not a prob I will do it myself.

Anyone have any idea as to what might be the problem.

Thanks guys.

I am using VCDS 805.3 version, and yes I can run a full autoscan, again, when it comes to 09 and 17 controllers, it just says unable to contact controller.

I saw the beta release, will download that tonight and try that, and will report back if that solves the problem.

Cheers.

Hi,

Downloaded the beta version and tried again, but still cant access 09 or 17, and some other controllers. Have run an autoscan, and some message regarding ASAM, comes up:confused:, I have no idea what this is. I know that the o/s/f sidelight has blown, not sure if this is causing the issue, will change the bulb tomorrow and try again.

Can anyone help regarding this? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Log-LG09CJJ-795.txt

Lets start from the beginning and shed some lights on some of these things mentioned here. :)

I have an official Micro Can usb key from Ross-tech, but when trying to access either control module 09 or 17, it pops up with a message saying unable to open/contact controller.

Based on the Auto-Scan you attached onto a later post both modules are accessible, are you saying that you cannot reach those modules when trying to access them directly via VCDS > SELECT > 17 - INSTRUMENTS for example?

I thought it might be my Micro Can lead, but tried it on a mates 07 plate and everything seems fine.

The #09 should be accessible no matter what while #17 uses a new protocol on this model. Technically this should be supported by 812.4 with the Micro-CANs already but I have to admit I didn't test that 1st hand.

Downloaded the beta version and tried again, but still cant access 09 or 17, and some other controllers.

Could you give me a step by step guide what buttons you are clicking and what the exact error message is you are getting? Once we have confirmed that I'll try to reproduce the problem and then we may be able to fix that ASAP.

Have run an autoscan, and some message regarding ASAM, comes up:confused:, I have no idea what this is.

The Octavia Facelift uses a new diagnostic protocol (ASAM/ODX/UDS) for some of its control modules, specifically those are #08, #17 and #25. Other than before to actually be able to read fault codes from those modules and get live data you need something like a dictionary file. The ASAM Dataset is basically the identifier for that dictionary file and under ROD should normally be the actual file name. We are working on adding those as soon as possible but there is still a lot being changed here and there regarding the new stuff so please be patient with us. :)

Hi All,

Thanks everyone, I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it all again - and hey presto we have success!:thumbup: The seatbelt chime is no more:D

The only problem left is that I can't seem to access 46 - central convenience.

I do the following steps:

>Select control module

>46 Central convenience

But then I get a message stating "no response from controller"

Any idea as to why I cannot get a response from this controller? ignition is on, and my Microcan lead is connected properly. If I run the Autoscan again, it still says "cannot be reached".

Any further info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

With the facelift there have also been various changes to the vehicle electronics, one of them was the new body control module which combines the functions of the central electronics and the former comfort control module. The last is still listed in the gateway installation list for compatibility reasons but the new body control module doesn't communicate under that address anymore. Therefor the "no response" message is normal and nothing to be worried about. Future VCDS versions may suppress the error message in the Auto-Scan.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you read the book?

"Activate function daylight driving lights

– Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel up to 3 seconds after switching on the ignition and at the same time, slide it to the top and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds." :P

Of course I have read the book. According to it, there are 2 ways of activating DRL, one as xxleeus said, the other using maxi-dot. The procedure with turn signal lever doesn't work and the maxi-dot does not have this option.

I know from other romanian guys, they also got the car without DRL activated and it was activated later by the dealer using their VAS software. After that, an option in maxi-dot appear and it can be used to activate-deactivate DRL.

I also can go to the dealer to fix this free of charge (as I have paid for DRL option), but I just want to do it myself.

I hope next VCDS beta will have the Central Electronics documented and I will be able to activate the DRL myself.

Until then, if anyone has access to VAS and could share what bytes and how do I have to modify, I will highly appreciate.

Later edit:

09-Central Electronics -> Byte 15, bit 6 set, bit 7 set.

This make a new option in maxi-dot for activate/deactivate DRL.

I found out by asking somebody with DRL activated by the dealer, to share his coding. Then I have compared the codings and modified one by one the bytes that was different.

Edited by chr
I found out

• 2 months later...

The Octavia Facelift uses a new diagnostic protocol (ASAM/ODX/UDS) for some of its control modules, specifically those are #08, #17 and #25. Other than before to actually be able to read fault codes from those modules and get live data you need something like a dictionary file. The ASAM Dataset is basically the identifier for that dictionary file and under ROD should normally be the actual file name. We are working on adding those as soon as possible but there is still a lot being changed here and there regarding the new stuff so please be patient with us. :)

Any news?

I've had a similar issue on my Mk6 Golf, in that module 46 is scanned but it cannot communicate, module 09 is fine but no helpers available for the long coding so with out knowing what to change etc it's very risky to touch anything.

If anyone knows what may or may not now be altered within Central Electrics please post here.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What changes are you looking for?

Address 46 is only virtual, which means it is listed in the gateway installation list but cannot be accessed via diagnostics. The reason for that is simple, the functionality has been integrated into the new style Body Control Module (BCM) which answers under address 09.

There are a few things which I was hoping to enable, which others have done on similar models.

1. Enable ararm chirp on open/close

2. Enable anti-hijack (actually managed to do this one)

3. See if the mirrors could fold on locking with the remote as per Leon/Superb

4. Change the coming home light to automatic instead of manual, as per MK5 Golf