Project minter gti

Monkey Boy

Just caught up on this again; realised I hadn't visited since February :o

Absolutely awesome, looks superb and the attention to detail is just spot on B)

Steve

It was the car andy as i have loads of bills from St Helens. Small world lol.

Changed the steering wheel now for a 300mm OMP after they sent the correct boss second time around.

P1010178.jpg

Removed the exhaust centre section to flare the end so it would go over the larger diameter 4 branch. All connected and no blowing.

Mounts made for tweeters just need to run cables and mount the crossovers.

Cat 2 should be fitted this week then i can start to put the trim panels back in place and finish the front speakers.

Still need to bleed the brakes again.

Had to repair the red mk2 as well. Tickover went a but lumpy and mpg dropped a lot lol. Quick isv change and replace rubber vac pipes and runs better than ever. Mpg has gone from 13.6 to 47.9 on a steady run to local vw meeting this afternoon B)

Red golf is now sold and should be gone in 2 weeks. Cost £470 plus £120 on bits to sort a couple of issues but sold for £1200 so not to bad.

Got cracking on the white one this morning.

Front components are now all fully fitted and cabled. Dash all back together.

P1010179.jpg

Graphic and volume control all functional now.

P1010180.jpg

Made a simple ipod mount in the centre console.

P1010181.jpg

Looks like it's floating when in place.

P1010182.jpg

Also finished bonding on the rear arch's.

P1010183.jpg

Should be in for an mot in 2 weeks.

Cat 2 is all fitted now so dash is all back together now.

Rear speakers all cabled up now.

Sorted out insurance for one day to drop it off for MOT. Got to drop it off on the 19th and pick it back up on the 26th hopefully with 12 months ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

MOT was done this morning and passed with no problems.

Got my new windscreen from VW while it waiting for the MOT. Old screen is out and cleaned up a spare seal ready to fit in the morning.

Insurance gets changed over from the red one on saturday so will tax it then.

5 channel amp ordered so should get it soon. Made a template for size and tried it in the rear quarter ok. Will make some simple mounts to hold it in place.

Red golf went tonight but has gone to a good owner that will look after it.

Audio is all in and working now.

Installed my JL G6600 6 channel amp in rear quarter.

P1010184.jpg

Sounds spot on out of the box so just need to tweek the graphic to get the best out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleased but found a small part of a piston ring when i dropped the oil so it's going to be taken back off the road next week so i can strip the engine to have a closer look.

Purchased this for a run around for the time being. Mates had it at his garage for ages as nobody realy wants petrol passat.

AETV94584191_1b.jpg

£4500 for it with the 2.0 turbo fsi engine same as the octy vrs. Full sel spec with everything on it as ex demo car for vw dealer. Couple of jobs need doing but bargain i say.

£4500 for it with the 2.0 turbo fsi engine same as the octy vrs. Full sel spec with everything on it as ex demo car for vw dealer. Couple of jobs need doing but bargain i say.

Certainly does look like a bargain mate.......;)

Certainly does look like a bargain. Looks a little like a Lexus from that angle too.

Golf looking very tidy too. The shopped image of the transparent engine bay reminded me of a thread I saw a while ago. Some American lads had cut the bonnet and fitted a sunroof in it. Different approach I guess. Didn't look as bad as it sounds actually, if you're into that kind of thing :)

• 2 months later...

I just masked up the wheel and put some paint in a modified eye drop container and slowly filled it. Paint stays soft so let it dry a bit then smooth it off with white spirit on a cloth. Cleans up the edges nice but takes ages.

I've got the same problem with some 16" steels I've just had powdercoated gloss black, and was after a way of perfecting them. I was thinking a syringe with some thinned down gloss black paint in might work....

I like your idea of just filling up the channel with paint. I'm in no hurry so I can leave them to dry over a month or two if I have to.

Just wondering if you had any more ideas or tips on how to get the paint in there really?

Merci.

P.S. Epic project!

• 3 weeks later...

I did it in the end! It worked but it was fiddly and time consuming. I used a similar technique to you actually, but bought some 1cc syringes to dispense the paint instead.

Just used some smooth black hammerite, and some fancy masking tape. I set up four injection points around the wheel, and masked those areas to prevent any sloppy paint, then injected the paint and let gravity feed it around each quarter of the rim. Worked a treat in the end, and looks spot on now. I've let it cure over the last 2 weeks, and all is well.

• 2 months later...

Well the mk3 was only £450 as it was going to the scrappers due to loads of electrical faults :thumbup:

Picked it up and it was filthy. All the electrical problems were due to a fuse box and dodgy alarm install. All fixed in under an hour out of bits in the unit. No rust and passed mot on christmas eve with no problems B)

Well the mk3 was only £450 as it was going to the scrappers due to loads of electrical faults :thumbup:

Picked it up and it was filthy. All the electrical problems were due to a fuse box and dodgy alarm install. All fixed in under an hour out of bits in the unit. No rust and passed mot on christmas eve with no problems B)

Nice one :)

• 3 weeks later...

T5 is almost there now :D

P1010242.jpg

Should be with it's new owner soon.

Works T5 is getting there now.

P1010253.jpg

P1010258.jpg

P1010260.jpg

P1010263.jpg

Still loads to do on it but working 7 days a week does not help.

Passat has had some attension.

Finished the induction kit and remapped to 240bhp.

P1010272.jpg

Running lights fitted.

P1010268.jpg

Carbon wrapped the indicator housing while they were out.

Img_0104.jpg

Img_0102.jpg