how shall the car be driven when its brand new and until how many miles?

how shall the car be driven when its brand new and until how many miles?

i heard somewhere that the engines have already been run in the factory and they do not need a lot of miles on the road before one can start driving 'normally'....

It's not that they're run in, it's that manufacturing tolerances are a lot, lot better than they used to be. As long as you don't drive everywhere in either bottom or top gear all the time, most people probably don't need to bother with running-in these days... :thumbup:

Skoda owners manual recommends the following during first 1000km (translation from non English manual):

- Drive with the max. 3/4 of the RPMs in each gear (hard to control this one with DSG, as DSG shifts automatically at very low RPMs, so you can't really go above 3/4 unless you start to use the S mode). The red zone starts at 6000 (ends at 8000) and I am personally using max. 3 to 3500 now.

- Don't use kick-down function.

- Don't tow.

From 1000 to 1500km, continuously increase the load of the engine (use higher RPMs in each gear), so that an engine "settles" well and will get used to higher RPMs too...

After 1500km, you should be fine to drive "normally"....

This is what the guide says...you will find it is indeed very subjective, as many people do not really like to follow such instructions. I personally try to follow it...no need to use S mode with brand new engine.

I ran mine in by driving it like I normally do - I never push it from cold though and it usually does a min of 6+ miles before I put my foot down.

As standard mine produced higher than standard power and torque figures and it doesnt use any oil between services. :)

I found a guide somewhere that said warm the engine up properly and give it some stick. Full throttle but not high revs. Claimed it bedded in bits inside the engine.

I was going to follow the Skoda regimen but the TFSI was too much fun so I did the above. Gave it some welly when warm but didn't rev the t1ts off it. Engine has been fine and isn't using as much oil as many

Well, as you know hire cars get a good beasting from day one. I got my Vectra at 8 months old, 16k on the clock, came straight from Avis. Rolling roaded to 161hp, 21hp up from standard figure. I can only assume that's due to it's "interesting" past.

So, I'd be fully behind the "drive it flat out" notion.

I too am incredibly confused by this topic, I am awaiting delivery of my TFSI LE and was wondering the exact same thing.

Does anyone know of a guide by a reputable manufacturer (Like Cosworth Etc) that suggests that warming up and then drive hard is the correct thing to be doing. Not that I dont believe everyone who has already suggested that, I can see the sense in driving the engine hard when warm, but my old dad dosnt seem to think that is the correct thing to do. Bless, he still thinks that engines are formed by hand from a bloke with a piece of iron ore and a file.

Cheers

If you want to keep the car and/or look after it, then surely following Skoda's advice is the best option?This info comes from the engine designers (i.e. VAG). All this "rev it hard" stuff is just speculation by people who with all due respect, aren't really qualified to override Skoda's advice!

I (more or less) get in & drive most cars - my wife used to get a new company car every 15,000km (8 months) and if you stuffed around running them in you would go insane. That would be about 14 cars worth & we've never had an issue or had to add oil between services.

I was nice to the Octy & drove it home using big throttle openings & big over-runs. The idea was to get some gasses behind the rings & force them onto the cylinder wall so they bed properly. I got bored with that after about 200km & just drove it "normally". Power is good, Fuel economy excellent, no oil used in 15,000km.

Just common sense in truth coupled with a degree of mechanical sympathy. Care, as with any engine, not to over rev it when cold. Once warmed through, vary the engine load & speeds where possible. As the miles/kms accrue so the engine load and revs can increase.

Early variance is the key, driving around at a constant 30 mph can do as much harm in the long run as revving the nuts off of the thing. Oh another thing, not too many short runs.